Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I just A/Bed the two posters, and there's a surprising amount of subtle differences. The biggest difference, of course, is the removal of Chewie, C3P0, R2, Kanata, Poe, Phasma, and two stormtroopers and the subsequent embiggening of Han, Leia, BB8 and the X-Wings . But they even changed Finn's hair, for example. Anyway, maybe BB can make one of those things where you hover over and it switches to the other gif?

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the Kylo Ren Vader worshiping. It's no different than how the prequels built up Vader as this religious figure that decides the fate of the universe, when really he was just some robot dude that took orders from Peter Cushing.

The prequels set him up as a religious figure? What?

Well, there was the whole virgin birth thing. And the chosen one prophecy. But it's inaccurate to claim Vader was just some guy in the OT. He was very much the face of the Empire, an active commander who inspired fear in everyone around him. So it makes sense that thirty years on he would be held up as this paragon of the Empire and dark side, especially when his final turn away from it was unknown to almost everyone.

"I will finish what you started"

Palpatine started it! Vader was just following orders because he thought Palpy could save Padme!

The prequels were dumb....

Vader still helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi. He personally killed many of them. Regardless of whether that was on Palpatine's orders or not. Given there are probably no other Jedi at the start of TFA, I assume that's what Kylo intends to do.

Maybe Kylo isn't even talking to Vader's helmet. For all we know, it could be an edit the trailer guys did to make us believe that. But maybe he's talking about Jar-Jar (after all, he's the one who gave Palpatine full power and started the Clone War).

Exactly!

This bickering in pointless.

Palpatine started it! Vader was just following orders because he thought Palpy could save Padme!

You've been watching too many 'everything wrong with' videos on youtube, Jay.

The prequels were dumb....

Perhaps Vader was more of a figurehead of the Empire than Palpatine.

Vader was the Emperor's special agent who had enormous authority over the Empire's forces. I don't think it was ever explicitly stated in the OT how he ranked in the ladder of power of the Empire but he was second only to the Emperor with the most high ranking military leaders and bureaucrats hovering on his level or little lower. Star Wars showed how Grand Moff Tarkin treated Vader as a special underling but in TESB and ROTJ Vader was often calling the shots and commanding Admirals and commander of the Death Star II like underlings.

Always thought it was daft the way Imperial generals aboard the Death Star expressed great skepticism about the Force religion when their supreme leader was at that time widely known to be practicing the 'faith' and using it to steer their ideals in the right direction.

The prequels set him up as a religious figure? What?

Palpatine wasn't exactly being a public figure and someone as young as Kylo Ren might not know everything. Just like your generation knows old films (of different kind) only from memes and (mis)quotes. I think the "distant" past angle that they are going for is actually a cool thing. Bit too much like Jurassic World. But still cool.

Karol

Well I had one of my friends whistling Superman theme the other day and saying how it perfectly encapsulates Indiana Jones. And they were born in the mid-70's. So...

Karol

No, that was after her time. But people know this melody quite well and that's all that matters. They say "very good work, Alan Silvestri". But, still, they know it. Kids, especially.

Karol

There was perhaps a movement of resistance among some senior members of the Imperial hierarchy.

Rubbish! They weren't even some underground movement but in fact openly vocal with their insolent views - in the war room in front of Sith Lord Darth Vader himself no less. The Emperor's own emissary!

Well I had one of my friends whistling Superman theme the other day and saying how it perfectly encapsulates Indiana Jones. And they were born in the mid-70's. So...

Karol

I actually think you're making this up. I'd have believed you had you said Star Wars instead of Indiana Jones.

There was perhaps a movement of resistance among some senior members of the Imperial hierarchy.

Rubbish! They weren't even some underground movement but in fact openly vocal with their insolent views - in the war room in front of Sith Lord Darth Vader himself no less. The Emperor's own emissary!

I didn't say they were secret!

We all know how Kim Jong and Saddam deal with that sort of thing. Emperor Palpatine is such a lovely fella tho.

Cross my heart, week or two ago. I deleted them off FB straight after.

Karol

Sounds like he was having a laugh ;)