Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

On 12/20/2015 at 0:04 PM, Koray Savas said:

I'm surprised so many of you opted for the 3D showings. A deliberate choice, or was there no choice at all?

At my theater on opening night, if you were waiting in line for a 2D showing you had to wait in line outside in the cold. However, if you wanted see it in 3D, you could wait in line inside the nice warm building. So, to answer your question, there was definitely a choice, but with a catch. ;)

I have a gigantic 24 theater AMC within a 5 minute drive of my apartment.    TFA is showing on 5 screens I think.  Two standard, two 3D and one IMAX 3D.  Opening night sold out most shows, if not all, eventually.  Can't be entirely sure since I was too busy in the 7pm opening show to worry about anyone else ;)

It seems like quite a few had less options.  I think I've been spoiled as well!

On 21/10/2015 at 6:37 PM, Romão said:

I mean to say it will beat the Opening Weekend record in December with its opening day alone. I wasn't very clear

I just want to gloat a little :)

9 hours ago, Red said:

Beautiful. Poe Dameron was great. Wished he was in the movie more. 

Well, I'm sure he will have two movies to really develop. We just saw that character introduced. I'm really curious about what role he'll end up being.

That sucker is awesome!

Y'know, I think it would be kind of cool if Rey stayed the lead, Finn ended up as a lesser force user himself and the two of them didn't have a romance.

ADMIN NOTE: Posts continuing this conversation moved to the Spoilers thread starting here: CLICK

I just did some googling and found out its actually playing in IMAX in 2D in some US theaters, but not in New England.  Closest one to me is in Philadelphia.  Oh well.

On 12/28/2015 at 8:10 AM, publicist said:

Together with JURASSIC WORLD, 2015's top grossers for a change feature traditional scores with no RCP influence in sight. That is a good thing, mind you,

The new wave of orchestral composers are here to bring in the new age, lead by.....John Williams? :huh:

On 12/29/2015 at 11:49 AM, Jay said:

I just did some googling and found out its actually playing in IMAX in 2D in some US theaters, but not in New England.  Closest one to me is in Philadelphia.  Oh well.

Which one?  That would be preferable to 3D.  I planned on seeing it in IMAX this weekend but I might change my plans if I can locate a 2D IMAX theater in my area.

This page lists the 3D IMAX theaters first, then a separate section under it for 2D IMAX (though neither list is complete)

http://www.imax.com/news/star-wars-force-awakens-imax%C2%AE-tickets-sale-now

Here's the Philly IMAX in 2D:

https://tickets.fi.edu/WebStore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=11&C=36

Oh, it seems Redditers here are cataloguing which IMAX screens in the world are showing it in 2D

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3papjh/imax_70mm_2d_theatre_list/

So I guess Washington DC is actually the closest one to me.

On 12/29/2015 at 11:54 AM, nightscape94 said:

The new wave of orchestral composers are here to bring in the new age, lead by.....John Williams? :huh:

No. Just two very successful movies that show how old-fashioned can become immensely popular. Really a no-brainer, but the way Hollywood works since decades this means that other high-profile films will follow suit. Now we only need films without musical legacies hanging like millstones from their neck...

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I would need to go to England....

I've not seen IMAX 2D in England. The two biggest screens (Manchester and BFI London) only show IMAX 3D.

Which, of course, isn't IMAX at all.

EDIT: Oh wait, there is one screen in England showing it on 70 mm IMAX (Science Museum in London).

Karol

Yes, my earlier post had two links that listed that theater.  The Reddit link I provided even identifies it as "European Exclusive"

I thought that might have been the case. ;) But then, I'm avoiding all the SW threads at the moment. Can't stand any more of it, just too much SW everywhere. I had a couple of subject related articles planned for FOW. But in this flood, no one will notice it. So might as well just save it for later.

As for the 2D showing, I am slightly tempted to see it this way. After three viewings, the film sort of exhausts its appeal. And there is very little, if anything, that I want, or need, to say about it anymore. It's not like (you're going to hate me now)... Nolan where you can find new stuff and interpret things in various ways. Or even constantly argue about the merits of it. It's Star Wars, it is what it is. Yeah, it was fun. It was fun three times. But great cinema it ain't. I happen to agree with both positive and negative reviews. They are all right... from a certain point of view. So not sure if I need to spend another $110 (converted from Pound sterling) to see it again. If you include train and cinema tickets only.

Having said all that, I'm enjoying the hell out of John Williams' score.

Karol

Yea it'd be worth going to check it out in IMAX 2D if you'd only seen it once before, but not if you've already seen it three times.

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

OH Karol. I never knew you were one of the freaks. Three fuckin' times?

There's more music in the film than I can hear on album!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Go back to your Nolan Church!

You must feel Nolan around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the Hobbit subforum and the Other Topics.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

You must feel Nolan around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the Hobbit subforum and the Other Topics.

Karol

Nolany beings are we, not this crude franchise.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wait...

You didnt think it was hollow nihilistic crap?

From a certain point of view, that's exactly what it is. Search your feelings. ;)

Karol