Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_Harrison_Ford_Has_Signed_On_For_MultiFilm_Deal_Including_Episode_VII_154969.asp

Insteresting. If true it will probably mean that Solo dies in this trilogy. That is what Ford always wanted....

Even if Abrams and Kasdan are seriously overhauling Arndt's script, the basic story is pretty much laid out. Why would they begin prep if the story will drastically change?

But I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pauses production on this, a la Universal's moving Jurassic World from June 2014 to June 2015 when Colin Trevorrow reworked that script.

Even if Abrams and Kasdan are seriously overhauling Arndt's script, the basic story is pretty much laid out. Why would they begin prep if the story will drastically change?

Read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ryan/star-wars-episode-vii-script_b_4163853.html

I don't read Huffington Post for several reasons, but I know about the Leigh Brackett situation on Empire Strikes Back already.

And more damning is that Disney CEO Bob Iger wants this film out by summer 2015, despite Kathleen Kennedy and several production members wanting it to be delayed to get the best script possible. And ultimately, Abrams is siding with Iger on this.

Direction wise, JJ reminds me a bit of Brett Ratner (of the Rush Hour movies, and the third X-Men).

Very capable in a technical sense, and gets good performances from his actors, but that's basically it.

I think both Abrams and Ratner are only as good as the scripts they use.

I thought Red Dragon was good, also Family Man. While these aren't masterpieces, they certainly show Ratner can direct a good film given ther material.

It will be mediocre anyway.

Perhaps - in which case I'll have waited an extra six months to see a mediocre film. So no harm done either way.

Yeah, but you'll have seen a mediocre movie AND it'll be freezing outside when you'll leave the theater. Not good. Not good at all. A shitty day all the way through.

I live in southern California - I'll be lucky if it drops below 70 that day!

Anyone remember the last Christmas STAR WARS movie?

DAMN YOU!

I

was just going to post: Star Wars.... December... It's like some sort of... some sort of... Holiday Special...

:(

It'll be the best holiday special since the last holiday special!

I actually own a physical copy of it :lol:

Did you get it in a back alley deal, like in that Wierd Al video?

It'll be the best holiday special since the last holiday special!

I actually own a physical copy of it :lol:

Did you get it in a back alley deal, like in that Wierd Al video?

I wish my life was that cool! However, it was Weird Al related as:

EDIT:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/star-wars-episode-vii-release-date-set-for-december-18-2015/

No complaints from me. I'd rather wait for a worthy addition to the saga than see a mediocre film six months earlier.

The writing was on the wall for Episode VII hitting December 2015 for a while. Avatar opened on that EXACT same day back in 2009 -- and while I don't expect it to pull in the insane numbers the latter did -- it will be one of the highest grossing films of that year. Universal and Legendary's Warcraft will definitely move -- you DON'T go against a proven brand like Star Wars.

I find the Tomorrowland move more interesting.

And sadly, Episode VII WON'T open with the 20th Century Fox logo or the Newman fanfare.

http://www.thewrap.com/next-star-wars-will-major-change-opening-fox-fanfare/

Dunno if the film will open with Disney's logo, or whether it'll stay off the film similar to Marvel Studios' post-Paramount films.

Why would they not open with the Disney logo if they arent gonna go with the Fox one?

Um, that might be a contractual thing Disney signed? There's a reason the post-Paramount Marvel Studios film simply open with Marvel logo, but not the Disney logo. The only visible sign of Disney's ownership is the moniker at the end: "Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures."

Why is this suddenly news? Surely the lack of a 20th Century Fox Fanfare was obvious when Disney bought Lucasfilm?

Fox still owns the distribution rights to the original Star Wars -- something that Disney wants badly. Would've thought the two would done something like the Paramount-Disney agreement: Disney agrees to use the Fox logo and fanfare on the next 2-3 films, Fox gets a box office percentage, and Disney finally gets the distribution rights to Star Wars on home video.

Disney get the home video distribution rights at the end of the decade anyway (in time for a "complete" box set release). Fox have A New Hope for ever but it's over that that a deal will be made.

Disney get the home video distribution rights at the end of the decade anyway (in time for a "complete" box set release). Fox have A New Hope for ever but it's over that that a deal will be made.

I know about the other five films reverting to Disney in May 2020. I just wonder how the Lucasfilm deal extends to Episodes VII - IX... will the film open with that lame new Disney logo, Lucasfilm/Bad Robot logos, then the opening scroll? Or will Disney keep a hands-off approach and keep their logo off like the Marvel films?

Should be interesting to see once Disney unveils the first teaser poster. If it just has the Lucasfilm and Bad Robot signs at the bottom, then we'll know.

Disney paid 4 billion, they're going to make sure their logo is in front. I doubt it will be the regular one, and might just be a static one with a new fanfare composed by Williams accompanying the logos before "A Long Time Ago...."

Anyone who thought that Disney was going to make a deal to put FOX's logo in front of their film were crazy. Paramount already had a deal to release movies in place, that's why they got it for the Marvel films.

We can always hope Spielberg will suddenly announce something and knock it out in 6 months like Munich.

As I said before, Spielberg's next film will be timed exactly to interfere with the Episode 7 scoring process. It's as sure as the sun setting at night. And it will have a release date 3 weeks after Episode 7

Disney paid 4 billion, they're going to make sure their logo is in front. I doubt it will be the regular one, and might just be a static one with a new fanfare composed by Williams accompanying the logos before "A Long Time Ago...."

Anyone who thought that Disney was going to make a deal to put FOX's logo in front of their film were crazy. Paramount already had a deal to release movies in place, that's why they got it for the Marvel films.

I agree!

We can always hope Spielberg will suddenly announce something and knock it out in 6 months like Munich.

As I said before, Spielberg's next film will be timed exactly to interfere with the Episode 7 scoring process. It's as sure as the sun setting at night. And it will have a release date 3 weeks after Episode 7

Well, at least he'll probably start working on Tintin 2 late next year. :P

Yes, and the Spielberg film will be somekinda drama which doesn't require a very melodic, upfront score. But nevertheless JW will have leave some of the work on SW7 in the hands of Conrad Pope, with Gia contributing some late replacement cues

It is pretty impressive how Spielberg films managed to interfere with the scoring of Star Wars ep 2, Harry Potter 2, Harry Potter 3, and Star Wars ep 3, but not Memoirs of a Geisha.

Paramount's distribution agreement, prior to the October 2009 Disney acquisition, extended to Iron Man 1-3, Captain America, Thor and The Avengers. Disney could've put their logo on Thor: The Dark World onwards, but they didn't. They kept it off.

Disney paid the same amount to own both companies. It could very well be that Disney's logo will be front-and-center, like WB's involvement with The Clone Wars, or Disney could play the hands-off approach.