Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

In my opinion, Disney is aiming to recapture the magic of the original trilogy.

I don't think there is anyone more capable of doing that than J.J. Abrams.

The man made Super 8. He understand what made the early Spielberg/Lucas films work.

Yes, I'm excited about this.

I agree. And I hope this marks the end of Abram's involvement in Star Trek as well, at least as a director. That's just too much power over Geekdom for one geek to have.

But I like the pick because it's safe.

That's the difference between you and me, Nick. I never want 'safe'. I want someone who is not afraid to color outside the lines. IMO, it's the only way to achieve greatness. Yes, it might go terribly wrong too but that's the risk I expect people are willing to take. With Abrams, it's almost as if I already know what I will get from the new Star Wars movie.

There's one thing I see as positive: Abrams' characters, even though shallow as hell, don't feel as wooden as Lucas' characters (as seen in the prequels and maybe ROTJ).

Talking about safe choices: I would've preferred Whedon (as a writer and director). He's a Star Wars fanboy too but he knows how to make interesting duels/confrontations with the villain (see Firefly/Serenity).

Alex

That's the difference between you and me, Nick. I never want 'safe'. I want someone who is not afraid to color outside the lines. IMO, it's the only way to achieve greatness.

Not nessecarily.

That's the difference between you and me, Nick. I never want 'safe'.

Ugh. And I was starting to like you.

I'm assuming you despise Williams music as well, for similar reasons. You know, because he takes so many risks with his scores.

I'm sorry you don't understand.

Good grief.

P.S. For those thinking Giacchino or any other composer offered Star Wars would turn it down in deference to anyone else....

Ha!

Giacchino wouldn't. John Williams wouldn't if he weren't in partial retirement. No composer would unless he felt completely inadequate for the job.

He will call John (Because Giacchino is a civil man), John will give his blessing (because John is a civil man), and the contract is signed.

I'm assuming you despise Williams music as well, for similar reasons. You know, because he takes so many risks with his scores.

Good grief.

Well, you know what to do. Just click ignore and make me disappear. It's easy.

He will call John (Because Giacchino is a civil man), John will give his blessing (because John is a civil man), and the contract is signed.

Sorta like when Williams scored Family Plot.

And yes you're right.

1) John Williams won't be scoring this, and won't even play the "collaborative" role that everyone is hoping for. It's a shame, but that's the truth.

2) there's no way in hell Giacchino is denying the role. He's the man scoring Star Wars now. I'm very excited about it to be honest.

Sorta like when Williams scored Family Plot.

And yes you're right.

1) John Williams won't be scoring this, and won't even play the "collaborative" role that everyone is hoping for. It's a shame, but that's the truth.

2) there's no way in hell Giacchino is denying the role. He's the man scoring Star Wars now. I'm very excited about it to be honest.

I bet Giacchino can't believe his luck but he's scared somewhere.

On 1/26/2013 at 1:17 PM, Alexcremers said:
On 1/26/2013 at 1:10 PM, Nick66 said:
On 1/26/2013 at 1:00 PM, Alexcremers said:
On 1/26/2013 at 12:09 PM, Nick66 said:

Good grief.

Since you've already pre-judged the Abrams movie without seeing it, I'm not sure there's much need continue.

Yeah, typical "YES!! oh crapcrapcrap." moment.

No doubt he's freaking out.

He probably started writing themes in the adrenaline rush!

I can picture him, all sweating, his hands shaking, trying to write down notes... "Must... concentrate..."

Then, the phone rings... "Hey, Gia, it's JJ! Heard the news? Yeah, I'm so freaking happy! It's so cool! Now, about the music... I was thinking of hiring a youngster called Djabaoui. Have you heard about him?"

Blumenkohl still hasn't ignored a single one of you worthless scumbags because he believes you need a little crap in your life to appreciate all the good.

Except JWFan is a LOT of crap to add to your life. ;)

I can picture him, all sweating, his hands shaking, trying to write down notes... "Must... concentrate..."

Then, the phone rings... "Hey, Gia, it's JJ! Heard the news? Yeah, I'm so freaking happy! It's so cool! Now, about the music... I was thinking of hiring a youngster called Djabaoui. Have you heard about him?"

If Williams is ever going to be considered, I'm pretty sure Giacchino is going to do whatever it takes to make sure that offer is never made or accepted...

Sandor, you are an eternal optimist.

Even if they had hired Michael Bay, you would have seen the silver lining....

No, that would have been an actual reason to be pessimistic.

Having J.J. Abrams helming this is not.

But that's something some here just don't see anymore.

I don't see evidence of that in Super 8. But god loves a trier.

Your loss, really. That movie is a winner on so many levels.

Its heart was certainly in the right place, but for me it felt like a pretender. I'd have possibly preferred it if the Spielberg influence wasn't so obvious; if Abrams had instead attempted to put his own distinct stamp on the coming of age genre rather than thumbing through his Spielberg handbook every scene in search of inspiration. As a result the mimicry felt a little contrived, I felt. The trouble is, I'm not sure Abrams has developed a style yet, or at least something which would allow him to place a 'stamp' on a something he's made.

Don't get me wrong; I quite enjoyed Super 8 for what it was, but it's certainly no magical Spielbergian movie. No chance. Something like The Iron Giant is closer to that for me.

I don't see evidence of that in Super 8. But god loves a trier.

Your loss, really. That movie is a winner on so many levels.

It's heart was certainly in the right place, but for me it felt like a pretender. I'd have possibly preferred it if the Spielberg influence wasn't so obvious; if Abrams had instead attempted to put his own distinct stamp on the coming of age genre rather than thumbing through his Spielberg handbook every scene in search of inspiration. As a result the mimicry felt a little contrived, I felt. The trouble is, I'm not sure Abrams has developed a style yet, or at least something which would allow him to place a 'stamp' on a something he's made.

Don't get me wrong; I quite enjoyed Super 8 for what it was, but it's certainly no magical Spielbergian movie. No chance. Something like The Iron Giant is closer to that for me.

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well, but I wasn't as charmed by it as a lot of people apparently were. It has its moments, and it's obvious he's trying capture early Spielberg, but he really doesn't quite pull it off. There's a difference between being inspired by another's art, capturing its essence and making it your own...and outright mimicry. In other words, bad artists copy, good artists steal.

And setting aside the lens flare thing, he's definitely going to have to abandon his quasi-documentary style for this movie...it just won't work with Star Wars.

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well, but I wasn't as charmed by it as a lot of people apparently were. It has its moments, and it's obvious he's trying capture early Spielberg, but he really doesn't quite pull it off. There's a difference between being inspired by another's art, capturing its essence and making it your own...and outright mimicry. In other words, bad artists copy, good artists steal.

Indeed. It was enjoyable, but ultimately unremarkable. It didn't quite have the char and Spielbergian emotions it aspired to portray.

And setting aside the lens flare thing, he's definitely going to have to abandon his quasi-documentary style for this movie...it just won't work with Star Wars.

And somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we ended up with...

Lee, these are the movies I enjoy from Spielberg:

Jaws

Close Encounters

Raiders

Temple of Doom

Last Crusade

Lincoln

Everything else can be stolen and destroyed by aliens and I won't be perturbed.

What's wrong with Duel, Sugarland Express, ET, Empire of the Sun, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, AI, Catch Me If You Can, Munich and Tintin?

Alex has always limited himself because of his presumptions.

Yep

I don't understand, how am I limiting myself? I would like to hear it from you. You agree, so you must have some thoughts about it.

I don't enjoy sitting through them.

It must kinda suck to be you.

At least my name is not Sandy or Sandapoo or whatever you call yourself.

Yep, Blumenkohl is really the shit.

But seriously; you really start to joke about names?! Wtf are you? 12?

Good grief.

You know Alex, the difference between you I and isn't that I like to play it safe and you don't. The fact that I worked in Afghanistan, and then Uzbekistan for three years probably negates that. The difference is I wouldn't presume to know what someone is, or isn't inclined to think based on a few words in an internet forum. And I certainly wouldn't express it in the manner you did. But since you've already pre-judged the Abrams movie without seeing it, and based on your interaction with some others I've seen on here, I'm assuming this is something you do with some regularity.

You probably didn't even mean it to be rude, but you likely need to get out and socialize more.

Indeed, no crudeness was meant. You said you like safe but that's something I never want to see in art. That's all. Star Wars wasn't 'safe' in 1977.

I don't enjoy sitting through them.

It must kinda suck to be you.

At least my name is not Sandy or Sandapoo or whatever you call yourself.

Yep, Blumenkohl is really the shit.

But seriously; you really start to joke about names?! Wtf are you? 12?

At least Roald had a whimsical charm. Now you're just some Dwarf out of World of Warcraft.