Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Who's Thrawn? I'm rusty on my Star Wars lore.

From the Zahn novels. I for one hope the new films will stay far away from that material or any of the novels.

Who's Thrawn? I'm rusty on my Star Wars lore.

The baddie in the first of the Star Wars spin-off novels that appeared in the wilderness years between Jedi and Phantom Menace. The books are actually highly regarded among Star Wars fans, though I feel they're a bit overrated. Then again, those are the only EU novels I read, and it was years ago, so I don't have much to compare them to.

Lucas' biographer said that he read story outlines for episodes VII-XII (yes, for TWELVE movies), and I believe him (he described VII-IX as "excellent"). Apparently, Disney has these specs now and my guess is that the movies will be based at least partially on those. I doubt the EU stuff will factor in at all, unless they do some spin-off movies.

The books are good. It's just not Star Wars. Zahn got a lot of freedom and in the end, he just didn't understand the foundation of the mythology. Thrawn belongs in another universe.

They're gonna redesign X-Wings again aren't they?

God, stop crying... I can hear the whining behind every single word you write.

God, stop crying... I can hear the whining behind every single word you write.

Will do, Sandal.

Thrawn_TIE_Fighter.jpg

Aah, TIE Fighter.

The game should be canon.

They don't even have to use them. There are still a lot of letters than can use for new ships.

I mean, they only used A, B, X and Y, if I'm not mistaken. Imagine the possibilities! P-Wing! Q-Wing! F-Wing!

He will call John (Because Giacchino is a civil man), John will give his blessing (because John is a civil man), and the contract is signed.

That's pretty much the logical approach of a man like Gia. Anyway, for those saying Super 8 had no JW resemblance, what about that fantastic homage to the military theme?

Again, there's a reason he's doing a sabbatical right now, because that man knows what's coming up!

Not only does he mimick Spielberg with his films, but he also mimicks him in life, with the number of projects he's attached to. What a copycat.

And religion.

Don't get me wrong, if Williams writes one more score I'd be interested but based on what I heard for the last 2, I think he's said all he can on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, if Williams writes one more score I'd be interested but based on what I heard for the last 2, I think he's said all he can on the subject.

Which is a fair enough assessment. An artist is just as likely to get bored working on the same thing after almost 40 years.

Which is a fair enough assessment. An artist is just as likely to get bored working on the same thing after almost 40 years.

That's why artists should make it new ... for themselves and for the audience.

That's why artists should make it new ... for themselves and for the audience.

The audience generally doesn't want something new (I mean, "new" according to you). They want what they've already been offered, just with a new package.

Certainly, the point highest on the agenda is that it must be appealing to the latest generation of kids who have little or no affection for the old movies or the prequels. That in itself means 'change'.

Certainly, the point highest on the agenda is that it must be appealing to the latest generation of kids who have little or no affection for the old movies or the prequels. That in itself means 'change'.

They have more affection for them than you realise.

Or ... they have less affection for them than YOU realize, Sandor.

I still think this will just be a sequel to Jedi instead of a genuine new thing.

?

I still think this will just be a sequel to Jedi instead of a genuine new thing.

?

They could start a new story, that might even have a loose tie to the story of Luke Skywalker, or they could insist on keep following the demise of the Empire, the OT characters and their descendants nobody cares about, everything under the premises, expectations and plot points of the previous six films, up to and including the failures of these films. Basically, either a new '77 Star Wars, a genuine reboot with the aim of telling an ambitious story in the SW universe, or an Episode VII. Personally I prefer the former, but we're surely going to see something like the later.

It had the ultimate happy ending. The whole galaxy was partying. The dictator is dead. The Empire is no more. That's a good basis for a new beginning, Chaac.

Chaac is new generation. He's says he's not really interested. Huhuhhuhuh

Yeah, if that is an indication on how your 'profound' assertions regarding film and film history are founded it is of little wonder that people have chosen to ignore you... ;)

Still, this is JWfan. This is Star Wars territory! Once you leave the safe and cozy Star Wars bubble that is JWfan, you'll find out that Star Wars is not that hot anymore with the 14 and 15-year-olds of today, Sandor. It's simply unnatural for a new generation to be spaced out about a bunch of old movies. Kids today have LOTR, The Avengers and Twilight ... ;)

Still, this is JWfan. This is Star Wars territory! Once you leave the safe and cozy Star Wars bubble that is JWfan, you'll find out that Star Wars is not that hot anymore with the 14 and 15-year-olds of today, Sandor. It's simply unnatural for a new generation to be spaced out about a bunch of old movies. ;)

I cannot completely disprove you. Of course Star Wars is not as hot with the new generations as it was with ours. Isn't it a bit farfetched to even consider that..?

All I know is: I work as a teacher. I see about 500 students every day. Many of my friends are teachers as well. We're often amazed how much the newer generations know about Star Wars and how well some of the characters and concepts have become part of our popular cultural heritage.

The 10 year olds: they don't know Jack Sparrow anymore. Or Frodo. Or any of the Avatar characters. But they all know Darth Vader and Yoda. They know the logo, the music, lightsabers, The Clone Wars, ...

This is not me bluffing or anything. It is the truth.

Now it goes perhaps a bit too far to state that they have an actual affection for the (original) films, but there is something about the franchise that is enduring. It's the biggest, most popular film ever made IMO.

Now it goes perhaps a bit too far to state that they have an actual affection for the films, but there is something about the franchise that is enduring. It's the biggest, most popular film ever made IMO.

Thank endless marketing for that! ;)

But yes, kids are still on Star Wars. It may be the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy, but characters like Darth Vader is still fresh on their minds. And these kids are going to eat up these new Star Wars films quite quickly.

Still, this is JWfan. This is Star Wars territory! Once you leave the safe and cozy Star Wars bubble that is JWfan, you'll find out that Star Wars is not that hot anymore with the 14 and 15-year-olds of today, Sandor. It's simply unnatural for a new generation to be spaced out about a bunch of old movies. ;)

Again; show me evidence of these claims..? This is your assumption. It fits your reality.

I cannot completely disprove you.

All I know is: I work as a teacher. I see about 500 students every day. Many of my friends are teachers as well. We're often amazed how much the newer generations know about Star Wars and how well some of the characters and concepts have become part of our popular cultural heritage.

The 10 year olds: they don't know Jack Sparrow anymore. Or Frodo. Or any of the Avatar characters. But they all know Darth Vader and Yoda. They know the logo, the music, lightsabers, The Clone Wars, ...

This is not me bluffing or anything. It is the truth.

Now it goes perhaps a bit too far to state that they have an actual affection for the films, but there is something about the franchise that is enduring. It's the biggest, most popular film ever made IMO.

Sandor, you're 100% right, of course. It's frankly stunning to me, some of the claims about SW being made on this thread that have absolutely no basis, whatsoever, in reality. It's almost like an alternative universe. There's something to be said for separating your personal feelings about something from facts. I personally despise the Twilight phenomena but would never deny its popularity simply because of that.

You'd think, from some of what's being said around here, that Disney basically bought lemon that no one wants to see. SW has impacted every generation since its release, including during the wilderness years between Jedi and Phantom menace...and will continue to. The cultural awareness world wide of these films is through the roof, and surpasses pretty much any franchise going with the possibly exception of Harry Potter right now. Show almost anyone, anywhere in the developed world a picture of Darth Vaders helmet and they'll recognize it. You can underestimate, or deny, that kind of cultural power.

These films are going go through the roof if they're only halfway decent. You'll have people who grew up with the original trilogy going for the nostalgia factor...people who grew up with the PT because they're still into it...and a whole new generation of kids who will be seeing for the very first time....some because they want to, some because they're parents are dragging them there. Phantom Menace, an awful film, is the biggest grossing SW movie to date because of those reasons.

Hating on SW is fine, but obtuseness is not an attractive quality.

I, for one, grew up on Star Wars even though ROTJ was released three years before I was born! Those films are amazing. Plain and simple. I used to talk my parents into getting me every Star Wars book, game, comic, toy, etc. The story is great. The world is astounding. I am completely excited for the new set of movies, I think J.J. is the right man for the job.

What about the music though? Giacchino? He's definitely qualified but I feel like he rushes things. He would need to really spend the time on the score if it's to be of Star Wars caliber. It's great to work quickly and on several projects at once, but not for something like this (unless you are, of course, John Williams).

Any other ideas for composers? I would love to see Joel McNeely take a crack at it, if only because he took the reins for Williams once before (and Shadows of the Empire was a GREAT soundtrack).

I'm holding out hope that John has a few more Star Wars movies left in him though.