Have you seen Bridge of Spies ?

King Mark

30 members have voted

1. 1. have you seen bridge of spies

• yes
    • no

It's a good one. I wouldn't say it's amazing or one of his very best dramas IMO (though some people are calling it his best since Saving Private Ryan?) but he keeps it moving, just gets a little cluttered in the second half where you start getting thrown a lot of information in the dialogue and meeting various characters for just a scene or two. Pretty talky, overall, but not to the extent that Lincoln was. This has more "cinema" to it. Not as intense as Munich either, though, but Michael Kahn aced it in a lot of places and the climax is actually great, totally worth the buildup. Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance are both really good (though I never really felt like it got too deep into Hanks' character), it's got a cool plane crash and a couple other standout sequences like always for Spielberg. Newman's score is fine but doesn't really feel crucial. He gets a couple montages and the music is quite effective in the climax. Worth seeing.

• 5 weeks later...

You should. It's a superb film.

Then how cum it didn't make a quadra ZILLION dollars in it's first week?

Two things that are getting old.

Hanks and Spielbergo....

• 5 weeks later...

Thomas Newman da Spielberg filmine çok yakışmış! Gayet güzeldi. Özellikle soundtrack albümde "Homecoming"teki temalara bayıldım. John Williams daha iyisini yapardı diye tartışmanın hiç gereği yok aslında:) müzikler filmde çok iyi çalışıyor. Bu adamların hepsi işlerini çok iyi biliyor ve yapıyorlar. Saygı duyuyorum. Selamlar. 

1 minute ago, serdar_askin said:

Thomas Newman da Spielberg filmine çok yakışmış! Gayet güzeldi. Özellikle soundtrack albümde "Homecoming"teki temalara bayıldım. John Williams daha iyisini yapardı diye tartışmanın hiç gereği yok aslında:) müzikler filmde çok iyi çalışıyor. Bu adamların hepsi işlerini çok iyi biliyor ve yapıyorlar. Saygı duyuyorum. Selamlar. 

What?

Does he offer us insult?

Don't worry. I'll translate it soon. :))

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What?

Does he offer us insult?

There is no bad words in my mesaage. I tried to explain easily in Turkish :) how I loved the score so much. 

It says something along the lines of this: "Thomas Newman made a far better effort than Williams would have made, IMO :). The 'Homecoming' cue, for example, is a lot more compelling and profound than the War Horse cue of the same name."

Crush him! Make him suffer!

He's there for like half the movie, but he was great. And he's definitely got a lot of buzz and I'm sure that'll get him an Oscar nod.

Parts of it are rather good, others kind of pedestrian. I even liked Hanks here. But its still your typical "history-lesson" Spielberg flick.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Ummm...yes. Supporting actor.

They usually aren't in every scene

Well yes. I was just surprised by all the hype Rylance was getting, and came out of the film wishing I got to see more of him.

In the end, I found the film a bit of a strange story to tell. It begins with Hanks defending the American judicial system like your good ol' Atticus Finch, and then halfway through the movie, this noble crusade is abandoned for an exchange that was convenient for both nations. I get that that's what actually ended up happening, but wasn't quite sure why Spielberg felt so inclined to share it, or what he was trying to say here.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 0:57 PM, king mark said:

no

The other Spielberg flims I havent seen are Sugarland Express and Duel

Sugarland Express is one of the best films of it's genre. Superb acting, a good but not great score, and a heart ripping conclusion.

Duel while effective is just a tv movie. A Tuesday night movie of the week.

I like DUEL very much. It's one movie where i sat there and marvelled at the blocking and set up of single scenes. Happens rarely

As for BOS...i may be too close to the proceedings but i found it a mighty boring slog for what was one of the most suspenseful periods in history. There are so many great stories out there. Tunnels, escapes, exchanges, fates...and Spielberg got THIS out of it? Big disappointment...

I thought this was a really good film which could have been a great film with a better composer. So typical of me to post this on the JWFan board.

Newman's fairly pedestrian score drags the film down a bit, I feel. No way that would have happened with a Williams score, however small or short.