Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

Now does seem like the right time to start using Williams to hype the movie. It's been a little disheartening, musically....I guess it's paranoid but it feels like they don't think Williams' music is badass or sexy enough on its own. Gotta add the drums and brooding efffects. Of course they're not gonna make the actual score sound like that, but it's kinda like, so the real shit can't sell a Star Wars movie to the masses? Star Wars music isn't cool enough for Star Wars anymore? Doesn't capture the right atmosphere? Or what? I don't get it.

yeah, I'm beginning to think along those lines

Has anyone see the new TV spot? There is this beautiful new melody that is characteristically Williams-esque. It shares a chord structure with "Buckbeak's Flight" from HP3. This same chord progression can also be heard towards the end of trailer number 3. I know that it's most likely another composer scoring these recent trailers but this is the first time we're hearing a new theme and I wouldn't be surprised if whomever it was, had access to the Force Awakens score.

In my heart, I think this may be Ray's theme.

Decide for yourself:

I mean I'm sure it's a different composer for the trailer but the melody itself may very well be quoting a theme from the film. In particular the angular climb at the end of the phrase suggests a preparation for a re-statement of the melody an 8ve higher which is something that leads me to believe it might be a Williams melodic fragment.

Well it is scored beat by beat to this new footage. Just because John may have recorded the theme for the film doesn't mean it's official version would fit the timing of the trailer. It's possible another composer made the new Williams theme a feature of his arrangement for this new TV spot.

I have a doubt now. When the Interstellar teaser surfaced I proclaimed that the music was probably just drawn from a bit of underscore.

I know nothing. Nothing!

anyone can imitate Zimmer though

anyone can imitate Zimmer though

And anyone can imitate Williams too, as has been proved with the various TFA trailers, where everytime JWFANers kept on claiming this was music composed by Williams even though it wasn't.

I know nothing. Nothing!

What else is new?

I've good reason to believe that this particular TV spot is the first to feature music from the actual score...

and what's that?

I think it sounds more like BB-8's theme, personally.

BB-8's theme will sound like Snowy's theme

I've good reason to believe that this particular TV spot is the first to feature music from the actual score...

and what's that?

He is John Williams! :o

The other person in his profile picture is a random fan who happened to pass by while the picture was being taken.

and what's that?

He is John Williams! :o

The other person in his profile picture is a random fan who happened to pass by while the picture was being taken.

;)

Let's just say that one of my FB friends is someone who would definately know and he hinted that Thursday evening is the moment the world will be exposed to hearing a first snippet from the score. That's really I can say about it. Just don't be too surprised if the music ends up in the finished film...

maybe the compression is making it sound synthy, or they replaced Williams score by a patchwork of random trailer composers

K.M. now more confused than ever

And there's yet another variation of Yoda and the Force fanfare at the end

Perhaps that part is a different take from the trailer 2 music. The build certainly sounds more Williamsy than the what made it into the final trailer 2 music.

That's it, it's him!

Indianagirl is gonna be disappointed in me.

You lied to us!

grand-moff-tarkin.jpg?w=300

I have a doubt now. When the Interstellar teaser surfaced I proclaimed that the music was probably just drawn from a bit of underscore.

I know nothing. Nothing!

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe!

pyreaus_inspired_manifestation_yggdrasil

In all seriousness, I don't think it sounds that great in this TV spot. It sounds like a mockup. If this is Williams, I'll obviously give it a chance, whether it's Rey's theme or Kanata's theme or a one-off bit of underscore. There are plenty of good Williams tunes that if I heard the first few bars compressed, cut up, and out of context, they wouldn't make an immediate impression on me either. If it's legit, I'll just say it was an underwhelming premiere and I'll wait to see where he takes it musically and narratively.

Everything before 0.38 sounds like a synth mockup of a Williams orchestrated concert suite. The next 4 seconds are generic trailer drum beats. 0.42 onwards sounds like a variation of what Williams recorded for trailer 2, also a synth mockup.

Bizarre as it may sound, but wouldn't the marketing company simply be more comfortable using synth versions of the music for marketing because A) Maybe there's no union fees if they avoid the actual sessions and B) they can time it specifically to their trailers.

After all, marketing companies do have synth musicians on their payroll making trailer music. Is it that much of a stretch that they took JW's sheet music and transposed it for marketing purposes?

Everything before 0.38 sounds like a synth mockup of a Williams orchestrated concert suite. The next 4 seconds are generic trailer drum beats. 0.42 onwards sounds like a variation of what Williams recorded for trailer 2, also a synth mockup.

Bizarre as it may sound, but wouldn't the marketing company simply be more comfortable using synth versions of the music for marketing because A) Maybe there's no union fees if they avoid the actual sessions and B) they can time it specifically to their trailers.

After all, marketing companies do have synth musicians on their payroll making trailer music. Is it that much of a stretch that they took JW's sheet music and transposed it for marketing purposes?

Now that I've read the messages again, the latter could easily be the case.

If I were to guess, I would say it seems like a new Williams theme too.

Because otherwise it would be so random. Up till now they have ONLY featured re-arrangements of franchise themes in all the promos. They won't suddenly feature non franchise music.

So a new theme likely might mean that it is a new theme from Williams for the franchise.