Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

People have been preaching the death of orchestral music for centuries. You are as wrong as everyone before you.

(I am talking about film scoring only, not the classic orchestra)

it's work in progress, we see it live, in front of us :

-more and more virtual instruments in movie scoring, Tv Shows

-fewer composers who know write for orchestra (James Newton Howard, John Powel...)

-the rise of computers, samples libraries

where are the new Goldsmith, Kamen, Horner, Morricone, Barry, Goldenthal ?

they have been replaced by Remote Control : Jablonsky, Djawadi etc

Correct. I predict a renaissance of purely orchestral film scores in the 2020s.

hope you're right, but prediction based on what ?

People have been preaching the death of orchestral music for centuries. You are as wrong as everyone before you.

(I am talking about film scoring only, not the classic orchestra)

it's work in progress, we see it live, in front of us :

-more and more virtual instruments in movie scoring, Tv Shows

-fewer composers who know write for orchestra (James Newton Howard, John Powel...)

-the rise of computers, samples libraries

where are the new Goldsmith, Kamen, Horner, Morricone, Barry, Goldenthal ?

they have been replaced by Remote Control : Jablonsky, Djawadi etc

The fakers of the world may find success in certain areas but their limits will always be found out quickly and they'll be typecast into the only things they know how to do. Hollywood is not entirely without taste, as they have proven only in the last few years by making Desplat their new favorite guy. It's no coincidence, there's a reason he's able to work as fast as he does, in as many genres as he does, and on the scale that he does while still maintaining a certain level of quality. Whether or not one considers him an "all-timer," he's no chump. I'm certain it will only ever be guys like him who are in serious demand by the widest variety of studios and directors.

That would be unfortunate if you mean that to the exclusion of anything else. The fusion of the orchestra with electronics *is* the "flagship" future of composed music. It is a good and permanent addition, as surely as something like the advent of the modern brass section was. New sonic resources should be embraced and celebrated.

But if you mean that there will be more diversity in what studios will allow, and consequently some more purely "acoustic" scores, then I share your hope.

The fusion of the orchestra with electronics *is* the "flagship" future of composed music. It is a good and permanent addition, as surely as something like the advent of the modern brass section was. New sonic resources should be embraced and celebrated.

Back in the day, the piano-forte was top-notch technology, gradually embraced as a soloist instrument, and then even as a member of the orchestra (unthinkable in the early days of the piano). I agree with you, new instruments, including computers, expand the range of possibilities for composers to explore and create. As long as music composing goes on, so will be the addition of new resources.

I had some doubts myself at first listen

but this passage alone is enough to be convinced :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcf4rkp0MA

There is too much convergence : a trailer guy don't know what a harp glissando is, the use of Vader's theme chords, and the sound/position of the harp

Wait a second. The main point in this video breakdown is to show the connection between the harp gliss in both trailers. Which is fine, but the second teaser wasn't Williams.

There is too much convergence : a trailer guy don't know what a harp glissando is, the use of Vader's theme chords, and the sound/position of the harp

Wait a second. The main point in this video breakdown is to show the connection between the harp gliss in both trailers. Which is fine, but the second teaser wasn't Williams.

The second teaser was partially, but not entirely, scored by Williams. It is not known specifically which parts were scored by Williams.

Which is fine, but the second teaser wasn't Williams.

Actually if you are talking about the Force theme part of his video:

2:09 of this video:

Which is fine, but the second teaser wasn't Williams.

Actually if you are talking about the Force theme part of his video:

2:09 of this video:

well seen !

I have been fooled by tone's change (it's actually a pitched up version of this track)

The second teaser was partially, but not entirely, scored by Williams. It is not known specifically which parts were scored by Williams.

Williams has probably recorded the center part (just after the New Hope take) and the final part of this teaser.

Let's see harp position after the New Hope music :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaA3zyyAYE

That would be unfortunate if you mean that to the exclusion of anything else. The fusion of the orchestra with electronics *is* the "flagship" future of composed music. It is a good and permanent addition, as surely as something like the advent of the modern brass section was. New sonic resources should be embraced and celebrated.

But if you mean that there will be more diversity in what studios will allow, and consequently some more purely "acoustic" scores, then I share your hope.

Due to the fact that I started listening to film (and pop) music in the pre-Star Wars era, I naturally embrace any addition or trend regarding the use of different instruments, and thus I don't consider those changes to be good or bad by themseves. I just get easily bored by the overuse of certain clichés and I'm more lenient with others -as it's probably your case, from a different perspective.

Man of Steel and Interstellar are two examples of "non purely orchestral" scores I enjoyed recently (especially the latter). I'm sure whatever evolves from that sound will bring us high quality scores in the coming years.

A transformed Yoda's theme with a touch of Chamber of Secrets...

Nicely developed - could be John.

BB-8

Good. Now start trying to improve yourself.

Thanks

I'll start by studying this...I hope it will show me the right path

Hans Zimmer awakens!

BB-8

Williams is playing here with Vader's theme...he is using only a little part of the melody and chords.

We know that Vader has a special rôle in this movie, a shadow of the past...the darker part fits perfectly to what we know about Kylo Ren (his fascination for Vader). This second part is well orchestrated, it's clearly Williams at work.

Even the slow rythmic of the beginning can be associated to a slower version of Imperial March

I think we have here a mix between Rey's theme and Kylo Ren's theme...or maybe a new "family" theme (like Brother and Sister) if they are related.

Fantastic post. Thank you!

Yes, possible. What about Yoda's Theme?

Good. Now start trying to improve yourself.

Thanks

I'll start by studying this...I hope it will show me the right path

Hans Zimmer Awakens

I agree!

BB-8

Although the only Giacchino scores I enjoy are Space Mountain and The Lost World: Jurassic Park video game, I would still rank those higher than anything I've heard from Zimmer.

The miserable plebs is having opinions again!

And+what+if+she+is+_527f4ce288ad8ca83709

Hey, I'm not for the censorship of opinions, but their opinions aren't protected from criticism. I mean, c'mon, some of these comments are just spreading misinformation and stupidity.

The miserable plebs is having opinions again!

And+what+if+she+is+_527f4ce288ad8ca83709

Hey, I'm not for the censorship of opinions, but their opinions aren't protected from criticism. I mean, c'mon, some of these comments are just spreading misinformation and stupidity.

I wasn't exactly castigating you, just riffing on your comment as our own thread is full of all kinds of speculation, some more silly than the rest. :)

I feel like it has to be Williams for 3 reasons:

1) No way they would let some other composer write a new theme like that and put it in a Star Wars trailer 1 month before the movie opens. No way. All of the other trailers have contained either old Williams music or music that did not contain thematic material. The theme has to be Williams.

2) Strings starting at 0:19 are a technique that Williams loves to use (not that someone else couldn't copy this) and is also a technique very hard to get right using samples, so it lends to the idea that all of this is recorded by live players, which is what I would bet (except for the drums, which may have been added in)

3) At 0:42 (most audible at 0:45) there seems to be another short statement of a new theme in the horns. Again, no way another composer would be allowed to be putting new themes into trailers at this point.

So I'm voting for this is definitely Williams and definitely from the score. All IMO of course. And of course, edited and mixed specially for the trailer.

After listening to that mockup, I am no longer of the opinion that it is Rey's theme. In fact, I am no longer confident it is even Williams--I would put it at no better than a 60% chance that it is.

That mock-up doesn't once complete the melody (or what we've heard of it, anyway) correctly, though, and it's written in a style very different from Williams'.

I wouldn't call it a mock-up as much as a variation, albeit a misleading one:

It mis-represents the theme in question, and puts it in a very simplified harmonic and structural context.

Yeah. Whether that tune is Williams or not, he would not have written it in the way it is handled in the mockup. And he certainly wouldn't repeat the phrase ad nauseum like that with no variation.

Also, the melody doesn't end with just a sustained leading tone; what makes the phrase so beautiful, is that final leap up a minor sixth from the 7th to the 5th..

And even within just the two snippets we've heard, there's already a great variation in the version for horns (ending with a very idiomatic melodic descent).

The G minor flute solo in one of the newest trailers is confirmed by (name removed at the request of the source) to be an actual cue from the film's opening. (Source: Facebook)

EDIT: Not from the film's opening! Read the Facebook post on the way home - sorry!

The G minor flute solo in one of the newest trailers is confirmed by (name removed at the request of the source) to be an actual cue from the film's opening. (Source: Facebook)

He says that it's from the score, but the opening he refers to is the TV spot one.

The orchestration was completely Williams, so I was convinced the moment I listened to the snippet.

Is it possible for you to link to the Facebook post?

It seems like a concert arrangement to me. I asked Hal Leonard if they were going to edit a suite from the movie, but of course they didn't reply!

(Quote removed at the request of the source)

It seems like a concert arrangement to me. I asked Hal Leonard if they were going to edit a suite from the movie, but of course they didn't reply!

(Quote removed at the request of the source)

Thanks!

Take it for what is worth, but in that Conrad Pope's FB post, one guy wrote this:

John only wrote the first teaser.....and two options for the second - however, Disney went ahead and had a music house compile something for the second without really consulting him. I'm sure, in his beautifully diplomatic way, he told them to just continue that way and leave him to work on the score. Other than the first teaser, Johns only "involvement" is the use of an actual cue from the film opening one of the TV spots (a beautiful flute solo in G minor).

...Other than the first teaser, Johns only "involvement" is the use of an actual cue from the film opening one of the TV spots (a beautiful flute solo in G minor).

I still refuse to believe that was Williams!