Stefancos

France

The embarassing news coverage here in Southern California is giving all attention to the structure with anchors also drawing attention to the fact that they've been there and how they're especially "affected" by this as a result. This dumb broad just described the church as "monstrous." No one seems to be concerned about any casualties...

Just now, Ghostbusters II said:

No one seems to be concerned about any casualties...

I was flicking between Fox and CNN and it took ages until they mentioned that no deaths reported.

Scaffolding could soon fall on top of the whole thing, meanwhile flames are climbing up inside the bell towers.

Képernyőfelvétel (12).png

Things I could've done without seeing, hearing of or knowing about in my lifetime.

Like Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire.

If this is an accident, as currently being reported, I hope whoever's fault this is finds the next tree and hangs himself.

All other thoughts I might have right now I cannot post here, but I'm sad and mad beyond belief tonight. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK THIS SHIT!    

When I went back home, I listened to these two beautiful songs from the musical Notre Dame de Paris, by Luc Plamondon and Richard Cocciante.

Horrified by this...I still remember how surreal it was to stand in those massive halls...

It looks like the bell towers will survive the fire...but tragic loss indeed :(

Glad they were able to save somethings.  Still, things won't be quite the same, especially if the windows have been lost.  

Those who have been there will cherish their memories ever more so now.

I heard an interview that the French ambassador to the U.S. gave where he marveled how he found himself in tears watching the cathedral burn, feeling as if part of himself was burning with it.  And he said he had driven by, glancing at the place many, many times with merely a passing thought.

The things we take for granted.

Wow. 

That was some scary moments.

Glad to hear the fire was put out. Whoever was at fault should definitely be fired.

47 minutes ago, King Mark said:

how many years will it take to repair it?

5 hours ago, John said:

Why hasn’t this douche been banned yet?

Name-calling. That's... That's the real inappropriate language. But it's okay because you... You are loved. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Peanuts next to the sites daesh bulldozed and blew to smithereens in Palmyra Syria, though.

No one gives a damn about Syria though.

It's just a thing, regardless of its history. All things end. Things can be rebuilt. They can even be rebuilt to be safer as this place apparently wasn't in this age of fire detectors, sprinklers and hoses. At least no one was hurt.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm dubious of this pseudo affinity which people suddenly have going on with Notre Dame, too.

Yeah. There's a beautiful Shi'ite mosque in Iraq that's getting blown up every now and then. Don't hear the same outcry as I do here, even if its just as (if not that much more) impressive and historically significant.

5 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

It's just a thing, regardless of its history. Things can be rebuilt. 

The Mona Lisa is just a thing, regardless of its history. It can be repainted.

It's never going to be the same though.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah. There's a beautiful Shi'ite mosque in Iraq that's getting blown up every now and then. Don't hear the same outcry as I do here, even if its just as (if not that much more) impressive and historically significant.

While sad, it's emotionally and culturally not exactly the same. The Notre Dame is like home base to some of the Europeans here. It's about our history. France is our neighbour. You live closer to the mosques and Iraq. That is more your history.

If you think the destruction of a mosque hits the Israeli public more than the fire at Notre Dame, you'd be be wrong. Israelies are surprisingly very Europhilic.

The Notre Dame is also probably among the very peak of most famous churches or even buildings in Western civilisation. Thanks Victor for inspiring its preservation!

47 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If you think the destruction of a mosque hits the Israeli public more than the fire at Notre Dame, you'd be be wrong. Israelies are surprisingly very Europhilic.

In that case, here is the proof that we care about other things as well, despite Quintus (who else?) saying we don't.

I admit, I started the thread, but others responded to share their worries.