JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

The key term to describe the prevailing practices of discarding old albums would be ephemeral.

Isn't this schtick getting as old and tiring as the C&C fan praising these new releases?

Or threads cluttered with 40% order trivia and shipping updates.

Quite. That's what obsessed people do when sharing their experience from the time they order the package to the day they get it.

I'll share my further thoughts on this music on a bit later date after I have thought up a 10 000 word essay on it i.e. thinking 100 ways of saying I like it.

Yay Jaws is here! Listening to the first disc now! It sounds brilliant! :woop:

I wouldn't go quite as far, but since i was mainly interested in the MCA record i say that i can let this score rest now, it finally doesn't sound like it was recorded in an empty yellow barrel.

Actually, it would have sound very 'enclosed' if it was recorded in such a small space. Anyway, are you saying the long hall reverb from the re-recording is gone?!

I know Vangelis puts very long reverbs on all his remasters. A strange practice, if you ask me.

Alex

The key term to describe the prevailing practices of discarding old albums would be ephemeral.

Isn't this schtick getting as old and tiring as the C&C fan praising these new releases?

But why are album presentations so taboo around here? Anyone who dares suggest they prefer the OST needs to brace themselves for a stampede of passionate dramatic, emotionally charged opposition.

But why are album presentations so taboo around here? Anyone who dares suggest they prefer the OST needs to brace themselves for a stampede of passionate dramatic, emotionally charged opposition.

I call it "The Thor shock". It evokes an immediate reaction coming from the spine because it seems to many as haughty dismissal of the full score and the wonderful music that might be left of the album.

I have no trouble with people preferring the OST albums, as the worn saying goes "to each their own", but I also find the people dismissing C&C lovers as bottle cap collectors in snide manner equally offensive. They love the same music from a different slant after all.

Regarding the OST on the Intrada set I found it to be quite dry and I don't think it had too much reverb to it. It has been a while since I listened to the original MCA version so my memory is a bit hazy on its quality but I thought the new remastering sounded quite decent.

I saw...his thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from score to score. After they've destroyed every original album, they move on.

Oh not the movie quotes again! Please tell us what you think of the score at least if you don't want the new set!

As far as the remastered OST goes, the excessive and unnatural-sounding reverb tails are still there, sadly. Still a step up from the original release, though, as I recall.

I assume you mean the re-recording?

I can't think of any other composer whose scores are just plagued by horrible recording and mixing. It's like at some point, especially beginning circa the late 80s, Williams decided he wanted his scores to sound like shit.

Cocaine is no god damn good for anybody!

The future is GRASS!

As far as the remastered OST goes, the excessive and unnatural-sounding reverb tails are still there, sadly. Still a step up from the original release, though, as I recall.

Then why is it a step up? And how come Pubs thinks the reverb is gone?

I assume you mean the re-recording?

No, I mean the OST recording as originally released. It's got this weird reverb sound - not sure how the recording ended up sounding that way, but whatever source Mike was working from for this new release clearly still had it. The sound is a little fuller, somehow, but it still sounds a little artificial at times. As things stand, I prefer the sound of the score recording on disc 1 (or the sound of Jaws 2, for that matter).

Now I'm confused.

You said "no" you're not talking about the re-recording, but it sounds like you're talking about the original LP program, on Disc 2?

That's a re-recording, done after the scoring sessions for the actual film tracks.

So are you saying Disc 1 or Disc 2 is reverb-y?

He means 'OST recording as originally released' which is the MCA album. It doesn't sound like pinched reverb anymore - and to ask for a completely different sound means to have unrealistic expectations. Like A.I. you can tell it's the same recording but the problems are reduced to an acceptable minimum.

It's likely the original tapes from the recording sessions of the LP re-recording burned up in the Universal fire. The CD master from 1992 is all that exists today. Sad such a monumental recording's master elements were not transferred before the fire!

Now I'm confused.

You said "no" you're not talking about the re-recording, but it sounds like you're talking about the original LP program, on Disc 2?

That's a re-recording, done after the scoring sessions for the actual film tracks.

So are you saying Disc 1 or Disc 2 is reverb-y?

Publicist is correct. I think my wording was confusing because I (mis)interpreted "re-recording" to mean something other than the OST recording. I tend to think of that recording as being the original recording of a whole different musical work, not a re-recording, if that makes any sense whatsoever. :P

So yes, it's disc 2 of the new set that has the funky reverb, although it sounds a hair more natural than it did when that recording was originally released.

Sadly I don't have Jaws on vinyl to check whether the recording has a long reverb or not. I do have Jaws 2 but that vinyl doesn't need checking because there's nothing fishy about the CD.