JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

To my ears it sounds completely different.  Like not even close.  The snare drums as Brody walks through town is completely different as is the kids playing when Deputy Hendricks is telling the Mayor "We've got a shark attack!" as the band marches by.

I haven't checked the film's audio for reference, but this quote from the Q&A with Mike Matessino might provide some answers:

Was there any other source music found that is not included on the new release?

There were two pieces of source music that John Williams wrote which he did not want included. There were various other things as well that were recorded but not considered for the release: instrumental backing for “I Honestly Love You” and “Having My Baby,” plus mono bits of Beethoven, Mozart and Hoffstetter, all used for the first town beach scene. There was also the kids’ band in the street rehearsing “Semper Fidelis,” lifeguard whistles, and things like that. But it was great to find two Williams-composed marches that we were able to include.

Thank you for that.  It's the Semper Fidelis to which I am referring.  The snare is such an integral part of the scene, almost giving Brody's quickened pace to the ferry a determined quasi-military purpose... it's only when the kids appear that it is emphasized to be source music rather than underscore.  As far as I can tell, the two marching band cues on the Intrada CD do NOT appear in the film.  I wouldn't mind someone proving me wrong with a time code.  I'm guessing they were intended for, but not used in the scene.

23 hours ago, Hedji said:

As far as I can tell, the two marching band cues on the Intrada CD do NOT appear in the film.  I wouldn't mind someone proving me wrong with a time code.  I'm guessing they were intended for, but not used in the scene.

You are correct, they are not in the film.

I am not even mildly miffed that we didn't get all the source cues for Jaws. Although I am a great fan of the film I can't say I ever registered those source pieces as dramatically relevant.

I'm glad we have all three versions in great presentations. And three excellent sequel expansions too! Good times for Jaws fans. :)

Karol

The only thing that makes me sad is the sound quality of the original recording of the first film's score. Mike Matessino and the gang put in an enormous amount of work, I know, and it shows - it's a big improvement over the old Decca release. But there are spots that still sound a little funky, especially when the strings enter quietly. Sounds like there are hiss reduction artifacts. Again, I know the fault lies almost exclusively with the condition of the tapes. It's just a pity.

Yea its too bad Universal didn't take better care of the original tapes of these landmark recordings (both the film tracks and LP rerecording tracks).  No one to blame but them.

• 1 year later...

Can't be bothered to properly start searching or to start a new thread, so bumping this.

I was a bit disappointed with the amount of actual score info in the booklet, it instead has a lot of info I already know from the DVD documentary. The restoration info is very interesting except for the IMO inappropriate style (too much thank you for this opportunity and "then I thought" - in contrast, E.T. and CE3K could have used more elaboration on the topic, like we got in the interviews).

Do we have an "official" catalogue/theme names for Jaws?

Here's what I can think up off the top of my head (I've only been listening to it for a year, I don't know every cue inside out yet):

The Shark Approaches - the famous two-note ostinato

Sharks - three note ascending motif with appendages

Heroic Orca (Orca A) - found notably in the first half of Out to Sea, Man Against Beast and End Titles

Playful Orca (Orca B) - second half of Out to Sea, Man Against Beast, a variant starts Shark Cage Fugue

Barrels - playful motif in MAB and Great Chase

Getting Ready - tense, determined theme starting out in the strings in Man Against Beast, also in Shark Cage Fugue, it's the main buildup in Blown to Bits

The Sea - lesser motif (more of an atmosphere, really) at the end of Into the Estuary and in the middle of Barrel off Starboard

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I was a bit disappointed with the amount of actual score info in the booklet, it instead has a lot of info I already know from the DVD documentary.

This has been a complaint of mine with specialty label booklets for years now.

I want score analysis and history, not half a booklet of "making of" about the movie.

Confessedly have never heard the original album before. The first time I heard the score on its own was the Decca album, and then the complete score with this release.

I've recently become curious as to what the original OST was like.

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Confessedly have never heard the original album before. The first time I heard the score on its own was the Decca album, and then the complete score with this release.

I've recently become curious as to what the original OST was like.

It was, and is, a very good album.

It's a fantastically-done distilling of the major ideas of the score down to a 35 minute longform suite.  And some of the musician performances are better than when they recorded the film cues.

Also heard it the first time today, love it as an alternate presentation (meaning not as a replacement for the original recordings like it was for 25 years).

Are we a more easily distracted community than Reddit? :P 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah. It's different players, isn't it?

The booklet says 58 of the 64 OST players also played the film cues.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It's a fantastically-done distilling of the major ideas of the score down to a 35 minute longform suite.  And some of the musician performances are better than when they recorded the film cues.

Yeah. It's different players, isn't it?

Would any of you say you prefer it to the complete score?

Seems to be much more of a contrast between that and Jaws 2's OST/complete score (and in this case, I had that album before the Intrada release came).

21 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Would any of you say you prefer it to the complete score?

I prefer the full score for some great pieces that are central to the score but missing from the album. I prefer the album for having more musically satisfying versions of many film cues, which feel abridged by comparison.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I prefer the album for having more musically satisfying versions of many film cues, which feel abridged by comparison.

That’s how I feel about Jaws 2. The album is so musically satisfying, the complete score feels very “cue-y”. 

2 minutes ago, MikeH said:

That’s how I feel about Jaws 2. The album is so musically satisfying, the complete score feels very “cue-y”. 

The thing about Jaws is that some cues (Promenade is a good example) have such a clear musical structure that they very much sound like they were conceived this way and the score cues, which are shorter but nearly identical in what's there, were abridged to fit the film. Perhaps Williams already had the album versions in his head when he was scoring the film.

Sometimes (often!) the album is better, sometimes it's not, like in the case of The Missouri Breaks. That's very clear!

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sometimes (often!) the album is better, sometimes it's not, like in the case of The Missouri Breaks. That's very clear!

Why? (Never listened to the OST)

In this particular case, I find the film score cues are fantastic, and work as a great listening experience.

The album presentation for me is the icing on the cake, a sure classic presentation in it's own right, and something occasionally worth revisiting.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Why? (Never listened to the OST)

Always listen to the OST first... except for The Missouri Breaks.

The Missouri Breaks OST goes in a direction... that is very different than the score, whish is really cool.

That was my point.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:10 PM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Missouri Breaks OST = Zzzzzz...

This is what I said, but with words... instead of operators.

22 hours ago, Holko said:

The Shark Approaches - the famous two-note ostinato

Sharks - three note ascending motif with appendages

Heroic Orca (Orca A) - found notably in the first half of Out to Sea, Man Against Beast and End Titles

Playful Orca (Orca B) - second half of Out to Sea, Man Against Beast, a variant starts Shark Cage Fugue

Barrels - playful motif in MAB and Great Chase

Getting Ready - tense, determined theme starting out in the strings in Man Against Beast, also in Shark Cage Fugue, it's the main buildup in Blown to Bits

The Sea - lesser motif (more of an atmosphere, really) at the end of Into the Estuary and in the middle of Barrel off Starboard

So, to get back to why I originally bumped this, anyone know more themes/motifs or better/already used names for these?

9 hours ago, Holko said:

So, to get back to why I originally bumped this, anyone know more themes/motifs or better/already used names for these?

There is of course the Montage theme, which is like a baroque fugato.

And the out to sea chanty:

• 6 months later...

@GlastoEls

Well there are several recordings of this score. If you want the actual film tracks, this is the release to get. It has the best sound for these tracks by far and it's more complete than any other edition. If you're content with a different recording, you can also go with the original album Williams made back in the seventies (included on Disc 2 of this set) or with the recording Joel McNeely made with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

22 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

@GlastoEls

Well there are several recordings of this score. If you want the actual film tracks, this is the release to get. It has the best sound for these tracks by far and it's more complete than any other edition. If you're content with a different recording, you can also go with the original album Williams made back in the seventies (included on Disc 2 of this set) or with the recording Joel McNeely made with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

Thank you very much!

42 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’m wondering if the consensus is that this version is the best Jaws CD?

The original soundtrack is hands down the best listening experience by far regardless of sound quality. 

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’m wondering if the consensus is that this version is the best Jaws CD?

Of course it is.  It includes the original OST album from 1975, and the only other edition that ever came out was a disc of the film recordings by Decca in 2000, and this edition (disc 1) sounds incredibly, incredibly better than that.  So you get a great sounding version of the music recorded for the film, and the original 1975 soundtrack re-recording as well, all in one case.  It's a no brainer.

McNeely's re-recording is an interesting listen because he left in some instrument lines that Williams taceted out at the original recording sessions, but it's not an essential purchase.