JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

JAWS

Composed and Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS

INTRADA INT 7145

The theme from Jaws is one of the most iconic in all of film music. It not only communicates the mortal threat of a living killing machine, it performs double duty and fills in for the screen absence of the shark itself. The theme is the shark. It is the menace. And it is forever engrained in our minds. Now, forty years after the 1975 release of the film, Intrada presents a special, 2-disc presentation of the iconic, Oscar-winning score. One disc features a reissue of the original MCA recording released in '75 -- a rerecorded, reworking of the score for commercial audiences that won Williams his first Grammy. The other disc features the original film tracks, sourced from the unmixed 1/2" elements, completely restored using state-of-the-art technology. These master tapes featured a nontraditional mix, allowing for the low strings -- the force behind the shark -- to be a dominant presence amongst the orchestra. While these tracks were previously released in 2000 featuring a stereo mix derived from the 5.1 DVD spread, its mixdown and added reverb took much of the punch out of the score. Going back to the original recording, engineer Mike Matessino was able to create a thrilling new experience and achieve a stunning sound, the likes of which have not been heard from this score before.

Most of the original score was presented on the 2000 Decca release, but in addition to the remastered quality the music is now presented in narrative sequence, with a few previously truncated phrases and one short unused cue added to the program. The original elements also yielded a healthy collection of Extras that include an alternate version of the Main Title. Rounding out the disc with the 1975 album is a selection of source cues from the film, also previously unreleased. John Williams reviewed and approved this entire presentation.

This landmark release is the ultimate presentation of the music from Jaws and concludes Intrada's journey to restoring the music from all the four Jaws films.

INTRADA INT 7145

Retail Price: $29.99

SHIPPING NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9909/.f

post-50-0-75092000-1447726507.jpg

post-50-0-15447200-1447726511.jpg

post-50-0-69006100-1447726517.jpg

John Williams - Academy Award Winner Best Score

Label: Intrada 7145

Date: 1975

Time: 115:49

Tracks: 54

One of cinema's most famous soundtracks finally gets the deluxe 2-CD treatment it deserves! John Williams won a well-deserved Academy Award for his 1975 scoring masterpiece Jaws, directed by Steven Spielberg, featuring Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw... and the most terrifying shark in movie history. Peter Benchley's No. 1 best-selling book became a sensational hit under Spielberg, who himself claimed the John Williams music was responsible for at least half of the picture's success. And what music! Basses, cellos and arguably the two most famous "theme" notes in history. Williams offers a score that is equal parts powerfully ferocious terror, rousing nautical adventure.

Almost the entire soundtrack as it appears in the film was presented for the first time in its actual soundtrack form for the movie's 25th anniversary in 2000 for the Decca label. The three-channel scoring masters were then newly-mixed into 5.1 sound for the film, with numerous sonic compromises made to create two-track stereo album masters, including significant reduction of the stereo imaging as well as liberal added reverb and noise reduction. For this new 2-CD release on Intrada, we have returned to the original session tapes, courtesy Universal Pictures, and created brand new mixes with state-of-the-art technology, affording genuine stereo imaging with clarity of detail and dynamic range never-before available - all under the supervision of John Williams.

Included are all of the actual soundtrack sequences plus several brief but previously unreleased cues and several alternate selections, all being heard for the first time ever! Enjoy an alternate version of the "Main Title" made early in the scoring sessions but never used, two versions of the previously unreleased "Shark Tows Orca", two versions of the lengthy and incredible "Man Against Beast" cue, an extended version of "The Empty Raft", an alternate version of "Quint Meets His End", and more!

CD 2 features a remastered presentation of the famed 1975 re-recorded 35-minute MCA album. Finally, six selections from the Amity Town Band parade and beach sequences, arranged by Stu Phillips and Hal Mooney and recorded by Williams early in the sessions, bring this important set to a close. Mike Matessino restores and masters the audio, Scott Bettencourt authors the informative liner notes, Joe Sikoryak provides the colorful "flipper" cover artwork and booklet design. A soundtrack library essential! John Williams conducts. Intrada INT series 2-CD set.

CD1

01. Jaws Main Title (0:59)

02. The First Victim (1:45)

03. Remains On The Beach (0:59)

04. The Empty Raft (Extended Version) (1:45)

05. The Pier Incident (2:30)

06. Father And Son (Film Version) (1:59)

07. The Alimentary Canal (1:58)

08. Ben Gardners Boat (3:33)

09. Montage (1:35)

10. Into The Estuary (2:53)

11. Out To Sea (Film Version) (1:01)

12. Tug On The Line (2:39)

13. Man Against Beast (Film Version) (5:34)

14. Quints Tale (2:48)

15. Brody Panics (1:16)

16. Barrel Off Starboard (1:41)

17. Great Chase (3:02)

18. Shark Tows Orca (0:41)

19. Three Barrels Under (2:17)

20. From Bad To Worse (1:07)

21. Quint Thinks It Over (1:14)

22. The Shark Cage Fugue (2:02)

23. The Shark Approaches (Film Version) (0:53)

24. The Shark Hits The Cage (2:03)

25. Quint Meets His End (1:27)

26. Blown To Bits (3:17)

27. Jaws End Title (1:57)

Total Score Time: 54:55

The Extras

28. Jaws Main Title (Alternate) (1:12)

29. The Typewriter (0:21)

30. Man Against Beast (Alternate) (5:38)

31. Barrel Off Starboard (Alternate Segment) (0:54)

32. Great Chase (Alternate) (3:03)

33. Shark Tows Orca (Alternate) (0:42)

34. The Shark Approaches (Alternate) (0:55)

35. Quint Meets His End (Alternate) (1:32)

36. Wild Shark Theme (1:10)

Total Extras Time: 15:15

Total CD1 Time: 70:20

CD2 Original 1975 MCA Soundtrack Album

01. Main Title (Theme From Jaws) (2:24)

02. Chrissies Death (1:42)

03. Promenade (Tourists On The Menu) (2:48)

04. Out To Sea (2:30)

05. The Indianapolis Story (2:27)

06. Sea Attack Number One (5:25)

07. One Barrel Chase (3:10)

08. Preparing The Cage (3:26)

09. Night Search (3:34)

10. The Underwater Siege (2:34)

11. Hand To Hand Combat (2:34)

12. End Title (Theme From Jaws) (2:21)

Total Album Time: 34:52

The Extras Music From Amity Town Beach

13. Joplin Rag (Original Rag) (Scott Joplin) (2:07)

14. Winter Stories Waltz (Alphons Czibulka) (1:46)

15. In The Good Old Summertime (George Evans & Ren Shields) (1:29)

16. Thousand And One Nights Waltz (Johann Strauss Jr.) (1:49)

17. Marching Band No. 1 (1:09)

18. Marching Band No. 2 (2:05)

Total Source Music Time: 14:30

Total CD2 Time: 45:29

SAMPLES & Direct Order link:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9909/.f?sc=13&category=-113

ADDITIONAL Order links:

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/30481/JAWS-2CD/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M10168/jaws-expanded/

http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/2516-jaws.html

I don't understand why some tracks say "film version" while they don't have an alternate.

Since they say that, it means there is an alternate?

tracks 6 and 11.

edit: oh, maybe they want to differentiate track 11 out of Sea, from the album version.

But "father and son"?

edit 2: Now i realised that track Father and Son, is a revised version of an original cue that we don't know of. Maybe it wasn't recorded.

some are just the tracks that were mergedwith other tracks on the decca

well, as you see from the spreadsheet, there is an original version of Father and Son that isn't in the cd (the film version is a revised version: 4m1R). So, I assume it wasn't recorded.

I don't understand why some tracks say "film version" while they don't have an alternate.

Since they say that, it means there is an alternate?

tracks 6 and 11.

I think they put that when they are premiering the correct film take (IE, when the Decca used the wrong take).

there is an original version of Father and Son that isn't in the cd (the film version is a revised version: 4m1R). So, I assume it wasn't recorded.

The original version was never recorded, no. There's only one version.

there is an original version of Father and Son that isn't in the cd (the film version is a revised version: 4m1R). So, I assume it wasn't recorded.

The original version was never recorded, no. There's only one version.

That cue is one of my favourites from the score.

i wonder if the original one was substantially different. We'll never know. :(

Total source time is actually 10:30, if the timings on cues are correct.

Yup. Typo on the back cover.

When you said in the title "LP included", i was confused for a second and i thought that we'll get an LP as a bonus with the cd! :P

Thread title changed!

Sorry if I'm being dense, but does that mean that 28 11m5/12m0 Alternate Intro isn't on the Intrada? That'd be kind of a bummer... it's still an important alternate.

Of course it is, silly head!

The revised intro is merged into the cue in the main program, and the original cue (IE: the same thing, but without the opening replaced by the revised intro) is in the bonus track section.

Congratulations To Doug, Mike Mattessino, Roger and the Intrada team!

What a superb restoration effort! JAWS is one of the most iconic scores and it truly must have been a great honor and labour of love for the Intrada team to make this available as a definitive polished gem. Kudos! Listening to the sound samples and hearing the extraordinary clarity gave me goosebumps!
May this set remain in print for generations to come.
Thank You all!!!

The sample I downloaded plays as it does in the film. So that is the revised intro then?

So we can expect Track 32 to contain the Alternate Intro?

Sorry, I'm just not following.

Wow!

OK, to explain again:

1. First the entire cue [11m5/12m0 The Great Chase] was recorded in its original intended form. You can hear this version in track 32 of the new set, or 0:31-end of track 15 of the Decca.

2. Then, at some later time (probably because Spielberg wanted the cue to start in a more exciting way), a revised intro [11m5/12m0 Alternate Intro] was recorded. This revised intro used used in the film, and also integrated into the cue for the original LP re-recording as well as McNeely's recording. The film recording appears from 0:00-0:31 of track 17 of the Intrada, or 0:00-0:31 of track 15 of the Decca.

Please tell me you understand now :)

Well naturally I ordered this. Way to go Intrada! :)

With Matessino in charge I am fully confident this is going to be a brilliant set.

Heh I see the famous "Typewriter chord" is here, titled The Typewriter. Finally we can breath easy as everything from the score is here. :P

Though i'm only fleetingly interested in another JAWS (there are parts i just cannot listen to anymore after watching the movie a 100 times) i must say the sound is really something. It's almost like a dusty old curtain has been lifted (the opening of 'Man against Beast' sounds like they fucked around with the deep end, though).

I only now realize how bad the Decca actually sounds - i just assumed the masters were that rotten. Will get this at my year's end shopping spree.

0FF805BD-C55F-4BEF-AD04-FB9AD9815CFD_zps

Lots of "film versions" by the looks of this tracklist. Looks like there still might be music missing. Why didn't they include the film version of Father and Son for instance?

And it doesn't include the Quadrophonic release either.

Lots of "film versions" by the looks of this tracklist. Looks like there still might be music missing. Why didn't they include the film version of Father and Son for instance?

And it doesn't include the Quadrophonic release either.

CD1

01. Jaws Main Title (0:59)

02. The First Victim (1:45)

03. Remains On The Beach (0:59)

04. The Empty Raft (Extended Version) (1:45)

05. The Pier Incident (2:30)

06. Father And Son (Film Version) (1:59)

EPIC FAIL on Intrada's part obviously.

Combine a 2013 speculation thread with this thread about Intrada's actual announcement of the release? Are you mad?!

I don't understand what you're saying here.... the set is 100% complete. There isn't a note of music in the film that isn't on the set.

For some reason, I had it in my head the the original was the revision, or an unused alternate.

Well, it took 25 years for us to know an original opening even existed! That's because the film, the OST LP/CD, and the McNeely re-recording ALL used the revised opening. Suddenly the Decca presented the original opening, though we didn't really realize it right away because they put the new opening and then the entire original cue instead of properly editing it. Some people thought it was an insert, or a previously unheard section of the cue for deleted footage. It wasn't until the sheet music leaked that it was crystal clear what they did on the Decca. Obviously, the Intrada set fixes this and properly presents the cue twice, once with the old opening and once with the new opening!

Now time to analyse the other goodies besides the main programs: the Alternates. WOW!

Im curious about 'Man Against Beast' I wonder if this version will closely resemble the version which Joel McNeely recorded with RSNO on the Varese re-recording. There was a percussive ostinato at 2:33 which i really enjoyed on that recording.

The unused 'Quint Meets his End' also get correct listing in the program (as does some of the other tracks- but I suspect Williams may himself have requested the order from his POV) The Decca release had programmed the track up in the beginning cues of the cd confusing many fans of its real intended use. Also the 'Alternate version' could be the one conforming to the RSNO Varese re-recording.

I guess more details will emerge either from JWFAN.net and the liner notes.

Look forward to discover this once again.

All the best compact disc digital audio discs are made in Japan.

Hmm, a connoisseur.

When everyone talks about how much clearer a certain CD sounds, that's the moment I get suspicious.

Alex

I don't understand what you're saying here.... the set is 100% complete. There isn't a note of music in the film that isn't on the set.

How do you know?

I can't find it discussed on the board anywhere, but I have an old MP3 on my hard-drive that was ripped from the "Making of Jaws" documentary -- just a few seconds of music, but not heard in the film and not present on any previous release. The clips on the Intrada webpage reveal that this is from "Shark Tows Orca." Apologies if this was already known, but, at least for me, it's nice to have an old mystery solved!

All the best compact disc digital audio discs are made in Japan.

Hmm, a connoisseur.

When everyone talks about how much clearer a certain CD sounds, that's the moment I get suspicious.

Alex

You mean "brighter"?

As soon as I heard the remastered scores on the new Nightmare on Elm Street set, I almost wept in sorrow. There was nothing wrong with how the first two scores sounded on the old CD.

And everyone on FSM was praising it for how much "clearer" it sounded! I mean come on!

I assume that's what people mean with "clarity". Although, as you know, bass too can have more clarity. Indeed, there's nothing wrong with the original CDs, I always thought Jaws 2 sounded pretty good. There's no need to put it through a computer to enhance bass or high frequencies for they only will stick out. If remastering means they have found the original master then that's a whole other story.

Alex