Gordy Haab

Quintus

Gordy Habb on SW franchise caretaking duties and the stylistic differences between John's OT and PT trilogies: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-the-sound-of-star-wars-battlefront-20151117-story.html

Is Habb capable of writing original thematic material himself? Anyone got any samples? I've heard his Star Wars pastiche and tbh we ought to be talking about this guy more than Giacchino, as far as suitable candidates are concerned.

I agree, neither are. I wouldn't mind hearing what Howard Shore might accomplish with a Star Wars score.

Now that you mention it, that could be pretty interesting.

My two choices would be either John Powell or James Newton Howard.

I'd rather not talk about anyone based on their ability to mimic.

This is why I asked if anyone has any knowledge or experience of any original work Haab has written, because I'd like to know if he's possibly the real deal.

Don't play down his ability to riff on Williams with the assured grasp he has demonstrated, though. There's been many composers over the years who have tried but failed to capture the Star Wars sound anywhere near as authentically as Haab has aptly achieved with his Battlefront contributions. Even Joel McNeely didn't get as close as Haab has. No mean feat.

Give the guy a big movie, let him show off his chops. Then we'll know for sure.

Haab did one of the best jobs imitating Williams mannerisms I have heard, but, going off the selections from Battlefront I have listened to, his work is totally flat and emotionally vacant. While it was fascinating to listen to the extent to which he nailed Wiliams' traits, it didn't have any of the spirit of Williams' work, and I am sure there are better composers who could do more interesting takes on Star Wars in a post-Williams world.

EDIT: And I would add, feel free to post examples that you think refute my position, because I would very much like to hear more of his work.

It would help. :)

Additionally, I was very clear about how relatively small a sample I have heard because I would like to hear more samples, provided you are willing to find some you think demonstrate your points.

I enjoyed what I heard in Battlefront. Like Quint I am curious to hear more of his work - especially if its original work not tied to an existing franchise!

Battlefront the game does not feature a Han Solo and Leia love scene, or a Luke using the force for good moment, or Artoo being the comedic sidekick, or a dramatic duel between Vader and his son.

Actually I might be wrong about that last one, but you get the picture.

Plus Haab probably didn't have the benefit of months and even years to create narrative arcs and expansive leitmotif developments. I thought this would have been commonsense to most people, but obviously not.

Plus Haab probably didn't have the benefit of months and even years to create narrative arcs and expansive leitmotif developments. I thought this would have been commonsense to most people, buy obviously not.

Thanks for that bit about commonsense.

I'm not really satisfied with that explanation. I mean, even accounting for the elements that he would not have had the opportunity to do, the action music I have heard was highly anonymous and lacking in the unique personality the Star Wars films have. Even without thematic development or variety, there just isn't a lot to grab onto.

I see on IMDb he has worked on at least 3 Old Republic games over at least 4 years. I have not heard any of those. Would those not give him the opportunity to develop ideas between games? If anyone is familiar to those and can point to some examples, I would very much like to hear.

Plus Haab probably didn't have the benefit of months and even years to create narrative arcs and expansive leitmotif developments. I thought this would have been commonsense to most people, buy obviously not.

Thanks for that bit about commonsense.

I'm not really satisfied with that explanation. I mean, even accounting for the elements that he would not have had the opportunity to do, the action music I have heard was highly anonymous and lacking in the unique personality the Star Wars films have.

You're welcome. I disagree in as much as I found the music quite remarkable in how closely the orchestrations and the timbre of the acoustic uncannily resembled the Star Wars sound I recognise. That in itself was what impressed me most. Hence my questions about Haab the composer.

I do agree it is impressively stylistically similar and that it is a question worth asking. I was just noting my reservations.

That said, I again pose the question of if anyone is familiar with his Old Republic scores, because I think those might give a better indication than my small sampling of how he works in a series.

As much as Haab can mimic Williams, he's missing the heart of the music, the soul. At least Giacchino can produce more endearing themes.

What parts of Haab's music exactly are you thinking about when making this comparison?

I do agree it is impressively stylistically similar and that it is a question worth asking. I was just noting my reservations.

That said, I again pose the question of if anyone is familiar with his Old Republic scores, because I think those might give a better indication than my small sampling of how he works in a series.

AFAIK he hasn't scores Knights of the Old Republic but he has worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic from a few years ago, which is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) but he was not the sole composer on that (along with Mark Griskey, Lennie Moore, and others). There was a bit of reworking of classic SW themes, and some original compositions, combined with Williams style action music. It's a well-rounded effort that clearly takes its inspiration from the prequels. I believe an album was produced (I'm not sure if it's available commercially). The problem with that album is that it doesn't include some of the best music written for the game. You have to find the gamerip which is all the music ripped from the audio files. I send you a PM btw.

• 3 weeks later...

There's no doubt Haab has done his homework, and probably has had the luxury of pouring over the full scores in person. As someone also who's studied Williams music I respect the hours of work he's put into it in appropriating that soundworld (even more so after that radio interview)--up to a point. I don't know anything of Haab's music outside SW video game and fan music, but I get the impression Williams's body of work is a millstone around his neck, compositionally speaking. It's like hearing a robot go through the motions of what a SW score is supposed to sound like, knowing how but not why. So it feels hollow and without heart.

For someone who appreciates Williams's mastery of creating momentum, it's pretty limp, flitting about in fits and starts. No central pulse--again, robotic. And then there's Williams's clarity in orchestration that is completely absent, either through mixing or by poor design. Contrapuntal lines that should be distinct become one muddy blur.

If this guy could just trust his own voice he'd be on the right track. To paraphrase Yoda, he must unlearn what he has learned.

As announced today by the composer himself via Facebook:

Today at noon! Join in and ask me anything. (Be nice, folks)

Please note, however:

Noon LA time, peeps. Adjust accordingly

(Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153849609316719&set=a.26644886718.49958.502511718&type=3&permPage=1)

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/starwars

?fbid=10153849609316719

• 2 months later...

Here is something, I hope, interesting for you guys. Gordy Haab talks about various things, including how he did get started in the industry, his composition process (Yee! Pencil and Paper + orchestration!), SW:Battlefront soundtrack, LSO and mostly about Force Awakens soundtrack. Although at times I wished host would shut up, or was absent at all in fact, I think you will enjoy it:

http://www.starwarsreport.com/2016/01/04/podcast-the-force-awakens-score-with-composer-gordy-haab-swr-203/

Better late than never!

• 7 months later...

http://wshu.org/post/music-respawn-gordy-haab-composes-b-side-tracks-star-wars-battlefront

http://cpa.ds.npr.org/wshu/audio/2016/10/GordyHaabMix.mp3

I recommend to listen from 10:50 to 12:00 for something particularly interesting!

Since we now know that Williams is aware of Haab's existence do you guys predict John was impressed with his music and will possibly recommend him for Star Wars movie in the future? Or was he utterly appalled by the cheap rip-off Gordy has composed and approved his music only because he is a polite and gracious man and didn't want to destroy poor bloke's career?

Post your thoughts!

• 7 months later...

Does anybody play "Galaxy Of Heroes"? The recent update replaces some of the music used from the official Star Wars OSTs with music from Battlefront.

• 6 years later...

Anybody here listened to the latest Gordy Haab OST album?

1600x1600bb.webp

1. Sacrifice (2:19)
2. Becoming a Hero (3:58)
3. End of the World (2:41)
4. West Qi – Homeland (3:21)
5. Daji, The Fox Demon (2:59)
6. Daji Seduces Zhou (2:33)
7. Heaven’s Theme – Revealing the Feng Shen Bang (3:00)
8. Shen Gong Bao’s Dark Magic (1:18)
9. Ji Fa’s Sacrifice – Enthronement of King Zhou (2:06)
10. Visiting West Qi – Consulting Ji Chang (3:15)
11. Heaven’s Punishment – King Zhou’s Sacrificial Pledge (4:19)
12. Nezha Saves the Mortals (1:54)
13. Shen Gong Bao Visits the Palace – Zhou Tests Feng Shen Bang (4:43)
14. The Gods Escape With the Feng Shen Bang (2:30)
15. Lullaby For Lei Zhenzi (4:15)
16. Patricide a Loyalty Pledge to the King (5:03)
17. Father and Son – The Imprisonment of Ji Chang (3:00)
18. Chasing the Fox Demon (1:46)
19. The Ultimate Sacrifice (1:51)
20. I Would Die for My Father (4:54)
21. Ji Fa Receives the Gift Horse (2:21)
22. Ji Chang Dragged to the Gallows (3:21)
23. Ji Fa a Hero’s Rite of Passage (9:42)
24. Showdown With Shen Gong Bao (4:06)
25. Return to West Qi (5:08)
26. Triumphal Music (1:07)
27. War Dance (1:22)
28. Enthronement (1:40)
29. Banquet Music at Lu Tai (1:08)
30. Execution Drum Music (1:48)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/電影-封神第一部-原聲帶/1698472253

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_the_Gods_I:_Kingdom_of_Storms

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody here listened to the latest Gordy Haab OST album?

1600x1600bb.webp

1. Sacrifice (2:19)
2. Becoming a Hero (3:58)
3. End of the World (2:41)
4. West Qi – Homeland (3:21)
5. Daji, The Fox Demon (2:59)
6. Daji Seduces Zhou (2:33)
7. Heaven’s Theme – Revealing the Feng Shen Bang (3:00)
8. Shen Gong Bao’s Dark Magic (1:18)
9. Ji Fa’s Sacrifice – Enthronement of King Zhou (2:06)
10. Visiting West Qi – Consulting Ji Chang (3:15)
11. Heaven’s Punishment – King Zhou’s Sacrificial Pledge (4:19)
12. Nezha Saves the Mortals (1:54)
13. Shen Gong Bao Visits the Palace – Zhou Tests Feng Shen Bang (4:43)
14. The Gods Escape With the Feng Shen Bang (2:30)
15. Lullaby For Lei Zhenzi (4:15)
16. Patricide a Loyalty Pledge to the King (5:03)
17. Father and Son – The Imprisonment of Ji Chang (3:00)
18. Chasing the Fox Demon (1:46)
19. The Ultimate Sacrifice (1:51)
20. I Would Die for My Father (4:54)
21. Ji Fa Receives the Gift Horse (2:21)
22. Ji Chang Dragged to the Gallows (3:21)
23. Ji Fa a Hero’s Rite of Passage (9:42)
24. Showdown With Shen Gong Bao (4:06)
25. Return to West Qi (5:08)
26. Triumphal Music (1:07)
27. War Dance (1:22)
28. Enthronement (1:40)
29. Banquet Music at Lu Tai (1:08)
30. Execution Drum Music (1:48)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/電影-封神第一部-原聲帶/1698472253

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_the_Gods_I:_Kingdom_of_Storms

Apparently, this is Haab's attempt at writing a Howard Shore LOTR-like score, but obviously with an oriental flair.

Jon Broxton said on Facebook that he loved it... But he enjoys pretty much everything these days, so take that with a grain of salt.

• 3 months later...