Home Alone - 25th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2015)

Jay

On 13/12/2022 at 7:32 PM, rough cut said:

We’re visiting family in Madrid, Spain, when I noticed this playing in the background for the kids.

Cool!

weird as more or less is a literal translation of the english song while the official film version sung by a spanish singer in the end credits had a different translation

Cool, right?! Especially since the parents who picked the video/playlist purely did it with the purpose of entertaining their two kids (age 3 and 1). All videos have is accompanied by a ‘cute’ animation and the playlist compiles a selection of christmas songs with some traditional Spanish christmas music as well.

And then, suddenly, I hear Johnny! It’s incredible what reach that man has. :)

Here’s the full playlist:

(JW at 48:22, same animation as above)

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's absolutely essential. It's a rare case of an expansion where an unused alternate is actually one of the very best cues from the entire score:

Do we know whether JW did this arrangement?

On 25/12/2022 at 12:41 AM, Holko said:

Maybe that they're trying to count them, Buzz is interfering, and they're miscounting them because the neighbour kid "stands in for" Kevin?

Okay, so the "hard" in "Hard Count" refers to the difficulty of the counting process, and is not a typo or misreading of "head" (as in "head count"). Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly concert-related, but I just found this and it's fantastic:

• 1 month later...

I have to say this and I have to say it now: I love, LOVE that moment around 2:04 in the album version of Have Yourself a MLC and how he sings the first line after that crescendo. Ah, the joy of winding down with Christmas music in February.

• 10 months later...

Question: Why did a track like Setting the Trap not need an (extended version) as it's a bit longer than on the OST?

Also, it's a bit unfortunate that in the end credits, the cue after Holiday Flight starts a bit too late, the first note should clearly overlap with the end of HF.

Finally, it seems a bit strange that phone machine could not be its own track.

I remember reading in the booklet that he said he was “enchanted” by it when he was at that screening held at Amblin I think it was? It’s cool how he sees a (on the surface before release) a relatively small movie and thinks it’s magical and wants to retell it musically and then creates something that people remember upon the first watch.

38 minutes ago, Brando said:

It’s cool how he sees a (on the surface before release) a relatively small movie and thinks it’s magical and wants to retell it musically and then creates something that people remember upon the first watch.

The question is, of course: How magical was it before Williams worked on it? How "big" (in narrative scope, not commercial success) was it without music? 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The movie had a lot of heart, so there would have been something.  However, in terms of what other composers might have done, the melancholic/Christmas/fun combination is really hard to nail.  Guaraldi did it perfectly, but that is about it.  I think Williams was essential in this case.  

From the kind of movie I would have said, Home Alone could have been typical Alan Silvestri territory. And I am sure, he could have provided a fine score, too. Of course not on the level of Williams. But that would not have been necessary.

9 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

BBC Radio 3 has just played a track from HA1 as part of their live Christmas Eve programme. It wasn’t an obvious choice of track - anyone care to guess which they played?

Mark

'The Man of the House,Police Check'?

4 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

BBC Radio 3 has just played a track from HA1 as part of their live Christmas Eve programme. It wasn’t an obvious choice of track - anyone care to guess which they played?

I'm pretty confident it was this:

The Chicago PBS affiliate played a Christmas concert from DePaul Univerty the other night, which ended with “Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!” blissfully transitioning to instrumental for the credits. I commented to my brother that it sounded like Dustin Hoffman swordfighting a T. rex on Christmas, which I proceeded to input into an AI image generator, and here’s what I got. 

I also highly recommend “Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal” by the Black Flamingos if I haven’t shared it here before.  A surf guitar Home Alone medley—what’s not to love?

Merry Christmas to the filthy animals of JWFan!

IMG_6185.png