MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

12 hours ago, Seth said:

I loved Kraemer's score to Rogue Nation. Really effective interpolation of the Schifrin material with his own writing, orchestrations that were effective in how each section was used and played off of each other (so much clarity, compared to a lot of orchestral scores for big-budget action movies!) and pretty solidly engineered recording too. I think Kraemer would be a solid choice for a Star Wars spin-off if anyone thinks to ask.

It's the best RECORDED score in a long time, it's perfect.

What the hell, he did McQuarrie's first three films, so I wonder why he didn't do this one. Who's even scoring this? At this point are they even gonna have a score? So many questions, and damn, that's so disappointing to read. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess it was too traditional for the producers or whoever. They probably think it needs electronics to appeal to a modern audience. Or it could be that Zimmer's elbowed his way back. Then I'll boycott the film.

I like the visual image of Zimmer literally elbowing his way through to the producers with his fat ass. 

He did MI2 and then The Last Samurai, both produced by TC I think. Have they fallen apart once he did the first PotC (non-officially)? Even though in his contract it said he couldn't take any other projects.

I've read rumors that Balfe is making the score. These people say he has shared promotional material of the movie on his social networks.

JK has done a lot of talks in LA about working on Rogue Nation and according to him, the director wanted almost no score in the movie and definitely no action music.  The director even refers to this in the liner notes of the cd.  JK got a laugh when he said the director wanted to make "Stanley Kubrik's Mission Impossible".  Cruise overruled the director and told JK to write the score the movie really needed.  Sounds like the director didn't like that....

1 hour ago, elvisjones said:

JK has done a lot of talks in LA about working on this movie and according to him, the director wanted almost no score in the movie and definitely no action music.  The director even refers to this in the liner notes of the cd.  JK got a laugh when he said the director wanted to make "Stanley Kubrik's Mission Impossible".  Cruise overruled the director and told JK to write the score the movie really needed.  Sounds like the director didn't like that....

Wut? And that was a composer who worked with that director several times before?!?

That's downright bizarre...

Sad these directors who tie themselves to this fad of no intrusive scores.

12 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Wut? And that was a composer who worked with that director several times before?!?

That's downright bizarre...

Not is so surprising. Cruise has always had some decision-making power over the films he produces.And he worked with Beck and Beltrami for the last two films in which he worked as a screenwriter . Maybe it was already a sign that the two were no longer working together.

I know, that's exactly my point. I'm saying it's hilarious that McQuarrie originally thought Rogue Nation shouldn't have action music in it, and then what ended up being written is the best action music of the decade.

Justifications like "the director did not want action music in his film" are as unsatisfying and unrealistic as "Horner dropped Amazing Spider-Man because Gwen is going to die at the end of the film."

Wow, just saw the composer news. :(:(

It's not even just the fact that I liked the RN score -- it's how Kraemer appears to have been treated. I almost wonder if he'll be the best composer ever to have only one major project. :crymore:

I was so hyped for this film with its awesome new stunts and a great new action score. Now I'm not sure what to think. 

Of course, it would be kinda cool to hear, say, a Brian Tyler MI score. And maybe it would be really great, who knows. But at this point I'm almost worried that McQuarrie will get his wish and it will have barely any score (or at least orchestral score). 

It's just weird because I'm sure whatever this other composer is doing, Kraemer would have been able to do himself, and willing to do as well.  Makes me think Cruise and/or the studio wanted a name / trendy composer.

So, if there is very little or no score at all in the film, then we expect that it was Cruise allowing McQuarrie to pursue his stylistic choice this time around. However, if Tyler were to step in, would Cruise be to blame for not retaining Kraemer and giving into "corruption" by hiring his friend instead of following precedence? If it goes to someone like Balfe, then it is probably studios pulling their crap, but I can't imagine Abrams approving of that.

Well remembered! Bad Robot is usually meticulous in the choice of its composers.They idolize Spielberg and Williams. So far only Bear McCreary, Giacchino and Kraemer have made more than one movie with them.

Kraemer has not made more than one movie with them, since he isn't scoring Fallout.

John Williams will have two after Episode 9.

Anyway, looking forward to the trailer! Will it contain info about the music? 

That's Norway, btw.

Post doubled!:lol:
Why so much mystery?
Does Lalo Schifrin personally come from Argentina to make the soundtrack?

Edit: I posted the video along with Jay. I deleted it and made this comment.

Movie looks a little dark, although I hope that's just the spin they're putting on it for the trailer. In any event, I'm sure it will be really fun. The stunts are going to be awesome (mainly because Cruise did them himself!)