Damien F

Christopher McQuarrie To Direct Mission Impossible 6

Recommended Posts

You know what? I wouldn’t be surprised if this went back to Giacchino. It would make a lot of sense: JJ involvement, Bad Robots picture, and I suspect he didn’t score MI 5 because he was busy in 2015. It wouldn’t be my first choice, but better than Balfe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, saulocf said:

 I suspect hemossedimentação 5 because he was busy in 2015. 

 

what

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael Giacchino didn't score MI5 because Christopher McQuarrie used the same composer that had scored every one of his films he'd ever made so far (Kraemer scored The Way of the Gun and Jack Reacher).  It's a shame that after MI5 exceeded all expectations (film and score), he didn't instantly ask Kraemer to return the moment the film got a green light.  A goddamn, motherfucking shame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino didn't score MI5 because Christopher McQuarrie used the same composer that had scored every one of his films he'd ever made so far (Kraemer scored The Way of the Gun and Jack Reacher).  It's a shame that after MI5 exceeded all expectations (film and score), he didn't instantly ask Kraemer to return the moment the film got a green light.  A goddamn, motherfucking shame!

 

Could it be that Giacchino was the first choice of the producers for MI5, but he couldn't do it, and then the job naturally went to Kraemer because of his history with the director?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JJ and Bad Robot pushed for MG on MI5, the director and Cruise pushed for Kraemer.  The opera sequence was the deciding factor - Kraemer was available to come to London for 5 weeks to supervise the shoot, so that was his "fire-test" to prove to Bad Robot he was up to the task to score the movie.  Based on things Kraemer has said at various events in LA (SCL screening, ASMAC masterclass), it sounds like during postproduction the director and Cruise disagreed about what the music for MI5 needed to be.  The director lost, and since he couldn't replace Cruise on MI6 he replaced the composer instead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have enjoyed the films he's directed but with MI 1 through 5, I enjoyed that each film was done by a different director. If McQuarrie has wacky ideas about action scenes not needing music for MI6, then maybe somebody else should direct MI7 and they can bring Kraemer back, and McQuarrie can direct some other film not in the MI franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have enjoyed the films he's directed but with MI 1 through 5, I enjoyed that each film was done by a different director. If McQuarrie has wacky ideas about action scenes not needing music for MI6, then maybe somebody else should direct MI7 and they can bring Kraemer back, and McQuarrie can direct some other film not in the MI franchise.

Kraemer is not coming back, accept it and move on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the advice?  What an odd post.

It’s not that I don’t want him to return. Jack Reacher is one of my favorite scores in years. It’s just how often do you see someone return to a franchise after they’ve left? It doesn’t happen. Like all that hoopla around Deathly Hallows and John Williams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Wonder if it's a production-led issue? Fast And Furious 6 was filmed predominantly in Spain and had to hire a Spanish composer to qualify for tax relief.

 

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same here but with a Brit.

David Arnold then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wow, a lot of you guys really love this Kraemer guy. Could someone post some highlights from MI5 so I can hear what you guys are talking about? 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wow, a lot of you guys really love this Kraemer guy. Could someone post some highlights from MI5 so I can hear what you guys are talking about? 

 

It's a very conservative score and most people like it for that reason.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the links, Jay, I'll be sure to check them out! 

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's a very conservative score and most people like it for that reason.

 

Conservative in what sense? For a frame of reference, would you consider Elfman's score for the first one to be conservative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Thanks for the links, Jay, I'll be sure to check them out! 

 

Conservative in what sense? For a frame of reference, would you consider Elfman's score for the first one to be conservative?

Style and the level of reverence for Schifrin's material. I would consider Elfman's score to be anything but conservative. In fact those two represent the very best of this series but from two completely different perspectives.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elfman's score is pretty zany, with all those cuckoo clock and other unique percussion sounds, but he does neat variants of The Plot and the rips of the main theme are exciting and bombastic.

 

Kraemer's score is cool in that it's 100% acoustic (no synths at all), entirely written on pencil and paper (he wanted to only use what they could have used in the 60s for the show).  The action music is incredible and among the best the entirety of the 2010s has to offer, and some of the scene-setting cues are exquisite like the moment in Havanna to Vienna I posted, or the middle-eastern-flaired The Plot variant in The Syndicate.  He also does cool things with the harpsichord that are awesome, and has a cool theme for the villain in Solomon Lane's Theme (sadly, it doesn't really get developed too much in any film cues, but the concert arrangement is great).  It's literally my favorite score of 2015 and easily top 3 of the entire 2010s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the ASMAC seminar he gave in LA last year, Joe Kraemer explained that the director kept taking all the notes out of Solomon Lane's theme in the actual movie (he cited that scene in Amadeus where Emperor Josef told Mozart there were "too many notes, just remove a few").  So the concert version was his chance to show the theme the way he actually wanted it to sound.  Also, while he does write stuff out in pencil and paper, he does the actual composing and orchestrating on computer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

while he does write stuff out in pencil and paper, he does the actual composing and orchestrating on computer....

 

Aha, I didn't realize that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now