MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@elvisjones, could you say something about how you're involved in the industry?

I work with a music editor, and I know a few composers.  I went to the same school as Joe Kraemer and have since followed his career with great interest, it's true.

I am a huge John Williams fan, especially of his Star Wars music, so I usually only post about that, but since I kind of know Kraemer I post about that too sometimes....

4 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

I work with a music editor, and I know a few composers.  I went to the same school as Joe Kraemer and have since followed his career with great interest, it's true.

I am a huge John Williams fan, especially of his Star Wars music, so I usually only post about that, but since I kind of know Kraemer I post about that too sometimes....

So what do you do? Are you assisting the editor on soundtrack recordings?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

So what do you do? Are you assisting the editor on soundtrack recordings?

All sorts of things - archiving takes, helping find temp music, programming streamers and punches (although that is very rare these days), conforming old temps or mockups from a composer to a new version of the movie during the editing process, helping find things for soundtrack reissues, stuff like that.  once in a while i help with the printing and copying of the sheet music, and I used to do some orchestration work, but not really anymore.

5 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

All sorts of things - archiving takes, helping find temp music, programming streamers and punches (although that is very rare these days), conforming old temps or mockups from a composer to a new version of the movie during the editing process, helping find things for soundtrack reissues, stuff like that.  once in a while i help with the printing and copying of the sheet music, and I used to do some orchestration work, but not really anymore.

That sounds like an interesting job.

Have you ever worked on something JW related?

7 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

I wish, but no, not really.  I came really close on one thing, but it didn't work out.

Don't give up! After all, according to JW, it's sustained hard work that makes success! ;)

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

JWFan would hold a vigil and procession with a 24 hour marathon of Interstellar with Eric Whitacre playing the whole way through.

Karol

• 1 month later...

Early critical hype on this movie is off the charts

Typical review:

Vanity Fair: Mission: Impossible — Fallout Is the Best Action Movie of the Year

There’s also this:

Lorne Balfe’s score swells and thrums and booms in similarly epic proportions. He’s an acolyte of Nolan familiar Hans Zimmer, a fact you can hear in every chord that approaches “bwaaamp.”

Samples are online for Balfe's score; It's getting a 95 minute digital release by Paramount, as well a shorter physical CD by LLL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKV97LX

Go right to track 8 sample if you want to hear what he does with Schifrin's theme.

I'm listening with a completely open mind, but so far I haven't heard anything I like more than what Kraemer, Elfman, and Giacchino did

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Early critical hype on this movie is off the charts

My thoughts exactly. Currently 97% on RT. I assumed it would garner generally positive reviews, but I didn't expect it to receive straight-up critical acclaim.

Wasn't this the guy who said his scores were not intended for listening outside of the movies? He sure was right about that. And still he's OK with a 95 minute digital album release. :eh:

To think what Kraemer could have accomplished...

I really liked Kraemer's work on MI5 and Giacchino's work on MI4 (hated his MI3 score though) and I was a bit bummed that Kraemer didn't return for MI6 but I give Balfe the benefit of the doubt. I have yet to listen to the samples but he was clearly asked to score the movie in a certain way.

Btw check out his Genius: Picasso score... it's really good and the opposite of his horrible actions cores.

I am going to avoid listening to the score before I see the movie. This seems like a score to hear in context for the first time.

It’s also quite a pompous sounding score from the samples, which is very the modern thing.  I prefer Kraemer’s lighter-on-its-feet sound.

The best sounding ones are those percussion focused samples with lots congas and whatnot.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

The final track sample features Schifrin's theme backed up by EPIC CHOIR :pukeface:

Overall, not impressed at all.

That's one thing the M:I theme doesn't need.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s also quite a pompous sounding score from the samples, which is very the modern thing.  I prefer Kraemer’s lighter-on-its-feet sound.

The best sounding ones are those percussion focused samples with lots congas and whatnot.

That's a good way to describe it.

This is the 2nd most disappointing scoring assignment choice in recent years for me (right after David Arnold not being asked to score ID4 2). I really enjoyed Kraemer's score for the last one and I loved that he used the Puccini melody twice in the score for moments between Ethan and Ilsa, really liked his treatment of Lalo's themes.

Yes, it's very Zimmer/RCP esque which is the whole point here. McQuarrie wanted this film to feel super different from Rogue Nation, more dramatic and emotional, more 'epic', more balls out - people weren't kidding with the Fury Road comparisons because it's absolutely relentless action wise. Within that context therefore, this more RCP take on the material works. at least did for me and reviewers it seems.

Thoughts on the film itself - https://letterboxd.com/antovolk/film/mission-impossible-fallout/

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Samples are online for Balfe's score; It's getting 95 minute digital release by Paramount, as well a shorter physical CD by LLL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKV97LX

Go right to track 8 sample if you want to hear what he does with Schifrin's theme.

I'm listening with a completely open mind, but so far I haven't heard anything I like more than what Kraemer, Elfman, and Giacchino did

Elfman and Zimmer had the best score imo. They both have the best personality that fits their respective movies. Giacchino's score is just off. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I really liked Kraemer's work on MI5 and Giacchino's work on MI4 (hated his MI3 score though) and I was a bit bummed that Kraemer didn't return for MI6 but I give Balfe the benefit of the doubt. I have yet to listen to the samples but he was clearly asked to score the movie in a certain way.

Btw check out his Genius: Picasso score... it's really good and the opposite of his horrible actions cores.

Picasso didn't impress me. It is same old Balfe. Great concept, but the music doesn't go anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Like trailer music

The most succinct shorthand to describe what I was getting at with “pompous” and “airless”

13 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Giacchino's score is just off. 

Which one? He wrote 2.

Well, what can I say... It's an okay score, better than the samples indicated. I'm sure it will work very well in the film. But I don't think I'll be coming back to it often. Feels repetitive and just bangs you over the head in almost every cue. Maybe it will grow on me a little with more listens, but Kraemer's Rogue Nation will still remain infinitely better in my book. 

Balfe's best moments here are probably when he brings in the Shiffrin themes. Even then, however, he falls far short of achieving the utter delight that Kraemer did with his clever thematic counterpoint. 

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

They were both off-ul!

Naturally its MG standard subpar fair.

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Never heard any of the M:I scores (not in my interest at all), I was just being cheeky. 

I figured because you have seem to be a MG fan

I've never followed this series since the original movie which had the trailer for Star Trek: First Contact at the start of the VHS tape. However, I caught the trailer for this in the cinema a couple times and it looks awesome.