MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

Having listened to this whole thing (and by that I mean starting each track and skipping to the next one halfway through), I think Balfe is of Asian origin, and his name is actually Barfe.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:12 PM, Drew said:

Bad screenplays are still meant to lead films. If a bad screenplay "works" on some level for its film, is it immune to criticism in comparison to great screenplays? Sounds ridiculous, but that's how the score's proponents are dodging the criticism.

The literal purpose of a film score is to enhance the film in whichever way the director envisions. Everyone judging the score without seeing the film is doing so as a listening experience, something that the score isn’t meant to be listened as. Are you saying you read screenplays like books?

On 7/20/2018 at 9:20 PM, ComposerEthan said:

Can't believe Lorne said that. It should be both!  

No, it shouldn’t. 

On 7/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Exactly! Balfe seems to want the "best" from both worlds: to write a mediocre score with the minimum effort (or talent) that doesn't hold up outside the picture, and to cash in on an overlong soundtrack release.

Film score nerd double standard: Get pissed when a score release is 30 minutes and complain about it for 10 years until an expansion is released. When the first release is the complete score, bitch and moan about it being a bad listening experience. 

Composers don't “cash in” on album sales. 

Koray doesn't understand the origins of film music. But that's hardly surprising.

By that asinine logic, opera composers shouldn't have to pay too much attention to creating compelling music, as long as the libretto is good, the performance of the actors is good, and the stage design is great.

Too much philosophical discussion to pussyfoot around the fact that we got an awful score.

26 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Koray doesn't understand the origins of film music. But that's hardly surprising.

By that asinine logic, opera composers shouldn't have to pay too much attention to creating compelling music, as long as the libretto is good, the performance of the actors is good, and the stage design is great.

Too much philosophical discussion to pussyfoot around the fact that we got an awful score.

It literally cannot be an awful score if you haven’t seen the film to judge it on its merits as a fucking FILM score.

All this bullshit talk about music standing on its own. Is anyone’s favorite film score that of a movie they haven’t seen? Do people honestly not think of the FILM Star Wars, while listening to Star Wars? 

Why do people constantly go “Ooh I want to listen to this brand new John Williams score but want to hold out until I see the movie” if how it works in the context of the film doesn’t matter?

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Is anyone’s favorite film score that of a movie they haven’t seen? 

Image result for lionheart jerry goldsmith

Image result for hoosiers jerry goldsmith

Image result for rudy jerry goldsmith

Image result for under fire

(I have no idea what any of these movies are about, nor do I have much interest)

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Why do people constantly go “Ooh I want to listen to this brand new John Williams score but want to hold out until I see the movie” if how it works in the context of the film doesn’t matter?

Who except you says that? Also it's a load of rubbish that composers producing soundtrack albums do not earn money by it. Of course they do. Probably not very much, but still.

I probably listened to Solo half a dozen times before I saw the movie. I attempted to be patient and wait for the movie, but that didn't last long at all before I got addicted to Marauders Arrive

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Film score nerd double standard: Get pissed when a score release is 30 minutes and complain about it for 10 years until an expansion is released. When the first release is the complete score, bitch and moan about it being a bad listening experience. 

There is no double standard. The desired album length usually has to do with how good the music is. I prefer completeness. If completeness is less listenable, then it says something about the score.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It doesn't seem like my cup of tea genre-wise, but what the hey, I'll heed your word. 

Just imagine Nick Nolte being a blue drawn ant-eater frantically searching for food and it should be fine.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

There is no double standard. The desired album length usually has to do with how good the music is. I prefer completeness. If completeness is less listenable, then it says something about the score.

Sorry mate, John Williams could write a 5 hour epic and it wouldn’t be listenable. 

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Who except you says that? Also it's a load of rubbish that composers producing soundtrack albums do not earn money by it. Of course they do. Probably not very much, but still.

I don’t say that, people on this board do. Just hit up any of the threads 2 weeks before a film drops. And of course composers get a cut of the album profits, but no one is “cashing in,” as if they’re making millions off an album release. 

Yeah, on man/child Star Wars. But generally you will find here or elsewhere that score fans often never have seen movies for scores they hold dear, and Goldsmith is just one case-in-point. 

The only reason I've seen most of the movies John Powell's scored is because I used to babysit a lot. And while I don't mind the Blue Sky stuff, I don't think about them much when listening to the music. 

56 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That's a false dichotomy, an extreme that implies the music's value as aural entertainment and its function as a film device--indeed, its primary function--are mutually exclusive. 

Really, though, I would say the argument is rather clear-cut here: if a composer believes that they're there to support the film musically, anything else being a happy byproduct, fine, great. _But_ when that work gets transferred to the medium of CD, FLAC, LP, whatever--a medium inherently designed to entertain listeners in an audio format--and people critique it as such (especially when it's an hour and a half), then it seems pretty glib and false-ringing for a composer to shrug that criticism off: "Eh, not my fault this musical album is boring, it's not meant to be a standalone listen."

I get it: I've written stuff for scores that served its function well enough as a dramatic tool, but with little musical value..as a composer I try to satisfy both ends, but there are times where you're just not allowed the opportunity to be so graceful. My solution, though: don't put that out there for people to listen to!

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

I have not seen a single Ice Age movie and intend to keep it this way.

You ain't missin' much, me bucko. 

You're better off listening to Dawn of the Dinosaurs and imagining it's John Powell telling the story of a family (a lesbian couple and their two adopted kids) journeying to a mysterious island of prehistoric beasts (they were on a quest for the perfect picnic spot!) and getting themselves into various hi-jinks and perils, including a mother T-rex who finds the two kids being separated from their parents in the ruckus, adopting them as her own children and protecting them from a ferocious spinosaurus until their parents are able to reunite with them at the end. 

14 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That's a false dichotomy, an extreme that implies the music's value as aural entertainment and its function as a film device--indeed, its primary function--are mutually exclusive. 

Really, though, I would say the argument is rather clear-cut here: if a composer believes that they're there to support the film musically, anything else being a happy byproduct, fine, great. _But_ when that work gets transferred to the medium of CD, FLAC, LP, whatever--a medium inherently designed to entertain listeners in an audio format--and people critique it as such (especially when it's an hour and a half), then it seems pretty glib and false-ringing for a composer to shrug that criticism off: "Eh, not my fault this musical album is boring, it's not meant to be a standalone listen."

I get it: I've written stuff for scores that served its function well enough as a dramatic tool, but with little musical value..as a composer I try to satisfy both ends, but there are times where you're just not allowed the opportunity to be so graceful. My solution, though: don't put that out there for people to listen to!

If composers listened to the criticism of rabid nostalgia driven film score fans, they’d be out of work. The only criticism they should listen to is that of their director or producer. 

@Koray Savas I don't know why you feel so compelled to make yourself the mouthpiece for hoary old Ford Thaxton clichés on a board devoted to film music...? This is all deep yadda yadda territory and sounds as if we should be satisified with any mediocre shit thrown our way. Why not push for better music instead of bolstering a commercial industry that gets by pretty well without unpaid outsiders singing their tune.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The literal purpose of a film score is to enhance the film in whichever way the director envisions. Everyone judging the score without seeing the film is doing so as a listening experience, something that the score isn’t meant to be listened as. Are you saying you read screenplays like books?

No, it shouldn’t. 

Composers don't “cash in” on album sales. 

Completely right. No composer makes any money from album sales. And I always prefer a long album. I like having as much music as possible.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

@Koray Savas I don't know why you feel so compelled to make yourself the mouthpiece for hoary old Ford Thaxton clichés on a board devoted to film music...? This is all deep yadda yadda territory and sounds as if we should be satisified with any mediocre shit thrown our way. Why not push for better music instead of bolstering a commercial industry that gets by pretty well without unpaid outsiders singing their tune.

Just calling out the hypocritical bullshit as I see fit. Just because you prefer orchestral leitmotif driven scores doesn’t make them the right and only way to approach a film score. “Better music,” as you say. If everything sounded like Williams, Goldsmith, and Horner, the industry would be a vapid place. It’s a witch hunt against Balfe that’s undeserved. 

24 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

If composers listened to the criticism of rabid nostalgia driven film score fans, they’d be out of work. The only criticism they should listen to is that of their director or producer. 

I agree with you in a certain light--in regards to most creative endeavors, not just film scores. I don't wish to beat you over the head with my viewpoint on the rest, though, so I'll leave it where it is.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Just calling out the hypocritical bullshit as I see fit. Just because you prefer orchestral leitmotif driven scores doesn’t make them the right and only way to approach a film score. “Better music,” as you say. If everything sounded like Williams, Goldsmith, and Horner, the industry would be a vapid place. It’s a witch hunt against Balfe that’s undeserved. 

Who said this is a traditional orchestral score vs electronic-imbued score argument? 

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You are just your usual idiotic self. Straw-grasping of the highest order.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Completely right. No composer makes any money from album sales. And I always prefer a long album. I like having as much music as possible.

Are you saying that none of the album profits allow Balfe to take a lady friend out to a nice restaurant or makes groceries easier to buy for a week? I find that hard to believe.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

You are just your usual idiotic self. Straw-grasping of the highest order.

I like Koray, he's cool! 

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Are you saying that none of the album profits allow Balfe to take a lady friend out to a nice restaurant or makes groceries easier to buy for a week? I find that hard to believe.

Lol, Balfe doesn’t own the rights and what he makes from album sales is maybe less than 1% of what he makes from his straight up fee and his royalty earnings from movie showings or when it is shown on TV.

1 minute ago, Mr. Who said:

Lol, Balfe doesn’t own the rights and what he makes from album sales is maybe less than 1% of what he makes from his straight up fee and his royalty earnings from movie showings or when it is shown on TV.

Doesn't he get album royalties as well, plus any royalties from airplay on a film music radio station or something?

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Doesn't he get album royalties as well, plus any royalties from airplay on a film music radio station or something?

That depends on what contract he has with the studio but generally album royalties or when it’s played on a radio station is almost no money for the composer.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

If I was a girl, I wouldn't date a guy who does Mission: Impossible music like that. 

Reminds me of Miles Davis' philosophy towards music: a young beginner would play a show knowing he was there, trying to impress him. Afterwards they'd go up to him and ask for his approval: "What did you think, Mr. Davis?"

Miles Davis' response: "Do you kiss your girlfriend the way you play trumpet?" 

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It’s pennies to the dollar, if anything. Either way, your average film score doesn’t sell like a Kanye West album.