MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

47 minutes ago, antovolk said:

There was a bit of apprehension from people at the time about his decision to return as, sure, RN is great but people had come to expect a different director for these films every time. 

How much does an average audience member really care about that, or even notice?

48 minutes ago, antovolk said:

And I keep banging on about this, see the damn film before jumping to conclusions about whether McQuarrie doing that and ditching most of his collaborators is bad or not. Or are creative partnerships more sacred over anything else?

I didn't say it was good or bad, I just questioned the logic behind his motive.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

Film music media did an interview with balfe about mi6

EDIT: finally got a chrono order down for this

1. A Storm Is Coming (Logos)
  2. Should You Choose To Accept...
  3. Good Evening, Mr. Hunt
  4. A Terrible Choice
  5. The Manifesto
  6. Fallout (Main Titles)
  7. Your Mission
  8. Free Fall 
  9. The White Widow
  10. The Exchange
  11. Escape Through Paris
  12. Steps Ahead
  13. We Are Never Free
  14. No Hard Feelings
  15. Stairs and Rooftops
  16. Kashmir
  17. Fate Whispers To The Warrior
  18. The Warrior Whispers Back
  19. Unfinished Business
  20. I Am The Storm 
  21. Scalpel and Hammer
  22. Cutting on One
  23. The Last Resort
  24. Mission: Accomplished (Curtain Call)
  25. Change of Plan (not in film)
  26. The Syndicate (not in film)

Saw the film last night. Pretty damn solid! Score worked really well, despite being straight up TKDR; though the film also felt very TKD/R which I really enjoyed. 

Definitely didn't like the synth sample sound (even if they are real instruments) during the truck heist prep.  

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Just to give people a heads-up: at 15:00hrs, BST (1 minute from now) BBC Radio 3 has an hour-long special on M:I-F, and Lorne Balfe.

Link for streaming:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b0bck299

I gave the score a listen. A solid score. I imagine it works well in the film. A lot of Hans Zimmer Batman vibes. It's the kind of score that is perfectly thrilling to listen to once, but that I will never return to.

3 hours ago, Locrius said:

Is this sort of reaction to be expected, from this reviewer? Not too familiar.

Kaya is Koray's brother and they regularly interview composers and review albums on their site. I'd imagine that giving bad reviews is probably not great for business.

I also notice they gave 2/5 for Fallen Kingdom and rated Solo lower than Fallout. Wow.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess they bribed the reviewer with a ... free CD? :sarcasm:

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Kaya is Koray's brother and they regularly interview composers and review albums on their site. I'd imagine that giving bad reviews is probably not great for business.

I also notice they gave 2/5 for Fallen Kingdom and rated Solo lower than Fallout. Wow.

If we hand out good reviews, then why would Fallen Kingdom get a 2/5?

Dude, what is with you lately?  You have been very aggressive and this is like your third personal attack in a week.  Please re-read the rules of our forum before continuing to post in this new manner.  Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

If we hand out good reviews, then why would Fallen Kingdom get a 2/5? Fucking twat. 

I guess Richard was referring to the fact that you gave the score to Fallout 5/5 at the same time as you published an interview with the composer. Some people might wonder if the two are connected, especially when Fallout is widely considered a mediocre score at best.

@Koray Savas, I actually have to say I agree almost 100% with your brother's review. (This is somewhat embarrassing to admit, given my harsh initial reaction to the score, but it's grown on me!) 

I would probably give it four stars, as I don't think it's quite as good as Kraemer's RN (a five star score in my book). I also don't think it's quite as good as Solo, which I also would give five stars. However, it's a solid entry in the franchise. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Dude, what is with you lately?  You have been very aggressive and this is like your third personal attack in a week.  Please re-read the rules of our forum before continuing to post in this new manner.  Thank you.

Sorry, I’ll delete the insult. But it’s also insulting to accuse someone of bribes and not being ethical. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess Richard was referring to the fact that you gave the score to Fallout 5/5 at the same time as you published an interview with the composer. Some people might wonder if the two are connected.

Does it not make sense to time the release of the interview and review to when the film premieres? The interview came before the review.

Seen it twice already. What a marvelous film and I am so, so, so glad I didn't listen to the soundtrack before going in. The soundtrack blew.me.away. I loved the use of the Mission theme, I loved the tone of the score. Fourth day in a row I wake up with those bongos stuck in my head. I'd say FALLOUT has my favorite soundtrack of all the Mission films. 

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Who mentioned bribes exactly?

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess they bribed the reviewer with a ... free CD? :sarcasm:

Those who got the joke would understand I wasn't accusing him of taking bribes. I don't think any serious reviewer would let himself be bribed by getting a free copy of the album he's going to review.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A lot of people have been acting like a horses hind end here lately Jay. It's almost like JWFan has become The Jerk Store.

It all ties into my theory that foul tempers and revolution percolate in the sweltering summer heat.  Management should watch itself.

A few people taking things a bit too seriously lately...

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess Richard was referring to the fact that you gave the score to Fallout 5/5 at the same time as you published an interview with the composer. Some people might wonder if the two are connected, especially when Fallout is widely considered a mediocre score at best.

I'm pretty sure the two are connected (not by time, as Koray said, just that they both happened) and that that's why Koray is being particularly fanboyish in this case.

And I listened to the first 20 minutes of the album today. Meh.

9 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Any known reason why they're not using the still-alive Lalo Schifrin? 

He's practically been retired from the film industry for a decade, I don't know if he did anything after Rush Hour 3. He's not that great a film composer, though, so he's much better off writing all the concert pieces he's been over the years.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Hey, don't be dissin' Abominable

Some good moments (I love when Schifrin uses low strings soli), but he's the film equivalent of Jeremy Soule, he amps almost everything up to 12 all the time! Chill out, amigo, this music doesn't need to be that busy or extreme!

55 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

A few people taking things a bit too seriously lately...

It's been that way since BloodBoal left.  BloodBoal not being here is like Lancelot missing from the Round Table.

45 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If you ever get to thinking though...

CD albums or sheet music?

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

It's been that way since BloodBoal left.  BloodBoal not being here is like Lancelot missing from the Round Table.

He was the table.

from IKEA...