MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

On 7/15/2018 at 3:01 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I've never followed this series since the original movie which had the trailer for Star Trek: First Contact at the start of the VHS tape. However, I caught the trailer for this in the cinema a couple times and it looks awesome. 

I suggest you watch the previous installment before watching Fallout, as the latter is a direct continuation of the story of the former.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I might have asked about this before, but has Silvestri's rejected store to the first M:I ever leaked? It seems so when reading Southall's review.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I suggest you watch the previous installment before watching Fallout, as the latter is a direct continuation of the story of the former.

Ideally one should watch all of them beforehand but really, 5 and 3 are a must.

None of the Mission Impossible movies really make reference to any plot elements of any previous one. The only really important other character is his wife from 3, who also shows up at the end of 4 (then isn't mentioned in 5 at all).

Yeah, Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg show up in multiple entries, but their characters aren't really developed at all and you don't need to see their intro movies to get their characters in later movies. They just kind of help him on his missions and that's that.

I haven't seen Fallout yet so can't speak to that one.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

None of the Mission Impossible movies really make reference to any plot elements of any previous one. The only really important other character is his wife from 3, who also shows up at the end of 4 (then isn't mentioned in 5 at all).

Yeah, Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg show up in multiple entries, but their characters aren't really developed at all and you don't need to see their intro movies to get their characters in later movies. They just kind of help him on his missions and that's that.

I haven't seen Fallout yet so can't speak to that one.

Fallout carries on a storyline which began in 4 (and quite heavily relies on Rogue Nation) as well as having clear thematic reference to 3 and easter egg link to 1

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It leaked over 20 years ago, yes.

And it looks like it leaked in its entirety as well given they only recorded less than half an hour.

@Jurassic Shark here's the finale of the first film with Silvestri's score restored. Hilarious how it sounds like Nixon.

Karol

I actually walked past a shop this morning that was having its renovations done and with the clamour thought someone was playing the latest 'cool' single. Sounded a lot like the industrial noise here. Turned out it was actually industrial noise from some guys molding a hatch. How have we got to a stage when construction workers make better music than actual composers? Seriously. Have a look at yourself, and have an even more thorough look at Zimmer as the embodiment of this retardation.

I know this is an old man argument but really - Dunkirk is the same stuff they do down the road and Hans would not deny it.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

@Jurassic Shark here's the finale of the first film with Silvestri's score restored. Hilarious how it sounds like Nixon.

De Palma's film editor Paul Hirsch (Academy Award winner for Best Editing of Star Wars, btw) used cues from Williams' Nixon as temp score. Williams was also approached to write the score, but he allegedly refused because he didn't want to reuse Lalo Schifrin's theme.

I like Southall's suggestion (from his review) that McQuarrie wanted a Nolan-like sound. I would say it's a pretentious approach, but that would indicate that Zimmer's scores were particularly good in the first place.

I do wonder what a composer gets out of scoring a film in this style. Just the cache of having scored a major franchise?

And will this, like so many others before, be the film that ends his collaboration with Kraemer?

Silvestri basically reworked his Mission: Impossible work into his Eraser score from that same summer.  He didn't reuse any melodies or anything, but the general sound of it

Yes

On 7/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, antovolk said:

15 hours ago, antovolk said:

Ideally one should watch all of them beforehand but really, 5 and 3 are a must.

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

Fallout carries on a storyline which began in 4 (and quite heavily relies on Rogue Nation) as well as having clear thematic reference to 3 and easter egg link to 1

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

De Palma's film editor Paul Hirsch (Academy Award winner for Best Editing of Star Wars, btw) used cues from Williams' Nixon as temp score. Williams was also approached to write the score, but he allegedly refused because he didn't want to reuse Lalo Schifrin's theme.

Wait, so he followed the temp almost religiously and still got fired? Must be a first!

Karol

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Wait, so he followed the temp almost religiously and still got fired? Must be a first!

Karol

Well, it seems like Cruise was very demanding about how the score should be, much more than Brian De Palma.

14 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Well, it seems like Cruise was very demanding about how the score should be, much more than Brian De Palma.

Yeah Silvestri was reportedly quite baffled as everything went smoothly during recording sessions. But then, Elfman stated that Silvestri didn't have a benefit of having a very close collaborative relationship with the director. De Palma was too pre-occupied with other aspects of the film to guide the composer.

Karol

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Tom Cruise scares me. He reminds me too much of my stepfather.

Your stepfather drives motorcycles real fast with some cool shades?

Karol

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I like Southall's suggestion (from his review) that McQuarrie wanted a Nolan-like sound. I would say it's a pretentious approach, but that would indicate that Zimmer's scores were particularly good in the first place.

I do wonder what a composer gets out of scoring a film in this style. Just the cache of having scored a major franchise?

And will this, like so many others before, be the film that ends his collaboration with Kraemer?

Precisely what I've been trying to say, having seen the film. It's *very* Nolan-esque with shades of Mad Max Fury Road, it's both more dramatically heavy and has more action momentum than Rogue Nation or GP, this sort of 'RCP/Zimmer' sound therefore is very fitting.

Just now, antovolk said:

It's *very* Nolan-esque with shades of Mad Max Fury Road

That definitely explains why the critics are going so gaga for it.  I mean, Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation were both well-received by critics, but the reviews for Fallout are practically rapturous.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

That definitely explains why the critics are going so gaga for it.  I mean, Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation were both well-received by critics, but the reviews for Fallout are practically rapturous.

it's not just in intent (otherwise Zack Snyder's DC films would be less divisive than they are), it's how insanely well McQ executes it. And to think that they only had an outline at the start of shooting and so much of the story/characters were figured out while shooting...in the case of RN it was only the last act that had this experimentation, with this it was approach for the whole film.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is bad for the future of scoring. More proof that people just want a Zimmer clone score and draws no attention to itself whatsoever.

Just now, antovolk said:

it's not just in intent (otherwise Zack Snyder's DC films would be less divisive than they are), it's how insanely well McQ executes it. And to think that they only had an outline at the start of shooting and so much of the story/characters were figured out while shooting...in the case of RN it was only the last act that had this experimentation, with this it was approach for the whole film.

Oh yes, I was not meaning to imply that the style is easy to pull off.  I can't wait to see it!  Why isn't it opening this weekend????

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

This is bad for the future of scoring. More proof that people just want a Zimmer clone score and draws no attention to itself whatsoever.

For this movie and the overall approach McQuarrie went for in this film, a 'Zimmer clone score' was appropriate. And it's not like Kraemer's or Giacchino's scores for RN and GP weren't praised by critics in their reviews of the film, were they?

If you have an issue with them aping Nolan and Fury Road take it to McQuarrie who clearly wanted the film to be this way. Go on, he's incredibly active on Twitter.

That's like saying he should have kept Elswit as DoP and not hired the guy who did Annihilation/Ex Machina. Or kept the same costume designer. Or same production designer. Or whoever else he changed between this and Rogue Nation.

Come on, is it not clear what McQuarrie tried to do here, which he's been quite open about in interviews?

I'll concede this point - maybe he could have tried asking Zimmer himself to return? (or maybe he did and then, like Zimmer did to Villeneuve with 2049, directed him to Balfe/Wallfisch)

I heard they had to hire a British composer in order to qualify for tax relief, but that might just be conjecutre.

If that really is the case, it doesn't explain why the score is such a departure (and a bad one at that) from everything that came previously.

(Plus, why not get John Powell, David Arnold, Ed Shearmur, Alex Heffes or Daniel Pemberton?)

1 hour ago, Will said:

Well also there's just the way Kraemer was treated. He claims he wasn't contacted at all about the film until very late in the game (and then to simply tell him he wasn't being brought back). McQ couldn't even chat with him about whether he could write the kind of score needed? 

If he was trying to emulate Nolan musically then it seems to me he just wanted Zimmer, who gives him the next available clone. Not talking to Kraemer at all I think says a lot - that he just wasn't interested in his music at all but wanted the RCP brand. Surprised he didn't ask Zimmer to write a theme so they could put his name on the cover...

Have you guys seen the Twitter storm that I accidentally started with a simple poll about if the Fallout mixing sounds like samples?

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m not on Twitter.  Summarize, please.

Aren't all Twitter controversies the same?

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I found it.  Lorne Balfe has the patience of a saint.

I wish to find this and read it.