MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT (2018) - Film & Score

Damien F

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Kraemer has not made more than one movie with them, since he isn't scoring Fallout.

John Williams will have two after Episode 9.

I'm wrong about Kraemer.  However, on JW situation, we can say that here is one of those cases where "Bad Robot joined the Williams project" and not "Williams was hired by the JJ company." 

Why was Kraemer not asked for Fallout? Did CM want a different tone, did Paramount overrule him for composer choice (since Jim Gianopoulos is running it) or what?

18 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Shucks, sorry, bud. Certainly didn't mean to elicit that kind of response out of ya. 

Oh, no problem, it was funny after the initial .1 seconds of shock. :lol:

I was wondering why I kept having to revert edits on Wikipedia that put Jackman on there...

This speculation is crazy. Some sources say Tyler, someone said Balfe, and now Jackman. Tyler (even in low form) is clearly the lesser of the evils here.

IMDb does not have a reputation for being completely accurate. If I remember, they were partially responsible for the meltdown that occurred when Junkie XL was mistakenly announced for Godzilla 2.

Meh.

Maybe the producers won't like what he's doing, and he'll get let go and replaced by Joe Kraemer?

I assume this is the stunt video in question

The news is as exciting as his scores for "The Crown" and the latter "12 Strong". His work on Lego Batman is what still leaves a spark of hope.

The music from the video looks like Dunkirk mixed with MI2.

He worked on lots of Zimmer scores, for example Kung Fu Panda 2 (and I believe the first, obviously he worked on 3), cues like More Cannons and the finale are said to be Balfe.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never listened to a Lorne Balfe score before

You have not missed much. He's good with animations, but nothing out of the ordinary for DW films.

3 hours ago, James said:

You have not missed much. He's good with animations, but nothing out of the ordinary for DW films.

This is the case with most RCP composers. Why do they write rousing scores for animation and then write generic boredom for almost everything else?

It's because animation is still a field, where music is important, and composers are asked to at least be exciting as a result. Live action films on the other hand usually isn't supposed to have music that actually "stands out" as much, and thus the composers follow suit. 

I figured out why Kraemer wasn't asked to score the next one: his work was TOO GOOD!

It was such divine perfection that not even he could ever hope to top it.

So to avoid disappointment, they decided to give someone else the chance.

Or.... maybe that's not exactly the truth after all. ;)

My concern is that whatever happened with Fallout has made him an unsafe choice of composer for a major franchise in the eyes of the studios. Back in 2015, I really thought Rogue Nation was his big break like The Incredibles was for Giacchino. It seems that wasn't the case sadly.

7 minutes ago, Damien F said:

My concern is that whatever happened with Fallout has made him an unsafe choice of composer for a major franchise in the eyes of the studios. Back in 2015, I really thought Rogue Nation was his big break like The Incredibles was for Giacchino. It seems that wasn't the case sadly.

Nothing happened with Fallout, he wasn’t asked to return. 

Well, it's surely strange that Kraemer wasn't brought back for Fallout when the score to RN was such a success.

Anyway, Kraemer is attached to a flick titled "The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot". Sounds interesting! :D

I believe the implication is that he was in London for Mission Impossible and he's saying he wishes that was the case but that he is there just because that's where he lives. He wishes he was scoring Mission Impossible, but he isn't, is I think what is to be taken by the exchange.

Joe Kraemer says

There seems to be some confusion in the film music community re:my assoc with MI6:Fallout. Here's the deal: I wasn't hired, fired, or replaced. I was notified by email that I was not being asked back. That is the full extent of my involvement with the film & the filmmakers.

https://www.facebook.com/joekraemer/posts/10214545856576062