The Force Awakens film to feature "Cantina Song" written by Lin-Manuel Miranda & JJ Abrams

aj_vader

From an Amazon Site. http://www.amazon.it/Star-Wars-Awakens-John-Williams/dp/B014V6JIQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448886974&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+force+awakens+soundtrack

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

international version

Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Pictures and visionary director JJ Abrams bring us back to a distant galaxy, "Star Wars" back in Italian cinemas from 16 December! The seventh episode of the saga is played by Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Max Von Sydow. The screenplay was written by JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. One of the most anticipated films of 2015:

• In two weeks the official trailer has racked up 167 million views on digital platforms
  • One of the most popular titles and collected the history of cinema
  • One of scores more expectations, composed of "living legend" John Williams (22 Grammy Award, and author of scores such as ET - the Extra Terrestrial, Indiana Jones, Superman, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Meetings Encounters of the Third Kind, Harry Potter)
The highly anticipated soundtrack to "Star Wars - The Force Awakens" contains more than one hour of music + 1 track ("cellar" song) with the voices of the alien characters that appear in the film.

ADMIN NOTE: Click HERE to jump to the official confirmation and announcement of Lin-Manuel Miranda's involvement.

Or click HERE to see the video of JJ Abrams announcing it.

What could fill 25 pages?

Doug seems to have some inside access to Star Wars, based on his tweets/comments (he saw Star Wars with Williams and Spielberg?!, bits of manuscripts etc).

Pictures my dear SUH. Stills from the film, J.J. Abrams' gush note and a note from John Williams, the track list and then some more pictures.

Of course! Abrams' gush note. Do you think he'll include the phrase 'music from the Gods', or will that remain unreleased?

Yep, had a feeling JJ would do some kind of musical interlude or band sequence, given the precedent from the OT (And why wouldn't you, when you have Williams scoring your film?)

It's the kind of old school charm that the prequels utterly lacked and failed to transpose from the OT.

I wonder how much more than an hour of music? 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes??

10 Minutes hopefully :D

That means 61 minutes of music + the Cantina song.

Would the inclusion of a "cellar song" seem to indicate that the track listings were posted prematurely/were inaccurate? I can't place my finger on a track title that would seem to be the cellar song from the leaked listings.

Yes.

A cantina is a type of bar popular in Italy, Mexico, and Spain. The word is similar in etymology to "canteen", and is derived from the Italian word for a cellar, winery, or vault.[1]

And maybe it isn't standalone and just thrown into part of a track, like "Maz's Counsel". Or maybe "The Rathtars!" is the name of a band. :P

Ah, there's that memorable dance/band song they mentioned in the description of the first recording session!

What's the source for this?

This thread: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25417

I don't particularly care about the Cellar music but if it means that the "Operatic Cantilena" described in the article exists, then :groupwave::joy::w00t:

crap news. 60 minutes + gimmic song (I know in advance I won't care for it)

no matter what's on the c.d. we'll all be disappointed

assuming we get that 30 minutes of music not in the film on the c.d., that means 1 hour and a half of unreleased music

Not Thor, E.T. and Elliot and Drax at least. Unless they have some reservations about the music itself.

:lol:

I realize I'm just some whacko who goes against the status quo to all you people, but come on. You're already demanding revised albums and additional music when you haven't even heard anything from the score.

Ah, there's that memorable dance/band song they mentioned in the description of the first recording session!

What's the source for this?

This thread: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25417

I don't particularly care about the Cellar music but if it means that the "Operatic Cantilena" described in the article exists, then :groupwave::joy::w00t:

The cool thing about that description probably being real is how much variety is indicated between those four pieces alone. It just reminds me again that it's quite a special thing for Williams to have been hitched to a franchise like Star Wars that could be revived twice on such a huge scale. I mean, how crazy is it that in one single score we could get an operatic piece, a march, a jazz tune, and a Romantic character theme, plus more. Both as a standalone and in the wider context of his legacy, it's a lovely thing to have something like this late in a composer's career. We will now have Star Wars at three different stages and get to see how his perspective on it has changed each time. There's bound to be certain types of music that are inferior to what he's done before, some will be about the same, but I think we will also discover that he's taken an approach to at least something that's better than ever, be it a classic theme or a musical style or a narrative idea. It's quite a privilege, whether the score turns out to have a completely fresh sound, the same-old same-old, or something in between.

Add to that having an eclectic and unwaveringly loyal filmmaker like Spielberg who has never found himself wanting for an audience and considering the unfortunate ebb-and-flow career of many filmmakers and composers, John's been pretty lucky (and so have we).

I agree wholeheartedly. The diversity suggested by the reports reminds me of The Prisoner of Azkaban, which also had many different elements thrown in.

I'm looking forward to the two concert arrangements of themes that will be repeated verbatim in the end credits.

I like how Williams has done that with the Star Wars scores and albums. I just wish Revenge of the Sith's End Credits had something unique in addition to Battle of the Heroes (like the ending of the Love Theme in AOTC's End Credits), not music from the OT that had nothing to do with that score.

Perhaps the Cellar Song will become the main theme of the movie like "Double Trouble" did for Azkaban.

Dude!

Maybe Cellar Song will be the main new theme of the film. That'd be awesome.

Duel Of The Fates

Across The Stars

Battle Of The Heroes

Cellar Song

Yep, fits right in.

What I'm thinking is a bit more extensive than that. It will replace the traditional Star Wars end credits just like "Double Trouble" replaced "Harry's Wondrous World".

Bomb dropped: JJ Abrams just revealed on Fallon that the jazz number was not actually written by Williams but by Lin-Manuel Miranda of In the Heights and Hamilton fame....along with JJ himself (?!?!)

Apparently what happened is Williams had told Abrams he preferred to focus on the score (and Abrams did throw in a "JJ Baby" when he was quoting him ;)) and not have to also write the cantina music. Then not long after that JJ happened to see Hamilton, bumped into Miranda who made an offhand joke about writing a cantina tune, not knowing Williams didn't really want to write it or that there would be such a sequence in the film. And then Abrams literally said "now there is this cantina song that Lin-Manuel Miranda and I wrote."

So erm...wow!