EDWARD SCISSORHANDS by Danny Elfman - new Intrada Expanded

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

12301513_10153353985742169_4220142846192

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS

Composed and Conducted by DANNY ELFMAN

INTRADA INT 7146

In Celebration of the 25th anniversary of Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands, Intrada presents an expanded edition of Danny Elfman's mesmerizing, fairy-tale score. Keying off the film’s opening with the 20th Century Fox logo adorned in falling snow and echoing the effect of snowflakes, the score starts with celesta notes and a soulful boys and women’s choir—Elfman’s own “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.” The composer’s opening showcases two melodies: one accentuating the fairy-tale aspect of the story, while a beautifully resolving melody underscores the emotional core of the tale. Edward Scissorhands, in fact, allowed Elfman to explore a wide range of expression, from the opening fairytale vibe to the creepy, semi-suspenseful atmosphere of Eward's castle, and the cheerful, innocent pizzicato of the world outside that Edward discovers.

Presented in cooperation with 20th Century Fox and Universal Music Group, this expanded edition is in near chronological sequence (some short cues were repositioned for musical purposes) and includes a suite of extras featuring the trailer, alternates, Tom Jones’ “With These Hands” and Christmas carols.

The film depicts a shy housewife and Avon lady, Peg (Dianne Wiest), discovering a strange young man with scissors for hands. Named Edward, he lives alone in a foreboding hilltop castle. Flashbacks show Edward as a robot boy constructed by a kindly mad scientist (Vincent Price), who dies before he can provide Edward with human hands. Peg’s daughter, Kim (Winona Ryder) and the strange young man soon begin experiencing the beginnings of a doomed, inexpressible love for one another. After demonstrating his artistic skills on the local shrubbery and his neighbors’ hair, Edward is accepted by Peg’s fellow suburbanites, but eventually their own provincial prejudices cause them to turn on the misfit and drive him back to his home.

INTRADA INT 7146

Retail Price: $19.99

SHIPPING NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit:

Emotionally rich, grand Danny Elfman soundtrack for famed 1990 Tim Burton fantasy romance with dark overtones finally gets expanded treatment! Johnny Depp plays Edward in nervous, moving fashion, Vincent Price wraps his own legendary career as The Inventor, Winona Ryder plays beautiful romantic lead Kim Boggs, Kathy Baker enacts comic neighbor Joyce. Tale is by turns spellbinding and eccentric, haunting and romantic. Danny Elfman tackles multiple musical challenges by covering every base: ideas are tuneful, melodic, quirky, exciting, inventive, powerful, grand, intimate - and ultimately haunting. Main theme alternates between major harmonies, minor ones as upwards-leaning melody unfolds in gently yearning fashion. With gentle arpeggio figures, transparent orchestrations, boys choir in the mix, this theme remains one of Elfman's most heartfelt and endearing. Even in its most passioned, sweeping orchestral/choral perorations, this theme remains tender and romantic, colored with a tinge of tragedy. Beautiful writing! Numerous thematic ideas cover all those other bases, from comic hair-cut scenes to dramatic chase scenes, from wistful nostalgic overtones to crescendoing scares. Yet no matter how far out Burton and Elfman take things, incredibly haunting love story kindles all other elements throughout. Expanded edition available courtesy UMG & 20th Century Fox. Production by Nick Redman, audio restoration, assembly by Mike Matessino & Neil Bulk, detailed notes by Jeff Bond, package design by Joe Sikoryak. Absolutely winning score! Danny Elfman composes, Shirley Walker conducts orchestra, adult choir, Paulist Choristers Of California. CD available as part of Intrada INT series!

01. Introduction (Titles) (2:53)

02. Storytime (2:36)

03. Castle On The Hill (6:23)

04. Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home (2:41)

05. Ballet De Suburbia (Suite) (1:17)

06. Esmeralda (0:27)

07. The Cookie Factory (2:18)

08. Etiquette Lesson (1:38)

09. Housewives/Esmeralda 2/Paper Dolls (1:23)

10. Edwardo The Barber (3:19)

11. Kim At The Mall/Talk Show (1:45)

12. Cloth World (0:50)

13. The Heist (2:52)

14. The Tide Changes/Kim Spies/Edward’s Rage (3:29)

15. Ice Dance (1:47)

16. Confrontation (1:12)

17. Edward’s Rampage (0:36)

18. Paranoia/Final Cut/Devil Bush (3:06)

19. Death! (3:32)

20. The Plot Unfolds (2:59)

21. The Final Confrontation (3:10)

22. Farewell (2:46)

23. The Grand Finale (3:24)

24. The End (4:47)

The Extras

25. Trailer (2:12)

26. Kim Spies/Kim At The Mall/Paranoia (Alternates) (2:38)

27. O Little Town Of Bethlehem/Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (2:29)

28. With These Hands (Performed by Tom Jones) (2:45)

I think this is the chrono order of the new set, does it seem right? I haven't seen the film in ages....

01 Introduction (Titles) (2:53)

02 Storytime (2:36)

03 Castle On The Hill (6:23)

04 Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home (2:41)

09A Housewives

05 Ballet De Suburbia (Suite) (1:17)

06 Esmeralda (0:27)

09B Esmeralda 2

07 The Cookie Factory (2:18)

08 Etiquette Lesson (1:38)

09C Paper Dolls

10 Edwardo The Barber (3:19)

11 Kim At The Mall/Talk Show (1:45)

12 Cloth World (0:50)

13 The Heist (2:52)

14A The Tide Changes

14C Edward’s Rage

14B Kim Spies

15 Ice Dance (1:47)

16 Confrontation (1:12)

17 Edward’s Rampage (0:36)

18C Devil Bush

18A Paranoia

18B Final Cut

19 Death! (3:32)

20 The Plot Unfolds (2:59)

21 The Final Confrontation (3:10)

22 Farewell (2:46)

23 The Grand Finale (3:24)

24 The End (4:47)

this expanded edition is in near chronological sequence (some short cues were repositioned for musical purposes)

They're still doing that? Ugh! To hell with musical purposes, what's the proper chronological sequencing? Also, this isn't complete?

Pass.

Anybody shed some light on how this release came about and why all the new music? Better elements found vs the Elfman Burton box?

We used the 3-track mixes on Fox's original first generation digital element for this and every cue we had is on the assembly. As far as I know the additional tracks on the box set came from DAT.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113000&forumID=1&archive=0

A wonderful score! I would really like to get this, but I've spent so much money already on the John Williams expansions. It will have to wait until spring... Shame, cause it has that faitytale-charisma that would play well now in christmas time. I'll have to give the OST a spin or two until then!

I'll be picking this up in the new year - or getting it from family for Christmas. I've spent too much $$$ on expansions in the past few months (Elm St, BTTF2/3, Jaws 1/2, Home Alone).

Is there anything on the box that isn't represented on this album?

Karol

Probably some of the demo material.

This release is complete. The only thing extra the Elfman/Burton boxset has over this is Danny's original demos, tacked onto the end of the disc there.

There's also some other Edward Scissorhands RELATED items on the Elfman/Burton box, but they don't come from the film's recordings.

Those things would be the music box track, and the tracks from the ballet adaptation

There's also some other Edward Scissorhands RELATED items on the Elfman/Burton box, but they don't come from the film's recordings.

Those things would be the music box track, and the tracks from the ballet adaptation

Well naturally those should not be here, they are not from the actual score after all.

And this way the box owners have at least something unique on that release. ;)

You should. It not strictly chronological!

Karol

But it is as the composer intended it!

• 4 years later...
17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Now 30 years old, this Sunday.

I've published a review/analysis, adapted from a 2004 thesis:

http://celluloidtunes.no/edward-scissorhands-danny-elfman/

Interesting. I noticed that the counter at the end of this review (and other reviews) doesn't seem to update.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Really? It does for me. I think it registers individual users, so you can't get multiple hits simply by refreshing the page.

It stayed at 0 even when I re-entered the review.

Still zero.