The BFG Teaser Trailer - Not by Williams (confirmed)

Ricard

The BFG Teaser Trailer: Music by John Williams?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in the teaser trailer for The BFG by John Williams?

• YES, it's composed and recorded by John Williams
    • It's a "trailerized"/re-arranged version of an original John Williams theme
    • Definitely NOT John Williams
    • I've no idea! :(

He's been practising writing a synth score in preparation for Ready Player One, and has fallen in love. This is clearly 100% New-Williams.

Welcome to the 21st Century!

He's been practising writing a synth score in preparation for Ready Player One

Yep. Ready Player One will be 100% synth-ish.

I can see his sixth Oscar coming.

After all, Vangelis' Chariots of Fire got the award against Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1982.

Anyways, the most important thing is that we got Liberace playing arrangements for all the nominated scores.

Johnny desperately trying to get with the times!

He seems rather pale. Is not easy to re-tool, especially when you don't really have the time to do so.

Liberace should score Ready Player One!

Williams should stick to Star Wars.

Too bad Liberace is dead. We could get a Ready Player One score full of tinkling striking piano notes, massive ornament and up and down arpeggios.

I can sort of understand the confusion with the second Star Wars teaser and that TV spot. However, this sounds absolutely nothing like Williams. I mean, maybe if he composed it, handed it to someone else and said, "Make this sound as completely unlike my work as you possibly can!"

I'm going to refrain from posting the abbreviation I just came up with in my head.

Big Fucking Gash?

Funnily enough, yep, that was exactly it. Wonder if BB was thinking the same.

Heh, it's a bit mean really. I think Adele is quite attractive these days.

I've always thought she was cute, but she was looking really nice on Fallon a few weeks ago. She's lost quite a bit of weight.

Vote and discuss!

My thoughts:

- Some here have called the melody that is repeated throughout the teaser "generic." Perhaps, but I still think it could plausibly be a Williams theme. However...

- The orchestrations, at least for the most part, sound nothing like Williams. Modern trailer music house stuff has a certain style (some would call it "epic") and there are several spots where you can clearly hear this style. The maestro just does not write this way. So this is certainly not Williams music un-tampered with.

- In summary, the teaser's music is definitely not composed and recorded by Williams without significant changes, but it could, I suppose, be composed by a trailer music house based off of a Williams theme. I personally think Williams had no involvement whatsoever in this teaser music -- I was hoping that we would get something similar to Hook or Harry Potter, but unfortunately Disney seems to have gone a different direction.

- Several years ago we had an interesting situation where Williams had already recorded a lot of music for Tintin (back in February 2010) and yet the music heard in the Tintin teaser (released in May 2011) did not have any involvement from Williams. But when a new trailer was released in July 2011 it included a short snippet of Williams' score, and future trailers included even more. Spielberg's film's final trailers tend to feature Williams music (if the scoring sessions have already taken place) and hopefully the same will be true for The BFG. Until then, though -- if the BFG teaser did indeed not have Williams music -- it looks like we'll be waiting at least a few more months to hear the premiere of Williams' score. That moment can't come soon enough. Although we will have TFA to keep us occupied for a while :) .