TOTAL RECALL by Jerry Goldsmith - new 2CD Complete from Quartet Records

Jay

11030093_959372594149742_835616789032488

QUARTET CELEBRATES TOTAL RECALL AT 25

Iconic Score from Iconic Composer Now with Material Never Heard Before

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the landmark science fiction blockbuster Total Recall, Quartet Records and Studio Canal present Academy Award-winner Jerry Goldsmith’s thrilling score on an all-new 2-CD special edition. Directed by Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Basic Instinct) and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone, Total Recall helped change the future of cinematic imagery, while Goldsmith’s score marked a culmination of styles and techniques the composer had developed over four decades of composing for film and television.

Total Recall represents one of the iconic composer’s last masterpieces, recorded with the National Philharmonic Orchestra of London, under his own baton. With this edition, Quartet has expanded upon all of the previous releases of the score, allowing fans of the film and of great music to experience the intrigue, the action, and the exotic world of Total Recall like never before. For the first time, the score as written for the film can now be heard—and with the actual film performances. Cues such as “The Dream” and “The Implant” feature previously unreleased takes, while “Where Am I?” and the “End Credits” make their debut. Exciting bonus tracks include a variety of source cues and an alternate performance of “Clever Girl” from the films original German recording sessions!

Disc One contains the film score, while Disc Two features the original 1990 soundtrack album, alternates, and source music. All of this material—nearly 2 ½ hours in total—has been entirely remixed and remastered from the original digital multi-track tapes by Goldsmith’s longtime scoring mixer, Bruce Botnick. Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Botnick, this new edition includes authoritative liner notes from film music writer Jeff Bond, featuring new interviews with director Paul Verhoeven, music editor Ken Hall, composer Bruno Louchouarn, and Botnick—all presented in a lavishly designed 24-page full-color booklet. With every beat, every cue, and everything you could want to know about the making of this iconic score, it’s more than the definitive release--it’s the release of your dreams.

DISC ONE

THE FILM SCORE

01. The Dream (3:38)

02. First Meeting (1:11)

03. Secret Agent (0:54)

04. The Implant (2:44)

05. Where Am I? (1:07)

06. The Aftermath (0:33)

07. Old Times Sake (3:03)

08. Clever Girl (4:34)

09. The Johnny Cab (3:50)

10. Howdy Stranger / The Nose Job (3:54)

11. The Spaceport (0:50)

12. A New Face (1:30)

13. The Mountain (1:31)

14. Identification (1:02)

15. Lies (1:04)

16. Where Am I? (4:00)

17. Swallow It (3:06)

18. The Big Jump (4:35)

19. Without Air (1:17)

20. Remembering (1:48)

21. The Mutant (3:16)

22. The Massacre (2:37)

23. Friends? (1:39)

24. The Treatment (5:40)

25. The Reactor / The Hologram (5:39)

26. End of a Dream (5:49)

27. A New Life (2:25)

28. End Credits (3:49)

Total Disc Time: 77:21

DISC TWO

ORIGINAL 1990 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

01. The Dream (3:34)

02. The Hologram (5:38)

03. The Big Jump (4:36)

04. The Mutant (3:18)

05. Clever Girl (4:34)

06. First Meeting (1:12)

07. The Treatment (5:33)

08. Where Am I? (3:58)

09. End of a Dream (5:49)

10. A New Life (2:26)

ALTERNATE TAKES

11. The Implant (alternate opening) (2:43)

12. Clever Girl (original performance) (4:28)

SOURCE CUES ON MARS

13. Divertimento in D* (0:53)

14. Rubble City** (3:19)

15. Mutant Dancing** (4:36)

16. Running Out of Air** (3:02)

ADDITIONAL SOURCE CUES

17. Rekall Commercial (0:52)

18. Environmental Source (1:09)

19. ESPN (1:13)

20. Saturn (0:31)

21. Mars (1:11)

22. Rekall (Background) (0:47)

23. Botco (0:10)

24. North West (0:35)

25. Rekall Commercial (Alternate) (0:51)

Total Disc Time: 67:15

Total Album Time: 144:36

*Composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

**Composed by Bruno Louchouarn

Limited Collector's Edition of 3000 units.

http://www.quartetrecords.com/total-recall.html

MV already posted that Silva has exclusive rights to Supergirl, I dunno why people kept thinking it would be released by Quartet.

We knew Total Recall was coming. But it comes as a surprise it's not Varese.

I haven't got a single edition of this score. So it's an instant buy for me too. :)

Karol

Well I had to buy this since I don't own any version of the score yet. You are bleeding me dry specialty labels!

Oh and this is very cool! :)

Thankfully, there won't be a Varese batch this month.

Karol

We should be thankful for small mercies.

I'm glad that I never bought the DE.

Karol

Neither did I. Something always held me back. Now I know what.

Pre-ordered! So awesome! It feels sweet when one of my predictions on FSM comes true :yes: At first, my fear was that any expansion would drop the Bruno Louchouarn source music, but I'm so glad that Quartet included his cues alongside Goldsmith, and in great quality!

Can't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep!

Good for those who need it. But I've never warmed to this score. I'm content with the DE.

Depends on the sound quality. Quartet has been better in that feature than any other label lately.

I'd crown it Label of the Year.

Mr. Neil S. Bulk (who?) comments on the German sessions on Facebook:

In 2013, when working with Bruce Botnick on "Dennis the Menace" I said to him I'd love to hear the German sessions for "Total Recall". He told me I wouldn't, that things didn't go well and the only thing used from Germany was the main title. My jaw dropped at that moment.

Well it turns out two cues in the movie were from these early sessions. "The Dream" and "The Aftermath". This reel is the only surviving tape from the German sessions. It also had over 20 complete or partial takes of "Clever Girl" which I re-assembled to make one performance for the new release from Quartet Records.

11713219_10152834678102260_479331152_o.j

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152834726602260&set=a.53422987259.78029.701952259&type=3&comment_id=10153097679022260&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R1"}

He also confirms that the first "Where Am I?" is an unused cue that was not included on the Varese DE and premieres here.

I know it's gonna sell out, but I quite like the Varese and I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy this right now, not right after Jaws, Jaws 2 (which I bundled with the Tadlow Sodom & Gomorrah), Dances With Wolves, Braveheart, Home Alone and the Pagemaster. That's nearly the number of new expansions I used to buy in a year and I didn't even bother with BTTF 2-3.

Oop, by listening to the sample of "The Implant" on Quartet's page, I just discovered that the cue as presented on Disc 1 has a pause at around the 1:00 mark. Don't know if that means the cue was micro-edited on Varese's DE, or that this is a completely different take; either way, this gets me more excited and desperate for answers!

The Varése Deluxe already is overlong and the sound great. Bottlecap.

But what a bottlecap! For those who do not own this score I'd say it is a pretty good set to start with.

Why? The Varése is readily available and you don't need to wade through 2 discs with lots of repetition to enjoy it.

Best of both worlds. Complete score to satisfy my collectoritis and OST for a more concise listening experience. I don't really care for the source music.

The Varése Deluxe already united both worlds in 2001. You and your brethren need just a good therapeutic to come off this unhealthy habit of rebuying shit just..because.

I know you mean well toward us mentally afflicted but you need to come off your habit of doing curmudgeonly commentary on nearly every new expanded release just...because.

And the last I looked it was our money to spend as we please.

Well, I haven't got any album so this is a no-brainer for me. And I'm sure Bulk/Botnick duo did good job on the assembly, probably surpassing the DE album.

And it also has the short pre-DE programme as well, if disc 1 proves to be too much. So no hesitation there.

Karol

The Varése Deluxe already united both worlds in 2001. You and your brethren need just a good therapeutic to come off this unhealthy habit of rebuying shit just..because.

I know you mean well toward us mentally afflicted but you need to come off your habit of doing curmudgeonly commentary on nearly every new expanded release just...because.

And the last I looked it was our money to spend as we please.

Stop talking rubbish, apart from this and your precious fiftieth HOME ALONE redux i hardly commented on any of the numerous releases where i could have. Uncool bro.

Actually I agree with Inky. You come off with a lot of hostility in a lot of your posts and I don't know why. JWFan shouldn't be your place to blow off steam, it should be a place to share in our mutual love of film scores and films and etc.

You don't need to talk people into or out of their purchases, especially if your opinion wasn't solicited. As Inky says people are free to do with their own money as they wish.

Actually I agree with Inky.

Big surprise there.

And please, if it is your turn now to lecture people on when their opinion is 'desirable', excuse me, 'solicited' then i this board has bigger issues to worry about than my very-occasional snide remarks. Dear lord... :shakehead:

Big surprise there.

And please, if it is your turn now to lecture people on when their opinion is 'desirable', excuse me, 'solicited' then i this board has bigger issues to worry about than my very-occasional snide remarks. Dear lord... :shakehead:

The name is James, actually. But I do enjoy the 'dear' part. Why ARE you snide? Is it difficult to be pleasant? These little lashings aren't worth the effort. Now come, let me get you something.

Big surprise there.

The name is James, actually. But I do enjoy the 'dear' part. Why ARE you snide? Is it difficult to be pleasant? These little lashings aren't worth the effort. Now come, let me get you something.

I don't know you nor do i remember interacting with you. But for the record: please line up all my posts of the last 6 months and do a little math, i would be very much surprised to find this petty 'criticism' about this abundance of snides and lashings validated at all - what is very obvious, though, is that certain members get very touchy if ANY criticism, snide or not, is uttered in regard to certain topics and love to blow that out of proportion.

Which is very FSM-worthy. But if that instills peace at JWFan, i will never again post in any thread regarding expanded releases that contradicts majority opinion on the subject.