The Force Awakens cast discuss (UPDATE: And Sing!) Williams' score

Romão

Tell me BB, should we all go into mourning already? Has the strength of JWFan failed?

No, but we have to prepare ourselves for all that unreleased music!

Do you think because it's being acknowledged how much unreleased music their is, that they are already planning an expanded or complete edition?

Based on the tracklist the obvious ones would seem to be Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance, and then possibly Snoke and Scherzo for X-Wings? And hopefully Han and Leia is a film cue and not just a new recording of their theme.

Also I love Boyega's tease. Can't wait for that, something to look forward to right at the beginning :D I love all three of their reactions.

No, but we have to prepare ourselves for all that unreleased music!

Do you think because it's being acknowledged how much unreleased music their is, that they are already planning an expanded or complete edition?

Well, there's this talk about the 30 minutes of music that went unused and that will supposedly get released. If they don't appear on the OST, then it probably means they're planning to release something else as well.

Everything! They must release every note!

Based on the tracklist the obvious ones would seem to be Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance, and then possibly Snoke and Scherzo for X-Wings? And hopefully Han and Leia is a film cue and not just a new recording of their theme.

Also I love Boyega's tease. Can't wait for that, something to look forward to right at the beginning :D I love all three of their reactions.

Has that tracklist been confirmed though?

Yeah, and I think this year in particular is significant with not just Star Wars (the only time where the music is more of a star than most of the actors), but also Morricone going Tarantino, and of course Horner....big moments. People are talking about it more. Next year it'll probably be back to the same old with some good scores, some bad scores, a lot of eh scores, old composers, new composers, and nobody really cares.

The film score community will go nuts when none of the scores of the big three are nominated.

I question if they'll let Morricone be eligible with the fact that Tarantino's using music from The Thing and Exorcist II, but it would be cool, especially if it's actually great. I'm not really sure Horner will, as much as I do like The 33. It's as good as anything else they usually nominate, anyway, plus sentimental voting.

I think Williams is pretty likely especially with it apparently being mostly new material. The movie will explode right as they start voting, people are genuinely excited about Star Wars this time and they love Williams anyway, and everyone's gonna be high on the music. And he has nothing else this year.

I don't think it's actually out of the question yet for him to win....I mean, probably not but it kind of would make sense. They're more open to big lavish CG productions lately, plus there are things like it seems possibly the most "epic" and emotional, Christmas release instead of summer so it's fresher in people's minds, the unique recording schedule and the fact that he worked on it all year will probably get some press, plus the lifetime achievement thing. Seems like people have John Williams on the brain more than usual.

The film score community will go nuts when none of the scores of the big three are nominated.

I question if they'll let Morricone be eligible with the fact that Tarantino's using music from The Thing and Exorcist II, but it would be cool, especially if it's actually great. I'm not really sure Horner will, as much as I do like The 33. It's as good as anything else they usually nominate, anyway, plus sentimental voting.

I think Williams is pretty likely especially with it apparently being mostly new material. The movie will explode right as they start voting, people are genuinely excited about Star Wars this time and they love Williams anyway, and everyone's gonna be high on the music. And he has nothing else this year.

I don't think it's actually out of the question yet for him to win....I mean, probably not but it kind of would make sense. They're more open to big lavish CG productions lately, plus there are things like it seems possibly the most "epic" and emotional, Christmas release instead of summer so it's fresher in people's minds, the unique recording schedule and the fact that he worked on it all year will probably get some press, plus the lifetime achievement thing. Seems like people have John Williams on the brain more than usual.

Didn't a voter say he/she thought Williams had too many wins and therefore didn't vote for The Book Thief (I think, or maybe it was an earlier score)? I wonder how voters vote based on how many Oscars the nominee has won previously.

I've not heard such buzz for film scores in interviews for a while, could this set a trend or perhaps just a rare occasion for another William's Star Wars score?

Only because this is Star Wars. You won't be seeing the same buzz anytime soon for Desplat's score, for other Williams scores (unless maybe he scores the next SW film) or film music in general.

Agreed. But even with prequels, the AOTC score got extensive media coverage too. Not as big as TPM sure, but more than the average score.

This is a one-time event, for both score and film. The next couple of SW films will not be getting this much attention. Soon SW will fall in line with the million other MCU flicks as your typical summer blockbuster.

I don't actually know. Don't remember what it was like then!

But how many film scores get CNN featurettes of the sessions?

I would assume that Daisy got emotional about hearing her theme performed. Imagine Williams writing a theme for you. Must be overwhelming.

I doubt she was really overwhelmed. She must have been like: "Oh, that's cool!", then listened to Adele's latest album on her iPod. For people not into film music like us, I doubt it's really a big deal.

Yes. Before we all get carried away here with the idea that others can get just as excited as us about film music, we should remember they're also trying to sell the film in every way possible.