The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Is there any live links for the old spoiler-filled breakdown of the whole movie that leaked this summer?

I wonder how accurate it is to the final cut of the film

Yeah, I went looking for some of that stuff afterward and this was a synopsis from last May that compiled all the leaks that had been coming out: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

It's all there. The biggest difference was that the lightsaber was the McGuffin and apparently people were convinced that the movie began with it floating around in space, then lands on Jakku and Von Sydow/Poe put it in BB8. And the vision was something Maz gave the group, not something Rey sees herself. And looks like some codenames are still in there (Snoke is called "Uber") and filler scenes that are just speculation.

But if you wanted to know pretty much what this movie was more than 6 months ago, there it was.

So they were basically right that BB8 was carrying something important and assumed it was Luke's lightsaber

So the one silent moment in the film is a big mistake to you, Koray? I wish there were more moments like this. You know, moments that don't need dialogue. Luke immediately demonstrating his force abilities on a young approaching girl would be so uncool and awkward. At least now we have the feeling that the wise Jedi Master, the legendary Luke Skywalker, is actually expecting this visit.

I just said that I didn't want dialogue.

Looks like they speculated Rey was Ren's sister back then

There's a bunch of other stuff too, like The Resistance having a superweapon of their own that could take down Star Destroyers

Did Maz survive the attack? I'm assuming she did, but I don't remember seeing her after she told Finn could use the lightsaber as a weapon. I'm also assuming Kylo, Hux and Phasma escaped Starkiller before it blew.

Too bad the flashback was so jumbled it was hard to get a sense of everything that was in it. Would love to see a longer version

Yes, I assume Maz, Hux, Ren, and Phasma all survived the film

Really only Han and Von Sydow died

With Lor, it was kinda vague. Kylo says something about showing him the power of the dark side and then he replies something like, "You may try." Maybe I'm just assuming too much, but it didn't seem to be a coincidence that this guy knew who everyone was and had the map to Luke, looked like Ben Kenobi and was on the same planet as Luke's daughter. My prediction from the start was that he was a Jedi character. But I'm probably overthinking this stuff.

But see, that's what this movie constantly does, as derivative as it is. It makes your brain work and you fuckin' think about shit. Why couldn't Abrams' Star Trek movies have been like that?

With Lor, it was kinda vague. Kylo says something about showing him the power of the dark side and then he replies something like, "You may try." Maybe I'm just assuming too much, but it didn't seem to be a coincidence that this guy knew who everyone was and had the map to Luke, looked like Ben Kenobi and was on the same planet as Luke's daughter. My prediction from the start was that he was a Jedi character. But I'm probably overthinking this stuff.

But see, that's what this movie constantly does, as derivative as it is. It makes your brain work and you fuckin' think about shit. Why couldn't Abrams' Star Trek movies have been like that?

He's a priest in the church of the Force. So he believes in the Force but not actually Force sensitive.

I didn't like the final shot either. First of all, was Luke just standing on that cliff during the events of the whole movie? Seemed too convenient that he was just waiting there, doing nothing.

I had the impression the way he was facing that he saw her arrive and watched her climb the steps.

Does Koray really think Luke was supposed to have literally been standing there the whole time, like, "during the events of the whole movie"? Come on, please tell me he worded that wrong.

Well, Luke no doubt saw and heard the Falcon when it arrived. He was waiting for whomever to come to him. He may have been expecting Leia, Han or some other familiar face, but got Rey instead.

Yeah, good or bad, it leaves things to discuss. They didn't answer everything onscreen, so people aren't just left saying "Well, that fucking sucked and I have nothing left to say" nor leave things so open-ended that nothing ties together or makes any sense. There's nothing flat-out confusing here but it makes you go back-and-forth wondering about the plot and the next step. They did a pretty good job in that sense.

Does Koray really think Luke was supposed to have literally been standing there the whole time, like, "during the events of the whole movie"? Come on, please tell me he worded that wrong.

The Force told him. That look on his face. He was mourning his friend Han's death! Surely he feels responsible?

Hamill, Isaac, Christie and Boyega have been confirmed to return. I imagine Driver, Gleeson and even Fisher will return as well. Even though Han is gone, Leia's involvement doesn't seem to over, yet. It seems like Ren will continue his training and Rey will begin her training. And the ultimate goal will be to bring Ren back to the light side and take down Snoke and the First Order?

I'm really interested to see how much Han's death is addressed in VIII. Surely they can't completely gloss it over. People need to hear Luke and Leia speak about it, separately or together.

Are there any shots in the old trailers that didn't make the final cut of the film?

Yeah, quite a few actually.

In the first teaser: 00:39-00:40, 00:49

In the second teaser: 00:52, 01:07 (I think), 01:21

In the trailer: 01:29, 01:43 (I think)

Plus there were a few more shots that appeared in TV spots that I noticed were missing in the film.

You're right about 1:07 and 1:43. And 00:30 in the first teaser, I think. Also, I don't recall hearing "Who are you?" and "I'm no-one" from the trailer.

Of course he wasn't literally standing there, but did they not see him walking around as a hologram when they pieced together the map? I find it unlikely that he's oblivious to the events of the film and just hung out on an island.

I'm really interested to see how much Han's death is addressed in VIII. Surely they can't completely gloss it over. People need to hear Luke and Leia speak about it, separately or together.

I'm a little surprised they didn't have a memorial service of some sort for him. They didn't announce that he had died but it was obvious they knew. I felt bad for Chewie. But really, who didn't see Han's death coming? I mean, Ren and Han were on a long bridge with no railings. Someone was going to die.

He was in hiding for reasons unknown. Everyone was looking for him, for reasons unknown.

I thought Han said he left after Ren turned bad? Because of guilt perhaps? Sounds unlike Luke, though.

It's not important. I'm just a little surprised since he was considered a war hero. I'm glad they didn't make a big deal about his death. Leia "feeling" his death and Chewie's reaction was enough.

Was it ever explained how Poe survived the crash with Finn and how he got back to the Resistance? I'm assuming he was ejected from Tie Fighter (like Finn). Although, I don't how his jacket stayed behind unless if he wasn't wearing it when he was ejected.

I might have lost something in this long discussion, however, may I ask to recap why most people consider Rey being Luke's daughter much more likely than her being Han and Leia's daughter? I am still more in favour of this second option. The fact that she is related to the Skywalkers is basically clear because Luke gives it away in the trailer.