The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

That theory was brought up in the early pages of this thread - that since we only see Snoke in hologram, it might not be what he really looks like.  IE, he could be some tiny little dude, casting this 'gram of a huge hulking thing.  Or, some people theorized it could actually be a trick made by Hux, in order to keep Ren in line.  But then people remembered in the end of the movie, Snoke orders Hux to bring Ren to him to complete his training when Ren isn't present

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

The CGI for the guy giving Rey her portions was very distracting in that part of the movie. He looked the most human of all the CGI characters so he should have been a real actor in prosthetics.

That was apparently Simon Pegg in a suit.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

That theory was brought up in the early pages of this thread - that since we only see Snoke in hologram, it might not be what he really looks like.  IE, he could be some tiny little dude, casting this 'gram of a huge hulking thing.  Or, some people theorized it could actually be a trick made by Hux, in order to keep Ren in line.  But then people remembered in the end of the movie, Snoke orders Hux to bring Ren to him to complete his training when Ren isn't present

I doubt that's Snoke's real size. It's just probably just a massive projection, just like Sidious' head was projected to larger sizes in the OT.

16 minutes ago, KK. said:

That was apparently Simon Pegg in a suit.

It was; I posted the image earlier in the thread.  I thought Stefan commented on it!

I thought Maz was one of the best CGI applications I've ever seen - and she was funny too! ("I like the Wookiee," etc)

Snoke looked like an early Harry Potter villain or something - a little cartoony in the face.  Most likely because the face is so virtually human, and thus harder to pull off.

Maz's CGI and performance were great!! Loved everything about that character.

Snoke looked bad.  Like it was low resolution in a high def movie.

That's actually already been speculated here before :P 

I think JJ Abrams has come out and said that Snoke is NOT a Sith.

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's actually already been speculated here before :P 

I think JJ Abrams has come out and said that Snoke is NOT a Sith.

He also said Cumberbatch wasn't Kahn.

1 hour ago, MikeTroxell said:

and she was funny too! ("I like the Wookiee," etc)

Nobody in the room laughed. 

Me and the kid laughed a bit with Finn but we were the only ones to do so.

Sounds like a sad room.  My audience was sold out, but pretty restrained (didn't cheer for the crawl at the beginning or character intros), but they laughed at all of the jokey points (Rey talking about the ship "over there" being garbage and turning out to be the MF, Maz Kanata's interactions, the stormtroopers inching away from Kylo's room, etc).

I find it surprising that there are people who think Maz's CGI was well done. It took my out of the movie completely. It was almost prequel level kind of bad. I think it was JJ's nod to the prequels...

It was a sad room but they are right not to laugh with "I like the Wookiee". It's Crystal Skull humor.

In our country we don't cheer with opening crawlers.

7 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

I find it surprising that there are people who think Maz's CGI was well done. It took my out of the movie completely. It was almost prequel level kind of bad. I think it was JJ's nod to the prequels...

I find it surprising that there are people who think her CGI was NOT well done!  

I honestly thought it was perfect CGI!  Totally realistic, perfectly rendered, she felt like she was really there.  Don't understand how you could possibly think the opposite!

Now Snoke, that's bad CGI!

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

I don't get why people dislike Finn. I wanted to like Rey more than I did, but she felt sorta flat after the marvelous first act.

The guy never shuts up and I'm constantly cringing when he does anything. Ultimately, his character served no purpose. It should have been either him or Poe, and the choice is clear. Finn seemed to be there to appeal to the urban market, complete with such cringe-inducing lines as "Droid please!" and "Now who's in charge?"

I will say that after the rewatch, perhaps the best scene in the entire film is Han talking to that Irish dude in the Nostromo. Ford is straight out the early 80s here.

"What's the problem?"

I was like, "Whoa, he said that? Like that? He can still talk like that??"

Of course, it all goes to hell when they bring in that awful CGI creature and have Binks being dragged around.

50 minutes ago, MikeTroxell said:

Sounds like a sad room.  My audience was sold out, but pretty restrained (didn't cheer for the crawl at the beginning or character intros), but they laughed at all of the jokey points (Rey talking about the ship "over there" being garbage and turning out to be the MF, Maz Kanata's interactions, the stormtroopers inching away from Kylo's room, etc).

My room was pretty hyped. People were seated an hour early, a lot of people were playing the SW main titles out loud from their phones, and people cheered when the crawler came up, which usually doesn't happen around here. Granted it was the opening showing, so people were understandably excited.