The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

8 hours ago, Woj said:

When they showed the Falcon, the whole audience in my theater gasped at once, and my "Oh my God in Heaven" wasn't that loud. 

When the lights shone on Rey and a fallen Finn, I first assumed that Luke was rescuing them; my "no fucking way" was much louder. 

To the ten year old boy whose first Star Wars experience was tarnished by a man swearing behind him, I'm truly sorry, wherever you are. 

He'll join the board 15 years from now when we're all completely senile and he's going through trauma therapy.  We'll all sink down together.

8 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I'm probably alone in my opinion, but I cared fuckall about most of the new characters and once the old guys were introduced, I wished the movie had been about them.

The new characters made the movie for me.

I still say after a second viewing that the best scene of the movie for me was Han trying to negotiate with those guys. Everything before the CGI monstrosity. It was truly shocking to see Ford being the character again. Like, for real, not just in the suit and running around with Chewie like it's a variety show skit (which is how it felt for the first minute or so) or some Crystal Skull "Well, the way you're sinking your teeth into those wubble-u's" bullshit. It was him. His voice, his mannerisms, it was perfect.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Are we 100% sure that second stabby theme belongs to Kylo Ren specifically?

Not sure Williams clears it up either in his LA Times interview.

"There’s a more ruminative part that is usually done softly. I don’t think it portrays any particular weakness, but possibly hesitancy. But then there’s the motif that’s often strong, that seems to be the embodiment of evil. I thought that it should be a relative of Darth Vader, but also something entirely different in terms of melody."

2 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I still say after a second viewing that the best scene of the movie for me was Han trying to negotiate with those guys. Everything before the CGI monstrosity. It was truly shocking to see Ford being the character again. Like, for real, not just in the suit and running around with Chewie like it's a variety show skit (which is how it felt for the first minute or so) or some Crystal Skull "Well, the way you're sinking your teeth into those wubble-u's" bullshit. It was him. His voice, his mannerisms, it was perfect.

That alone makes the Rathtars stuff worth it for me. It's clearly superfluous on a plot level, but I think they just wanted to indulge in the chance to see Han Solo in his element one last time and thankfully they pulled it off. The action is really only included out of obligation, but perfectly tolerable to sit through since they don't attempt to make it more drawn out than it needs to be. It's a decent enough sequence, one of a handful of things preventing the movie from rising above "really good" but I think a fair trade just to get that Han stuff, we get some good "scared shitless" acting out of Daisy, and Chewie getting shot just as soon as he's introduced plants the idea that the old favorites aren't safe.

There were a couple of times Ford did a couple of facial expressions that I thought he had forgotten to do that were prominent in his earlier venture as Han. That to me, while trivial, was one of the coolest things to see that I had not expected to. 

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Only real disappointment was Williams' a bit bland villain scoring. 

Yup, probably the weakest part of the score for me as well.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

"There’s a more ruminative part that is usually done softly. I don’t think it portrays any particular weakness, but possibly hesitancy. But then there’s the motif that’s often strong, that seems to be the embodiment of evil. I thought that it should be a relative of Darth Vader, but also something entirely different in terms of melody."

Mmmh. Sounded more like a musical red flag, like the short Death Star motif from E4 without a good hook. But i really can't recall the last time one of these kiddie blockbusters actually had a great, characteristic theme for its villain (leaving abstract/textural stuff like TDK aside).

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Saw it (thankfully in 2D) and was pleased as punch with the first half. The less said about the third act the better. Abrams gave the franchise the much needed million $ handjob, and one thing they did was to make it lighthearted which in lesser hands could have backfired.

Only real disappointment was Williams' a bit bland villain scoring. 

I thought that about his motif at first as well, but trust me it's a grower. But yeah, I'd have still preferred a fully fledged theme and concert arrangement. There's always the sequel... 

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Saw it (thankfully in 2D) and was pleased as punch with the first half. The less said about the third act the better.

I really wonder if you can critique the third act without critiquing the rest of the movie.

Alex

There's nothing wrong with short melodic hooks for the villain. This one just isn't very interesting. Though there is some variation throughout the score, you still come out of it finding it rather musically static.

For me it's been a "grower".

Ren's secondary theme is musically more interesting though.

3 hours ago, KK. said:

Yup, probably the weakest part of the score for me as well.

I think that may be part of your preference, or biased towards complexity in music over simple effectiveness.

This is after all still film music. Each theme and motivic idea must serve a purpose in the film. And sometimes having a complex and layered theme isnt the best way to serve that purpose.

John Williams composed a fairly obvious villain theme for Ren because that's probably what he (and JJ) thought worked best on the screen (much like the theme for Voldemort is a rather simple thematic idea).

Same for Finn's theme. Instead of a lush, complex theme that accurately depicts the characters nobility Williams composed a rhythmic action motif for him. Probably because some of the ideas of heroism and nobility were already expressed enough in other themes (Rey's Theme, Poeo's Theme, The Resistance Marc etc) and he needed a different musical device.

If anything Williams' mind-boggling musical complexity in latter years has caused some of his works to feel overcrowded. TFA also has that complexity, but not in every single musical idea, and for me that helps.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I find it surprising that there are people who think her CGI was NOT well done!  

I honestly thought it was perfect CGI!  Totally realistic, perfectly rendered, she felt like she was really there.  Don't understand how you could possibly think the opposite!

Now Snoke, that's bad CGI!

The scene started with a whole bunch of non-CG practical creatures, and when the shot cut to Maz... it was so obvious she did not belong there. It was jarring. 

16 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

Rey beating an injured and emotionally wrecked Kylo is completely uncontroversial.  Maybe Alexcremers, has spent too much time analyzing movies from his chair and forgotten how the real world works? 

There are cases all throughout the world of incredibly competent people being defeated by the most pathetic of things. Shoot, in Vietnam, there were cases of incredibly talented, highly competent soldiers, with incredible skills, getting some bad news from home, getting distracted and then getting their heads lopped off by helicopter blades because they forgot to duck while boarding a Huey. 

Killed by forgetting to duck your head, because you were distracted by some emotional news. 

Just the same, there are  people who can ramp up on skills in a few days that would take most people a few years. The world isn't some equitable linear system where some formula says "every hour of training = 1 level up in skill" for everyone. 

I think most of know Ren was defeated at least partially due to his injury. No one is contending that. It's simple logic. But what I say is that what's logical does not necessarily translate into something cinematically good. This isn't your Apple device. Logic has no bearing on whether a movie, a scene is good or not. You're just honing in on one small piece of the overarching problem raised and proclaiming it as nitpicking.

The movie begins with a a sequence that illustrates how evil and strong Kylo is. It's obvious at this point they're going for a Vader vibe. They sustain this for half a film, and then it crumbles in the scene where he first takes off his mask. I don't know about you, but that scene with Kylo and Ren together in the interrogation room... it began well enough. The moment he takes off the mask, all form of evil, intimidation, aura, etc Kylo had just vanished instantly. I get that the filmmakers at this point wanted to show a vulnerable villain, but due to a mixture of bad casting, acting, and writing, it just doesn't work. Unmasked Kylo is astonishingly uncharismatic, he has no pull over me whatsoever. And at this moment the film reveals to the audience that its main villain is going to be a wimpy and whiny kid... a far cry from the opening scene. Expectations were set, met for a while, and subsequently destroyed. And with no other villain to fall back on (even the prequels which had Darth Maul, Dooku, Palpatine) the movie really suffers. 

For Rey, the issue isn't whether he is able to "ramp" up her skills in that short an amount of time. Rather it's how the movie presents it to make it relatable and therefore believable to the audience. Some of you are fine with it; others are not. 

I wonder if Rey was able to draw knowledge or skills from Kylo when he tried to read her mind, but she completely denied him. In fact, her blossoming mind defense Force abilities allowed her to realize his insecurity regarding Darth Vader, something that wouldn't be common knowledge or have come up in conversation... Unless she pulled it from his mind or unlocked a hidden place in her own mind. If she is in fact a Skywalker or at least a brainwashed surviving Padawan, sent to Jakku for safety, then her abilities make perfect sense. 

Not sure why som many people seem to think that Rey must have had prior training by Luke becuase there isnt a single line in the film that suggests it, and many to suggest the opposite.

Rey clearly states that she thinks The Force and Luke Skywalker were all just myths. She only knows Han Solo as a famous smuggler, not a general.

In dialogue with Snoke Ren clearly sates that the girl is very powerful but untrained.

This is neat:

The 11 Biggest Differences Between the Book and Movie Versions of The Force Awakens

I'd have to think some of that was filmed, especially the ground-assault part of the film's climax.

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they decide to put out a 2 1/2 hour extended cut on home video.  Since JJ isn't direcing Episode 8 or 9 or a spinoff, what else does he have to do with his time? :)

This question may have already been addrressed but I have not seen it. Did they lay in the music from burning homestead into the new movie or did John Williams rerecord it? I was listening to it in my special edition cd yesterday and thought it may have been updated just a tad for force awakens. But I wasn't sure. Thought you guys would know.

I didn't like that. I'll always associate the dramatic chords at the end of the Force theme with the burnt corpses of Owen and Beru and this seemed an entirely inappropriate point to conjure up those images.

41 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

It worked for me. I understand the association but it worked for me. I couldn't help getting chills on my second viewing. 

Did you like the film better after your second viewing?

I've seen it 3 times and I was surprised how the 3rd was the most emotionally powerful for me. Not for Han's death, which is sad yes but I was shaking with absolute childish joy when Poe took out all the TIE-Fighters and Storm Troopers, and I really almost welled up seeing Rey catch the lightsaber. It was strange considering it was my third time, but it just hit me heavily. Weird. Maybe when I see it a 4th time, I'll be rolling around on the floor, crying and screaming, and the 5th time I'll just spontaneously combust.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

I've seen it 3 times and I was surprised how the 3rd was the most emotionally powerful for me. Not for Han's death, which is sad yes but I was shaking with absolute childish joy when Poe took out all the TIE-Fighters and Storm Troopers, and I really almost welled up seeing Rey catch the lightsaber. It was strange considering it was my third time, but it just hit me heavily. Weird. Maybe when I see it a 4th time, I'll be rolling around on the floor, crying and screaming, and the 5th time I'll just spontaneously combust.

Interesting...why do you think it hit you so hard, you emotional wreck?

25 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

A LOT better. I think the audience ruined my first experience. I missed  a lot of important dialogue

Interesting...did any of it still fail to make an impact?  Any missed story telling opportunities?

Dude... 

I'll reread that when I'm more drunk. 

But as for the earthquake opening up between Ren and Rey, effectively ending their duel.... The same thing happened quite well in The Land Before Time. 

Cera was on one side of the divide... Her parents were on the other... 

The obliterated planet wasn't supposed to be Coruscant.