The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Well, I don't know what Hosnian Prime is, but it looked like Coruscant. The shot of the planet in orbit looked exactly like how Coruscant was done in the PT, then Finn interjects "It's the Republic!" as they're watching it from planet Maz (just like Spock watching the destruction of Vulcan in nuTrek), which makes me think of Coruscant.

I've since learned that the destroyed planet wasn't Coruscant (though they don't make much of an effort in the movie to make that clear). Once I got that whole thing down, I wasn't really up for an intensive round of revisions. While we're on it, though, I'm also not sure why they felt the heart of the New Republic needed to be on a different, city-covered planet. . . .

13 hours ago, Jay said:

This is neat:

The 11 Biggest Differences Between the Book and Movie Versions of The Force Awakens

I'd have to think some of that was filmed, especially the ground-assault part of the film's climax.

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they decide to put out a 2 1/2 hour extended cut on home video.  Since JJ isn't direcing Episode 8 or 9 or a spinoff, what else does he have to do with his time? :)

Interesting:

Spoiler

It is far more than that. It is where you are from. What you are made of. The Dark Side—and the Light. The finest sculptor cannot fashion a masterpiece from poor materials. He must have something pure, something strong, something unbreakable, with which to work.

That is in one of the lines from first Teaser, is this line (The Dark Side- and the Light part, obviously not the rest of it) in the film (I don't remember)?

10 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I didn't like that. I'll always associate the dramatic chords at the end of the Force theme with the burnt corpses of Owen and Beru and this seemed an entirely inappropriate point to conjure up those images.

I didn't mind at all, in fact I loved that they used it because those chords are indeed dramatic... and flexible. 

I was thinking the other day though that what would have REALLY made it work was some sudden Nazgul chorus.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I posted that days ago!

That article has been posted at least 4 times on the forum!

And you actually posted it one hour after someone else posted it! Ha!

On 20/12/2015 at 6:30 PM, Matt C said:

Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz contributed voice work for Rey's flashbacks in TFA. The producers even used a vintage recording from the late Alec Guinness too.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

On 20/12/2015 at 7:50 PM, Stefancos said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

Apparently Frank Oz and Ian McGregor reprised their roles in TFA.

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think that may be part of your preference, or biased towards complexity in music over simple effectiveness. This is after all still film music. Each theme and motivic idea must serve a purpose in the film. And sometimes having a complex and layered theme isnt the best way to serve that purpose. John Williams composed a fairly obvious villain theme for Ren because that's probably what he (and JJ) thought worked best on the screen (much like the theme for Voldemort is a rather simple thematic idea).

I don't think it's an issue of complexity vs. simplicity. Horner had his 4 notes danger theme (warts and all), it's 3 notes shorter and miles more memorable. It was on the level with the likewise tame pirate theme from TINTIN - gets the job done but isn't really something anyone would single out as especially distinctive. Where are the catchy short villain themes? 

I have decided to try to like these new films..otherwise i will ha ve a sour decade :P

I still dont understand things like Coruscant not being the Republic's capital... (i think it's a change just for the sake of it. Even a change to differenciate from the EU just for the sake of it).

One of the complaints of the prequels, (specially AOTC and ROTS) is that some things were explained in books, and casual people said that ''i shouldnt have to read books or watch tv cartoons to know the story"... and i feel that with the new movie that happens too. It's the problem with useing loved characters from the previous trilogy...

As far as film canon goes, if they dont name the republic capital, and coruscant never appears, the destroyed planet will be coruscant for everyone like me that is not going to read the new EU...

17 hours ago, publicist said:

Of course you can. You could actually watch it crumble after our heroes reach the rebel base and thereafter.

I feel similarly.

I do like the way the fight in the woods looks, with the snow and the light of the sabers, and the actors are great there, although what actually happens feels forced enough that it ruins it. I liked that the focus was on that than on blowing up the Starkiller, which was something I didn't care about.

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Of course you can. You could actually watch it crumble after our heroes reach the rebel base and thereafter.

Then why don't you give it a try. Surprise me! What is the reason for the crumbling?

Who was is that said Lucas didn't plan it out and only planned to make the first film, then when it made money he made the next and the next etc?

Well I already said how Lucas wrote the basic story for all 3 Original films, then split it into 3 acts and the first act became Star Wars (now Ep.4) But Lucas planned even the Prequel trilogy as well along with the originals. He had ideas and stories about the prequel trilogy before Empire was even released.

Just now, Drax said:

That Carrie was cute as a button?

Damn right. 

But everything ever made is made up as you go along. You can't write every word at the same time. Unless you have a thousand monkeys on typewriters.

My point is that clearly Lucas had it all planned out back in the late 70's and early 80's that he wanted 3 films and then a prequel trilogy about Vader.

From what I can tell, to embed a youtube video on the new board you have to paste in the URL, then press ENTER.  It will then auto-change into an embed right there in your reply window.

16 minutes ago, Drax said:

Yeah he might have had a general idea of what he wanted to do, but when people say "planned", as he he had the whole thing completely mapped out to the finest detail, I get skeptical.

Yeah of course. He didn't have it detailed, but he planned to do it is my point. He didn't just wake up years after jedi and think "let's make some money!" 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, I doubt Lucas had a clear idea of the whole story. Basically, he probably just had the idea of making the prequel trilogy about Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and that's it. No Jar-Jar, no podracers, no Darth Maul, nothing. Just: "OK, the first three stories are supposed to be about the young Anakin"

Most definitely.  As a script writer he probably had an idea of character backstory and certain ideas he wanted to play with, but there is no chance in hell he had a beat for beat storyline for the entire OT, let alone the prequels.

Star Wars was designed to be a stand-alone story just in case the movie bombed. When it became a smashing success, Lucas had some vague notes about what he considered thinking about maybe doing, but was probably really thinking "shit what do I do now?! Hey Alan Dean Foster, go and write a sequel novel about some force crystal or something".

33 minutes ago, Drax said:

Star Wars was designed to be a stand-alone story just in case the movie bombed. When it became a smashing success, Lucas had some vague notes about what he considered thinking about maybe doing, but was probably really thinking "shit what do I do now?! Hey Alan Dean Foster, go and write a sequel novel about some force crystal or something".

Lucas specifically says he wrote a story which became too long and he split it into 3 acts, and the first act became the first film. You see old footage of him with the full story and then using only the first third initially. You can't argue with video evidence. He had the Original Trilogy all planned. He hadn't written the entire scripts, but the story was all mapped out to a decent degree.