The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Just now, Drax said:

I thought Finn would be the hero and Rey would be his love interest.

You cant have an interracial relationship between a black man and a white woman in a mainstream American film. Especially not in these times.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You cant have an interracial relationship between a black man and a white woman in a mainstream American film. Especially not in these times.

They already are. I could tell they fancied each other. I totally ship them. Rey/Finn 4eva :wub:

I'm a bit bothered by the obvious plot armor for Finn in this movie. The most obvious example when I was expecting him to be dead and then, oh, he's in a coma or something. Also the creature with tentacles keeping him alive for longer than the others so Rey can save him. 

They're clearly not going for a love story between Rey and Finn.

A lesser film would have had:

1) Rey kiss Finn when they're on Starkiller Base. Instead Rey hugged him and thanked him.

2) Rey confess her feelings or kiss him on the lips at the end when he's lying in a coma. Instead she kisses him on the forehead and says "Thank you, my friend."

To undo all of the female lead becoming a powerful, (unknown at this point) mysterious identity etc and just have a romance focus, will be idiotic and will get a lot of negative reaction.

I think Rey is clearly set up as a Luke character who has no romance at all in his trilogy.

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

2) Rey confess her feelings or kiss him on the lips at the end when he's lying in a coma. Instead she kisses him on the forehead and says "Thank you, my friend."

So the poor bugger got friendzoned?

I was hoping for a Finn/Rey/Ren love triangle.

Now we call Rey having her first friend "friendzoning"? Now that is a brutal attitude to have towards the character. I think they appreciate each other and forcing a "either friend or something else" mold onto the relationship ruins it. I like how they wrote that

The funny thing of repeating the trio-with-a-woman structure is that if now she's the Luke character, then... Of course if you want to play Quint and avoid that they could have made Finn or Poe a woman. Though that would have created another obvious homoerotic situation.

I hope they don't do a love triangle, I hate that these days. My mind starts shouting "well, don't choose" and the drama becomes silly and obtrusive. 

I think a Rey/Finn romance could be handled in a way that didn't invalidate her position as a strong, independent young woman. She would just need to continue being strong and independent. The relationship would not define her, and there'd still be that "stop taking my hand!" attitude.

But the great thing about TFA is that it could go either way. It doesn't limit the options for the films to come.

Finally got to see the film today and having avoided this thread like the plague, I'll leap in here to offer my breadcrumbs. Goes without saying this was better than the prequels. Though I quite liked it, it's not quite the best film by any means. Firstly, the soundtrack was impressive -as with Episode III I've had the OST before seeing the film but have chosen to listen to it after the film -some weird musical spoiler thing. Music felt fresher though the old staples of Leia's Theme and the Han Solo & The Princess when Han and Leia were reunited were welcomed not to mention the tail-end of Burning Homestead for when Rey ignited Luke's sabre (one of my favourite bits from Episode IV).

Film-wise, jokily not enough lens flare but it held up throughout. Poe reminded me of Corran Horn from the Michael Stackpole X-wing books (I've read far too much of the EU I imagine and thus Corran came to mind quickly). A couple of times Finn was a pain in the assatron but he and Rey are suitable additions to the series. As it dragged on found myself wanting to see Luke and thus the end scene, thank God.

Though the EU (or Legends as it now is) is being ignored, wouldn't mind seeing Mara Jade on screen. To that end, started to think Rey was Luke's daughter. Just the way it goes now that everything is tied up neatly and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. Just as Han buying it wasn't a surprise (though sad to see), knowing Ford wanted Han killed off in ROTJ.

Not bad and I await Episode VIII with a better feeling than I had before seeing this today. Even Rogue One is something I'm looking forward to, even if it's not (as I foolishly thought) a X-wing/Rogue Squadron movie.

And scene.

On December 23, 2015 at 6:20 PM, karelm said:

Interesting...did any of it still fail to make an impact?  Any missed story telling opportunities?

The ending bothers me a little bit. It feels tackd on just for the sake of it. I thought the map to Luke Skywalker was too easy and convenient. 

However I really like it as a whole. I also appreciate the score a lot more than when I first listened to it. 

Reflecting on the film a bit (which I loved), I did notice a couple unwelcome holdovers to some of the things Abrams did in Star Trek.

For one, after watching the film, I would have liked have had a little more information on the Republic, the Resistance and the First Order. And it occurred to me that in fact in fact Abrams gave similar short shrift to the Federation in Star Trek (oddly described as a "peacekeeping and humanitarian armada").  I came away with the impression that Abrams just simply wasn't interested in that kind of exposition, or those aspects of the story, at all.  I certainly didn't want the story getting bogged down in it, ala the PT, but I would have liked a little bit more.  I'm sure those are things that Abrams was happy to let other directors handle in future films.

Another Abrams holdover from Star Trek was the notion of very young, inexperienced people suddenly becoming powerful and effective enough as to almost render experience moot...i.e. a bunch of green Starfleet cadets almost effortlessly assuming senior positions on a Starship, and Rey's sudden skill with a lightsaber. I would have preferred to see the scene unfold as it did right up to the moment Rey picks up the sabre, at which time Ren should disarm and bring her close to death fairly quickly after toying with her a bit...and then some deus ex machina saving the day and Rey...which Abrams did only minutes later with the Starkiller base coming apart anyway.  But in this case, I think Abrams wanted a proper Rey lightsaber duel in his movie, and he got it.

I think there will be a love triangle with rey, finn and poe. As i said, if Rey is a EU Jaina-like charater, she will end with a a starfighter pilot...

About her ascendancy, maybe she is not luke's daughter, but Ben Solo's daughter, that has been kept secret from him. or he thinks she died. This hapened with EU's Jacen's solo daughter. Maybe the ages do not match...how old is Kylo Ren supposed to be? When did he destriy the Jedi knights? last month? 5 years a go? a decade ago?

Since i have only seen the film once...i didnt noticed the 1st time. Was there a lensflare fest in the film? IN fact i dont remember a single lens flare (though it must had been some...)

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

About her ascendancy, maybe she is not luke's daughter, but Ben Solo's daughter, that has been kept secret from him. or he thinks she died. 

I just don't see how the math works on that one.

16 minutes ago, Nick66 said:

Another Abrams holdover from Star Trek was the notion of very young, inexperienced people suddenly becoming powerful and effective enough as to almost render experience moot...i.e. a bunch of green Starfleet cadets assuming senior positions on a Starship, and Rey's sudden skill with a lightsaber. I would have preferred to see the scene unfold as it did right up to the moment Rey picks up the sabre, at which time Ren should disarm and bring her close to death fairly quickly after toying with her a bit...and then some deus ex machina saving the day and Rey...which Abrams did only minutes later with the Starkiller base coming apart anyway.  But in this case, I think Abrams wanted a proper Rey lightsaber duel in his movie, and he got it.

I think Ren will hand Rey's arse to her on a Gungan seafood platter for Round 2 in Episode VIII. And she'll probably lose a hand too. She'll be defiant of Luke and irrationally push for a fight with Ren but be grossly underprepared.

Hint of lens flare when the Starkiller came apart but nothing to write home about.

Was it Coruscant that was destroyed by the Starkiller? I may have missed it mentioned (the planet's name). On that note, either it was the coffee I had, or when the settlement on Jakku was attacked by the TIE's I swear I heard someone shout: "Jar Jar!"

Otherwise I'm gearing up for a re-watch once I can find a cinema with comfortable seats and not some kind of F1 car seat.

3 hours ago, Drax said:

I think Ren will hand Rey's arse to her on a Gungan seafood platter for Round 2 in Episode VIII. And she'll probably lose a hand too. She'll be defiant of Luke and irrationally push for a fight with Ren but be grossly underprepared.

Since Ren is still learning the force, why wouldn't Luke just crush him quickly?  It might make sense if Luke was a force ghost so Rey became the last hope.  

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

Was it Coruscant that was destroyed by the Starkiller? I may have missed it mentioned (the planet's name).

Nope, it was Hosnia Prime

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hosnian_Prime

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Since Ren is still learning the force, why wouldn't Luke just crush him quickly?  It might make sense if Luke was a force ghost so Rey became the last hope.  

Because his midicloran count is the higher than Lukes but not as high as Ren. 

that hurt just typing that.