The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

15 hours ago, karelm said:

Since Ren is still learning the force, why wouldn't Luke just crush him quickly?  It might make sense if Luke was a force ghost so Rey became the last hope.  

Because Rey will just nick off on her own to fight him?

And to expand on the whole Rey insta-Jedi thing...

I saw it more as a Freudian thing with Rey losing her lightsabre virginity and overcoming Kylo with her newly found sexual powers. For someone who lived so isolated and probably without any sexual guidance growing up, the feelings bottled up over time and manifested with such intensity and ferocity, Kylo didn't stand a chance. This of course happened straight after Kylo demonstrated his sexual dominance and superiority over the impotent* black man, but the highly charged woman defended his honour by forcing Kylo to expose his own sexual impotence, which was essentially his youth and inexperience in the proverbial bedroom. He might have even been a virgin himself, having never fought anyone as emotionally formidable as Rey was at that moment. And in a fit of desperation, Kylo offers to be her teacher in a tenuous attempt to tame this wild beast who has freed herself from the bondage of polite society. But Kylo's kidding himself by thinking this dame can be tamed by the old world rigidities of the Dark Side followers. You could say she found her own Dark Side, and she'll explore that in her own way.

Even the film's title can be interpreted this way, as not only does the "force awaken", it's a metaphorical tale about a young woman's sexual awakening.

*Finn's lack of [evident] Force sensitivity is a metaphorical equivalent to sexual impotence in the SW universe. Where does Han fit in to this? He's had to overcome this deficiency over time. He was powerless to fight back in ESB in Cloud City, resulting in Vader freezing him in a permanent state of impotence and humiliation. It's no coincidence that Vader's helmet is a phallic form (his own form of overcompensation for his loss of sexual strength during his confrontation with Obi-Wan on Mustafar). Of course, it took his more sexually active, Force sensitive girlfriend to rescue him in ROTJ. This experience, along with his devastating failure as a father, has probably haunted him ever since, which is why he reverted to his smuggling profession and still keeps his hairy friend Chewie with him after 30 years, because our pets never judge us on how well we perform with our human sexual partners.

19 hours ago, Nick66 said:

I would have preferred to see the scene unfold as it did right up to the moment Rey picks up the sabre, at which time Ren should disarm and bring her close to death fairly quickly after toying with her a bit...and then some deus ex machina saving the day and Rey...which Abrams did only minutes later with the Starkiller base coming apart anyway.  But in this case, I think Abrams wanted a proper Rey lightsaber duel in his movie, and he got it.

The Deus Ex Machina was Rey suddenly finding the Force to wield off Ren just as he's got her cornered. For the first part of the fight, Ren clearly has the upper hand. Then he says something like "you are untrained in the ways of the Force", there's a close-up of Rey with the Force theme going off and she manages to fight Ren off just before the ground splits open.

Not great storytelling, but it's there, I guess.

I'm sure there were plenty of big wig execs at Disney who were constantly around to ensure their $4bn investment would pay off.  Now that TFA is a massive, massive hit, I'm sure Rian Johnson will be given more more leway for Episode 8.

I don't care about 3P0's arm.  Like the opening of the film, it just screamed of a setup for a spinoff comic more than anything that was organically a part of the film.

And sure enough, there's a comic book coming out in February that explains the red arm:

stwc3po2015001-dc11-149984.jpg

Poe and Von Sydow's scene, and the clear back story that Von Sydow knows who Ren is, etc.  I'm sure there'll be a spinoff comic about Poe's mission that ends with him arriving on Jakku to meet Von Sydow, and I'm sure there'll be some other comic or book about Sydow's prior interaction with Ren.

I think the idea that the ultimate, biggest bad guy of the sequel trilogy is a really old guy who was actually around and maybe involved in some of what happened in the PT and OT is interesting and could lead to cool stuff in the final 2 chapters.

I wonder if Episode 8 will feature Force Ghosts.  TFA was such a nice continuation of the OT that almost entirely ignored the PT, but one element it didn't bring in from the OT at all was Force Ghosts, or even long distance Force communication (like when Luke calls to Leia at the end of TESB).  I actually think it would have been cool if Rey heard Luke's voice at some point in the film.  But I also like that she took down Ren entirely on her own, so I dunno when or where it could have gone.

People seem to gravitate toward vague a wishy-washy "of the Jedi" or "Balance of the Force" type titles. But as a trilogy middle chapter, Episode VIII needs a corny but exciting four-word action title like: 

The First Order's Counterstrike

Snoke's Reign of Terror

Destroy All Jedi Masters

Night of the Long Lightsabers

Invasion of the Stormtroopers

The Imperial Resurgence Begins

One of those was five words, but you get the idea.

On 12/28/2015 at 1:58 PM, amh1219 said:

Y'know, I think it would be kind of cool if Rey stayed the lead, Finn ended up as a lesser force user himself and the two of them didn't have a romance.

It's possible the entire sequel trilogy will have no romance storylines for its leads.  

In Episode 7, really the only romance stuff was Finn having the hots for Rey, and Han/Leia.

I think it'd be cool if a future episode featured one of the human character's love interest be another species :P

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Episode 8 will feature Force Ghosts.  TFA was such a nice continuation of the OT that almost entirely ignored the PT, but one element it didn't bring in from the OT at all was Force Ghosts, or even long distance Force communication (like when Luke calls to Leia at the end of TESB).  I actually think it would have been cool if Rey heard Luke's voice at some point in the film.  But I also like that she took down Ren entirely on her own, so I dunno when or where it could have gone.

Well, you do see Leia sensing Han's death, if that counts.

I'll be surprised if Luke never communicates with Yoda. "I don't know how to teach her the way you taught me, Master". That kind of thing.

On 12/28/2015 at 2:02 PM, Jay said:

It's possible the entire sequel trilogy will have no romance storylines for its leads.  

In Episode 7, really the only romance stuff was Finn having the hots for Rey, and Han/Leia.

I think it'd be cool if a future episode featured one of the human character's love interest be another species :P

I don't think Finn is even supposed to have the hots for Rey. Not in the traditional romantic sense.

On 12/28/2015 at 2:17 PM, Stefancos said:

I don't think Finn is even supposed to have the hots for Rey. Not in the traditional romantic sense.

Outside of asking if she had a cute boyfriend back on Jakku, the entire thing seemed very platonic.

I'd like to see romance somewhere in this trilogy - it's ingrained into Star Wars for me.  I wouldn't mind any Rey/Finn/Poe romances to be with characters we haven't been introduced to yet.  We don't need a Big Three Love Triangle to have romance.

I'd now rank the Star Wars films thusly:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. The Force Awakens

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Attack of the Clones

You guys are nuts!  Finn clearly has the hots for Rey!  That's the only reason he asked if she had a cute boyfriend!

On 12/28/2015 at 2:18 PM, MikeTroxell said:

They considered using Anakin's force ghost, per the recent "art of" book.

And Rey heard Yoda's and Obi-wan's voices in her vision - I'd guess that is all part of the same process.

Sure, but what I meant was that ANH had Obi-Wan's voice guiding Luke at the end; TESB had Obi-Wan physically appearing and talking to Luke and Yoda; ROTJ had Obi-Wan appearing again, and then Anakin and Yoda at teh end too.  

TFA didn't continue this tradition.  Honestly, the film moves so far, there was no time....

On 12/28/2015 at 2:34 PM, Stefancos said:

I don't think so.

He was even about to leave for the outer rim, remember.

Yea, because Rey didn't return his feelings! :P

On 12/28/2015 at 2:34 PM, Jay said:

Sure, but what I meant was that ANH had Obi-Wan's voice guiding Luke at the end; TESB had Obi-Wan physically appearing and talking to Luke and Yoda; ROTJ had Obi-Wan appearing again, and then Anakin and Yoda at teh end too.  

TFA didn't continue this tradition.  Honestly, the film moves so far, there was no time....

Force voices from Yoda and Obi-Wan can be heard in the film, so they certainly did honor that tradition.

Those were more like flashbacks / images and not the character returning to guide the current main character like was done in the previous 3 chapters.

On 12/28/2015 at 2:37 PM, Scarpia said:

I think he has a crush on Rey, but no hope at all something may work for them.

Agreed.

Of course not. He lied to her, he wasnt a resistance member.

He felt guilty about it because she saw him as a human being rather then a mindless drone, the first time anyone had even done so in his living memory.

Nothing so banal as romantic love.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

You guys are nuts!  Finn clearly has the hots for Rey!  That's the only reason he asked if she had a cute boyfriend!

At this point, I'm pretty sure Stiff is just playing with you.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Episode 8 will feature Force Ghosts. 

The Force ghosts, the Force ghosts, it have to be relevant in the story!

A Force ghost of Obi-Wan or Yoda appearing to Luke after all these years would not have been relevant. Luke is a big boy now.

The right question is: will Luke be a Force ghost if he's got killed in the next two episodes?

Because of "Clone Wars" we now know how a Jedi can retain is identity after death.

But is Luke is enough good to be chosen by the Force? Is he ready for that?

There's no guarantee the filmmakers will choose to keep everything that was shown in that Clone Wars cartoon as canon.

Just now, Jay said:

There's no guarantee the filmmakers will choose to keep everything that was shown in that Clone Wars cartoon as canon.

Clone Wars IS canon.

I think the little smile he gives when she hugs him after the rescue is the first real confirmation I got. The boyfriend line shows he's a normal horny dude, the confession I think was more of a platonic gesture, him finally wanting to be open and honest and showing how he's quickly grown to care for her, and then freaking out over her abduction is more of that. Their reunion at Starkiller is when I felt like he was 100% crushing pretty hard. They did a nice job developing that, really.

I know that it is NOW, but what I said was "There's no guarantee the filmmakers will choose to keep everything that was shown in that Clone Wars cartoon as canon."

Geez, I hope there's someone at Lucasfilm, at least Kenny, to make sure the filmmakers of the future episodes will stay in the right path. There are rules!  A "canon" zone has been established by Lucasfilm/Disney, if this is not respected, the fans wil lbe very upset.