The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Speaking of the Sith. Why are they always just two? 

It's a modern rule instored to prevent the extinction of the Sith. As Sith has a special talent to stab in the back all his fellows.

When there are only two, survival is a serious thing. The master can't kill his apprentice unless he founds a new one. And the apprentice can't kill his master unless he think he's  now the Master and Have found  an apprentice.

Kylo Ren is probably the most interesting Star Wars character yet.  Granted, not the most likable or iconic but I'm really interested to see where the writers will take the character in future installments.  

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Whaaaa?

According to old canon, in old times, armies of sith battle armies of Jedi. But the treachorous sith always ended backstabbing themselves for power. Darth Bane (character created by George Lucas) saw this as a bad thing, because several lesser sith would unite to defeat a more powerful sith, so the sith ended being less and less powerful. So he devised a trap in, which, in a battle of jedi vs sith, he tricked the sith in creating a Force "thought bomb", to kill the Jedi. But this power engulfed all force living arround it, so it killed lots of Jedi and all the sith. That's when the jedi in TPM think the sith were exterminated "a millennia ago"

Bane created the rule of two, master and apprentice, so by means of insiduous plans, achieve power in the shadows unil the moment to eliminitate the Jedi arose. Palpatine's scheme was the pinnacle of that.

:P

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong. Apparently there was quite a lot of speculation between TESB and ROTJ about it. There were many who believed Vader was lying..And the matter wasnt settled till Yoda confined it.

Didn't an early draft of ROTJ actually feature Anakin Skywalker coming to aid his song? He was the "There is another" not Leia.

Really i dont think how people could think anakin skywalker was alive. Yes Vader could lie about his parentage.

But the Yoda line does not make sense for it being anakin. So Yoda kept anakin's life secret from obi wan? Yes, and han solo never saw chewie's bowcaster before...

Anyway it's angering the new canon has made Leia ("the other one" and "pass on what you have learned") just another military leader and not a trained Jedi. She could have been both. bah. Yoda nonsense.

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

To be fair, he's the character I enjoy the most. The second viewing really improved for me in that regard. Plus his theme tune is suitably dastardly!

Didn't quite strike the same chord with me.

I prefer Ford's energy, Isaac's charisma or Rey for just being so awesome. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Darth Plagueis existed and he was killed by his apprentice Darth Sidious. You can see Palpatine reliving the experience as he tells the story to Anakin.

Even if i prefer that, according from what we see on film, there is nothing really to believe Plagueis was Sidious master. In fact him telling it as a sith legend (as is was old history) conflicts with it. Palpatine's gesture could be just relishing on the irony of his death.

I much prefer the sideways glances that Alec guinness performs while telling luke about his father in Star wars. Even if it impossible, you can really see him lying to luke and making the story up, from a certain point of view..

Interesting.  I thought she meant she was a believer with knowledge of the force but not that she had force powers.  Do you think that Leia's force strength is limited because she is untrained (so with training she can be a jedi) or is it that not everyone who has the force can be trained?   Maybe Maz is something like that...she can't be a jedi but she is sensitive so could have limited in her abilities like how Leia's powers seem limited to hearing Luke and Han clairvoyant calls.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess the fact that they deleted the scene makes that non-canon?

I would think so.  They would have to reintroduce and set up those powers in the sequels for it to make sense to the general audience.

Maz could have the force, and be from another force cult different from the jedi, sith or knights of ren...

BTW I read that leia not being jedi was her decision, because she focused on politics and military.

It's a shame though. :(

29 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maz could have the force, and be from another force cult different from the jedi, sith or knights of ren...

She made me wonder if she was a SW-equivalent of a "squib" from Harry Potter. Someone from a Force powered family but didn't get the Force when she was born.

Because it's not often that muggles talk about the Force...

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The Knights Of Maz.

With members like Maz Kanata, Maz Sage, Maz Production, Maz Sive, and an unusual knight, Maz Soquist.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did The Force Awakens have a Wilhelm scream?

YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE FOUR TIMES AND NEVER NOTICED????????

It's at the beginning, in the Star Destroyer hangar bay when Finn and Poe escape.  Noticed it right away on my first viewing.