The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

Lol I see that too.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

If I had a quirk it would probably be my overuse of parentheses.  (I use them a lot) 

I wouldn't know what my quirk would be either, other than I'm fucking cool as hell.

I do get the whole "ingratiating" problem. On the other hand I think it only makes sense that we would all notice and respond more to the regular posters. And there's nobody that I just plain skip over. It's just sometimes there's not much to add no matter who's posting, but at least if it's somebody familiar you can more easily make a joke or something.

Also I looked at the "Welcome" board and was reminded that we do respond pretty sarcastically to people most of the time :lol: but hey, at least the threads are never ignored! We talk about the pub atmosphere a lot...the general vibe of this place is basically one of a bunch of bored, restless John Williams fans sitting around, shooting the shit, waiting for any little piece of news or music. If you happen to walk in the room, you might get a grunt of acknowledgement but otherwise you're just jumping into the waiting game. Maybe I accept that because it reflects my own state of mind when it comes to my favorite composer.

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Clemensen's review is up and frankly I don't get half of his thematic analysis. He seems to have gleaned a very different set of new themes than what we have established here.

Anyone read his analysis yet?

He leaves me utterly confused when talking about minor thirds in the Imperial March and Kylo Ren's theme. What minor thirds? 

I think he talks about the fanfare that accompanies Kylo Ren's motif in the opening sequence (not only there). Doug Adams was on about that as well on Twitter.

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think he talks about the fanfare that accompanies Kylo Ren's motif in the opening sequence (not only there). Doug Adams was on about that as well on Twitter.

He's talking about triplets, not minor thirds...?

I'm still not hearing it.

From his site:

His musical background includes a decade of formal piano training and performance, as well as another decade of study in motion picture scores.

That's not much, but way more than I have!

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

JWFan >>>>>> FSM >>>>>>>>>>>>>> […] >>>>>>>> Filmtracks

JWFan > Filmtracks  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [...] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stupid FSM

1 hour ago, loert423 said:

He's talking about triplets, not minor thirds...?

I'm still not hearing it.

You're not hearing the similarity of that moment to the Imperial March? Pay close attention to the final measures of the latter - the similarity is very obvious.

Compare 4:47 of TFA's first track to 2:52 of the Imperial March.

2 minutes ago, loert423 said:

Yes, both have brass triplets, but what has that got to do with minor thirds?

Oh, I assumed you meant you didn't hear the similarity of the two segments. My bad! ;)

3 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Wikipedia is thy friend! ;)

Wow!  Thanks!  I never would have thought to try that!

Anyways, after googling and not finding anything on wikipedia for brass triplets and a little bit regarding minor third progressions that I still don't understand before I made my first comment, I was interested if anyone could give a layman's explanation for those who are not musically trained, specifically in the context of the Star Wars scores.

3 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I was interested if anyone could give a layman's explanation for those who are not musically trained, specifically in the context of the Star Wars scores.

Seconded.

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

I don't think Filmtracks is a bad community, on the other hand.  They are mostly earnest and positive about their love of film scores.  It's just all that weird... stuff that makes its way in.

You don't like reading about the California man caught screwing a Marxist oboe?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

And that I have a girl's name.

Hey, that's my thing!

4 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

If I had a quirk it would probably be my overuse of parentheses.  (I use them a lot) 

Hey, that's my thing!

brass triplets and minor thirds In the context of themes we know:

If you listen to the imperial march,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6wXaLQIMQ

Listen to those fast notes in the accompaniment, in the first two bars.

on paper the rhythm looks like this:

http://imgur.com/2HQwYie

1 2 takata 3 takata-takakta, 1 2 takata 3 takata-takakta. Those are the triplets that, when played in other contexts, make us think of the imperial march. In the end of the imperial march, the brass are playing those triplets in full force. Throughout the other movies, he often does this  to strongly evoke the imperial march, without playing the imperial march.

In the Attack on Jakku, he doesn't need to use the imperial march, but those triplets tell you all that you need to know for now. (about 2 minutes into Main Title/Attack on Jakku, again around 4:20 as mentioned)

Minor third: the interval between the root note and the middle note of a minor triad. It's one semi-tone smaller than a major third, which would be the interval in a major triad. On a piano, C to E-flat is a minor third. C to E is a major third. There are minor thirds everywhere because a lot of the music is in a minor key (even Rey's music). To me, the minor third wasn't really an identifying characteristic of any particular theme, but it's in there for sure. There are other elements of the imperial march that are so much more distinctive than that.

For example, the Imperial march moves primarily between two chords - they are both minor, but they are separated by a major third... The 3 main melody notes of the imperial march ar actually the outline of a major triad, but his harmonization makes it sound more minor then anything else we've heard before. (if you want notes, the melody goes G G G E-flat B-flat G, outlining E-flat major, but the chords accompanying that are G minor and E-flat minor)

the minor third in imperial march is the short note coming back to the main note. the "TA DUM" in  DUM DUM DUM, DUM TA DUM, DUM TA DUM

I wasn't giving a whole lot of thought to minor-thirds in general - maybe he knows a whole lot more about it than I do. I'm certainly being baited into ultra-deconstruction, as he describes it.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

KK!

He was was born in it, moulded by it. He didn't see the JWFan light until he was already a man, by then it was nothing to him but BLINDING!

Lol how did this blow up so much again? Like I had some old friends from Filmtracks FB message me screenshots of my name in this thread!!

I think the petty feud between both communities are based on minute aspects of both "cultures", if you will, blown up to gargantuan proportions to "defend" the supposed "righteousness" of their cause.

Yes, I started at Filmtracks; was pretty active there. Occasionally I "lurk", but honestly just don't have the time I used to be able to frequent multiple forums. JWFan is just more suitable for my current needs with film music, music and whatnot. But I stand by that they have a wonderful community of some truly kind and passionate individuals. So sometimes I don't quite get the animosity between these two groups.

Christian has the right to his opinions, as does any reviewer, even if I don't always agree with him. And sure he can be verbose, but there is a sincerity and effort in his research, critique and wit that not many other reviewers can attest to. And for pete's sake, many of us writers already know how much work this takes, and this is a man who's basically doing his best while running a family with two kids. I'm sure if every other reviewer received as much scrutiny as he did, you'd be talking about the same problems, if not worse. He's never pretended to be the supreme intellectual when it came to film music. He just tries to sell what he perceives as the strengths and weaknesses of what he hears to those who are getting into this small musical niche. He knows this, and I've seen him say so multiple times. And to his credit, he does it with integrity. But this is Filmtracks, so the natural instinct here is to compare it to scum of course. And sure the formatting is old (though it remains unique, and it's kind of nostalgic), but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things?

On the other hand, I consider Kuhni an old pal, but I think he judges JWFan by what little he's seen. And he might be clinging on to grudges that might not be so justified if he really got to know this community and the members behind it. It's a hard place to get acclimated to at first, and conversations like this certainly don't help encourage outsiders, but it remains the best place on the web for intelligent discussion on all things film music.

So people of both sides, let's stop presuming things and making claims without really knowing the nuances of either community and get on with what we love doing most.

13 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Haha, if only I was right all the time.

But I appreciate that.  I feel like members like you, Incanus, and Jay have done a good job lately of involving more people in discussions, despite what I said earlier.  Perhaps that is why I have been more involved over the last year, in addition to TFA being released.

14 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

It did take a while before I actually felt like part of JWFan.  

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

The only distinctive thing about me is that is use ellipsis... bit too frequently.

And that I have a girl's name. Which, of course, was originally derived from a male name.

Karol

Haha, it definitely takes a while to become a real part of this community. I know it did for me. Not sure when people started taking me seriously and I'm certainly not sure what makes me distinctive here, but we all eventually get there. And I kind of like that its something you have to work for. It is more "cutthroat", but it also encourages unique thought and discussion which helps bypass all the unnecessary fodder that gets in the way of more meaningful discussion, which often plagues most other forums.

I consider it to be the "initiation" phase. Eventually you learn the language and just begin to really click with the folks here. :)

28 minutes ago, Drax said:

It's rather laborious, isn't it? There maybe a lot of fans of SW that cherish every extra mile that is devoted to their precious - though i never heard that Williams was incapacitated by heart troubles in the 80's? - so brevity might not be the first order here but why hardly any reviewer is able to put his/her finger on what this score essentially is, namely a melange of other scores of Williams' recent past is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, KK. said:

Lol how did this blow up so much again? Like I had some old friends from Filmtracks FB message me screenshots of my name in this thread!!

I think the petty feud between both communities are based on minute aspects of both "cultures", if you will, blown up to gargantuan proportions to "defend" the supposed "righteousness" of their cause.

Yes, I started at Filmtracks; was pretty active there. Occasionally I "lurk", but honestly just don't have the time I used to be able to frequent multiple forums. JWFan is just more suitable for my current needs with film music, music and whatnot. But I stand by that they have a wonderful community of some truly kind and passionate individuals. So sometimes I don't quite get the animosity between these two groups.

Christian has the right to his opinions, as does any reviewer, even if I don't always agree with him. And sure he can be verbose, but there is a sincerity and effort in his research, critique and wit that not many other reviewers can attest to. And for pete's sake, many of us writers already know how much work this takes, and this is a man who's basically doing his best while running a family with two kids. I'm sure if every other reviewer received as much scrutiny as he did, you'd be talking about the same problems, if not worse. He's never pretended to be the supreme intellectual when it came to film music. He just tries to sell what he perceives as the strengths and weaknesses of what he hears to those who are getting into this small musical niche. He knows this, and I've seen him say so multiple times. And to his credit, he does it with integrity. But this is Filmtracks, so the natural instinct here is to compare it to scum of course. And sure the formatting is old (though it remains unique, and it's kind of nostalgic), but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things?

On the other hand, I consider Kuhni an old pal, but I think he judges JWFan by what little he's seen. And he might be clinging on to grudges that might not be so justified if he really got to know this community and the members behind it. It's a hard place to get acclimated to at first, and conversations like this certainly don't help encourage outsiders, but it remains the best place on the web for intelligent discussion on all things film music.

So people of both sides, let's stop presuming things and making claims without really knowing the nuances of either community and get on with what we love doing most.

Haha, it definitely takes a while to become a real part of this community. I know it did for me. Not sure when people started taking me seriously and I'm certainly not sure what makes me distinctive here, but we all eventually get there. And I kind of like that its something you have to work for. It is more "cutthroat", but it also encourages unique thought and discussion which helps bypass all the unnecessary fodder that gets in the way of more meaningful discussion, which often plagues most other forums.

I consider it to be the "initiation" phase. Eventually you learn the language and just begin to really click with the folks here. :)

Judas! JUDAS!!!!

16 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Clemensen's review is up and frankly I don't get half of his thematic analysis. He seems to have gleaned a very different set of new themes than what we have established here.

Anyone read his analysis yet?

He's quite anal, huh. He gave it five stars though. I was expecting him to award only four.

19 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think he's given all of the SW scores 5 stars, even AotC, which IMO is most definitely not a 5 star score.

Clemmension is not a reviewer I rely on for balanced opinions.

He gave ROTS only four stars, complaining about the lack of Luke and Leia theme.