The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

It is from FSM from a Film & Film Music Journalist.

Oui:

International Film Music Critics Association member. Film & film music journalist for the French movie magazine Mad Movies since 1999. Contributor to the French edition of Soundtrack! from 1992 to its final issue. Film music reviewer for the French movie magazine L'Ecran Fantastique from 1989 to 1993.

It is from FSM from a Film & Film Music Journalist.

Oui:

International Film Music Critics Association member. Film & film music journalist for the French movie magazine Mad Movies since 1999. Contributor to the French edition of Soundtrack! from 1992 to its final issue. Film music reviewer for the French movie magazine L'Ecran Fantastique from 1989 to 1993.

2296453868_357d3cefbc.jpg

I'm just assuming that the majority of people who have seen the movie are people who would regard symphonic music as elevator music and listen to Skrillex or Taylor Swift. We should probably just wait until actually JWFanners (as opposed to your average retard) have seen the movie.

The score sounds like a sub-INDY 3, in fact.

I adore the three previous SW scores. Besides that, in his recent works, I loved War Horse, Indy 4 (kind of), War of the Worlds. Didn't care too much for the others.

I'm not saying SWTFA is a bad score, far from it. But I was expecting something more epic. It's propulsive, but it's more based on action and speed than it is on thematic development. And the march of the Resistance is really, really disappointing. But all Rey's music is great and there is a beautiful heroic theme (heard only twice).

I don't really care about a dramatic arch anyway - I'm more interested in great individual moments.

More from Cédric Delelée:

Thanks for the reply, cdelelee!

I see you cannot say anything about the film, but would it be possible to say if the music (less epic/more action driven) was a result of it being well adapted to the film?
I guess so, but not all the time. For example, the old themes' quotes are not very well-adapted and frankly the music could have been more thematic-driven in many scenes, but may be I missed some quotes. I'll have to listen to the CD to be sure.
And for the choral writing, yes, it sounds fine, but nothing new here, just a ROTJ reworking in less powerful.

You missed this from that guy from FSM: "Same level as INDY 4 ? Yes, may be better. But I expected more."

Ok., that and Thor's comments have tempered my expectations enormously, it might not even be as good as the prequel scores.

Indy IV is great! I definitely like some of the action material there more than I like AOTC's action setpieces, for example.

Swashbuckler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (...) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Arena

reading all these comments about less thematic, mostly rhythmic-motivic music, individual stand-out moments and less development etc. i think comes in total agreement with what Williams' music has become the last years..

reading all these comments about less thematic, mostly rhythmic-motivic music, individual stand-out moments and less development etc. i think comes in total agreement with what Williams' music has become the last years..

Yup. And I'm all in for it!

He merely indulges to the modern trend. Are woodwinds still banned from modern scoring?

He merely indulges to the modern trend. Are woodwinds still banned from modern scoring?

Don't be ridiculous. It has nothing to do with modern trends.

Don't be ridiculous. It has nothing to do with modern trends.

Boring post! Speak up or don't say anything at all.

So this could be the weakest Star Wars score? That is a frightening thought but I won't panic before I have heard the score on album and seen the movie, just lowering my expectations greatly now.

I wonder if it relies heavily on previous material? Maybe it won't be able to get an Oscar nomination?

Watching a Star Wars movie and listening to a new Star Wars score, both at the same time and for the first time is too overwhelming to properly focus on both things.

And how it works on album is frankly, for me, pretty much all that matters

Don't be ridiculous. It has nothing to do with modern trends.Boring post! Speak up or don't say anything at all.

I wait until someone responds stupidly to my initial provocation to unleash truth.

So, do you have anything to say?

So is the score more coherent than the prequels? I kinda felt that those scores were a number of great set pieces surrounded by more anonymous action music and fairly generic dramatic scoring. Lucas' editing didn't help things.

"Oh no, it's not more coherent. It's exactly what you say about them, with less great set pieces."

From that FSM poster. Sounds like it is the weakest Star Wars score.

Watching a Star Wars movie and listening to a new Star Wars score, both at the same time and for the first time is too overwhelming to properly focus on both things.

And how it works on album is frankly, for me, pretty much all that matters

I think that's true. We can't expect to instantly see and hear everything all at once on first viewing, as we can with the OT and prequels which are familiar by now.

I hate to be the over-optimistic wide-eyed fangirl for once instead of my usual grinch (like I am in the rest of the Internet) but I remember when people dissed Tintin and then it was awesome.

I still find it his weakest adventure score

Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects and maybe Production Design. That's the Oscar ceiling on "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

@kristapley you think Williams is contention to win this year or it still Burwell/Morricone's year?

Kristopher Tapley @kristapley

@mavericksmovies I kinda think Morricone is going to win but I don't know.

This guy thinks Williams will get a nomination but Morricone will win.

This guy thinks Williams will get a nomination but Morricone will win.

This guy is probably right.

I just noticed I remember literally nothing from the AotC OST besides the love theme and a statement of the Imperial March.

The Arena is an awesome track from that OST.

That's all there's to remember from that score.