The Thematic Material of the Star Wars Saga (Possible Community Project?)

Faleel

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So is the Jedi Steps theme being considered a new theme?

It sounds like a new theme to me but some people are saying it is a fusion of Rey and Luke's themes.

It very probably could be both of those things; a new theme that is intended to signify a relationship or training between Luke and Rey while being an amalgamation of their themes.

Is there somewhere a comprehensive list being maintained? The opening post has SW 4 and there is a SW 7 list later too.

But that one seems to be missing this "Poe Dameron's theme" and as I cannot recognize that one yet, I was hoping to be able to find that somewhere....

Poe isn't in the movie much, so it makes sense his theme is only heard three times in the score. I'm glad it made a part of Williams' end credit suite!

Yeah, I believe that was the one that Abrams said that Williams had to go back to include in the End Credits after it had already been written and recorded.  He wasn't quite satisfied so he went back and wrote in Poe's theme.

It also has a great little moment at 1:02 in 'I Can Fly Anything' just before it fully comes in at 1:19. As if to say his theme is trying to break through the First Order, but doesn't manage it, so it tries again a few seconds later and succeeds. Pure musical storytelling from Williams.

I brought it up somewhere on here too :lol: I think the album thread.

Definitely a favorite, and it's fantastic in the film playing over that first shot of the TIE Fighter zooming past the camera in space after they break free. Just brings so much excitement to it.

Poe's Theme understandably has a Superhero feel to it, which makes me wonder what he would do for a modern Comic book film. Marvel of course, considering they don't take themselves seriously at all, which is what Williams said was so good about doing Superman.

On the possible instance of Han and Leia's theme in "Torn Apart," I paid special attention as to when it plays in the film, and believe I can confirm Williams intended the reference, by context:

Spoiler

It plays exactly as Leia appears to sense Han's death through the force.

I realize there wasn't that much debate about this thematic statement, but I, myself, was not convinced, and, having placed it in the film, I am now.

Rey's Theme

0:00 Rey's Theme (Flute Intro)
0:13 Rey's Theme (Intro)
0:33 Rey's Theme
1:00 Rey's Theme (Intro)
1:21 Rey's Theme
1:40 Rey's Theme
1:54 Rey's Theme (Intro)
2:13 Rey's Theme
2:39 Rey's Theme (Intro)

BULLSH*T!

Where are the "A" and "B" parts?

21 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Rey's Theme

0:00 Rey's Theme (Flute Intro)
0:13 Rey's Theme (Intro)
0:33 Rey's Theme
1:00 Rey's Theme (Intro)
1:21 Rey's Theme
1:40 Rey's Theme
1:54 Rey's Theme (Intro)
2:13 Rey's Theme
2:39 Rey's Theme (Intro)

BULLSH*T!

Where are the "A" and "B" parts?

There is no A, there is no B, there is only the Theme.

4 minutes ago, Faleel said:

There is no A, there is no B, there is only the Theme.

Different parts get quoted and altered in different contexts, maybe there is special meaning.

There are 3 significant melodic parts of her themes, and they're all used differently in the movie.

0:33 Rey main theme

1:21 Rey theme B (more scary?)

1:54 Rey theme C (more heroic?)

and there are the two different ostinatos from the intro which come and go inbetween.

A is used all over the place.

B is used in isolation when she rejects the lightsaber, and again on Starkiller at some point between beating Kylo and getting picked up by Chewie. "Rey runs panicked through a forest alone" motif. ;) B does not appear in the Scavenger, though that's her character introduction. Maybe C should be before B.

C is usually only used as a continuation of A, but I think there are a few times it appears in isolation (in the Abduction, for example, C comes first)

On December 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM, DominicCobb said:

Does anyone else hear a hint of the Imperial March during the Jedi Steps at 0:58-1:07? Was the first thing I thought of in the theater, surprised no one else has mentioned it. Am I crazy?

Guess I'm not crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSshbAzy1S8

On December 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM, KK. said:

Is it me or is "Han and Leia" in Torn Apart? At 2:14, I keep hearing a twisted variation of that melody on the horns, probably to accompany the fall.

Holy crap, you're right! This was already one of my favorite tracks on the OST, but that just made it 5x better. Wow.

EDIT: Checked; the quotation occurs WHILE Leia is onscreen. Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2015 at 1:52 PM, Faleel said:

Torn Apart

1:06 The Force Theme (Fragment)?
2:14 Han Solo and the Princess (Twisted, Horns)
2:48 Kylo Ren's Theme
3:13 The Force Theme
3:44 Kylo Ren's Theme
3:52 Rey's Theme

Is that statement of Han Solo and the Princess definitive, like you're certain it's there? I can't hear it. I really want to, because if there was a nod to the theme in there I'd be so happy. I think there should've been a much more in your face thematic statement for... that scene. Missed opportunity...

On 12/22/2015 at 5:45 PM, KK. said:

The horns lead the opening tone of the melody, the violas finish it.

I can hear it a little bit now, at least the viola half. The horns are very hard to make out over the strings, and even the violas seem... is it not possible that this is a coincedence? No matter how many times I listen to it, nothing shouts "han solo and the princess" to me. maybe only a whisper, but don't you think if they wanted to put the theme there theyd have put it there in an obvious way? I mean, its a verry emotional scene and why would they go for subtlety in that scenario? having the theme play in a big way  at this point seems like it would amplify the emotion a lot more than a subtle, no less than subtle almost barely noticeable, conspiracy theory-grasping at strings type way? everyone and their mother would know han solo's theme is playing when he bites the lightsaber, instead of a few dozen enthusiasts with a finer ear than most?

17 hours ago, danielnrg said:

I can hear it a little bit now, at least the viola half. The horns are very hard to make out over the strings, and even the violas seem... is it not possible that this is a coincedence? No matter how many times I listen to it, nothing shouts "han solo and the princess" to me. maybe only a whisper, but don't you think if they wanted to put the theme there theyd have put it there in an obvious way? I mean, its a verry emotional scene and why would they go for subtlety in that scenario? having the theme play in a big way  at this point seems like it would amplify the emotion a lot more than a subtle, no less than subtle almost barely noticeable, conspiracy theory-grasping at strings type way? everyone and their mother would know han solo's theme is playing when he bites the lightsaber, instead of a few dozen enthusiasts with a finer ear than most?

I'm having trouble hearing it as well. I kind of do but my ears aren't grabbing onto it. 

Yes it's definitely there. It's very obvious to me. Not sure why you're struggling to hear it. Though I admit that on first listen I didn't catch it, but when it was pointed out, I can't un-hear it. It's subtle because a grand statement of it wouldn't work I don't think. It's not about Han and Leia, it's about Ren and Han directly, so having a love theme between father and son would be a bit too incesty scoring even for Star Wars. I think the quiet, defeated rendition under the main tragic theme of the scene works perfectly, especially when it cuts to Leia's reaction.

I don't think it is obvious, and I thought it was a coincidence as well, for a while, until I saw that it specifically played over the reaction shot of Leia, which changed my mind.  I probably never would have heard it without people here pointing it out.

4 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Death Star motif reference at 1:08 on The Abduction OST?

0:23 on Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle reminds me of that motif as well, though not quite as much.

Yeah I definitely hear it in the Abduction. Nice.

Terrific work Mr Faleel! I hadn't ever realised that the "Rebel Rhythm" at 1:56 in "Main Title/Blockade Runner" is then the basis for a variant which opens "Imperial Attack" and this is after over 35 years of listening to this score. Fascinating!

I'm also fascinated with the idea entitled "Unkown" which makes it's appearance in "Hologram/Binary Sunset" as well as the alternate Binary Sunset cue. As a matter of fact it makes it's first statement straight away at the very start of "Hologram/Binary Sunset" at 0:00 although slightly transposed down. It's this kind of unearthing I ADORE having been listening to this score since age 10

when I received the tape as a Christmas present. It's been a musical refuge throughout my life. 

I've just noticed "Unkown" again! It can be heard in a brass statement at 0:32 in "Landspeeder Search/Attack of the Sandpeople". How fascinating! 

And yes you are right about a variant of a Sandpeople motif appearing at 0:45 into "Tales of a Jedi Knight". I hadn't noticed that either.  Most interesting! 

Also the variants of the Dies Irae "In Peril" idea appearing in "Destruction of Alderaan" are something I hadn't noticed before. Wow. 

God I'd never noticed the "Rebel Rhythm" in the Death Star cue! Repeating that short motif from much earlier in the picture. Fascinating! 

The fanfare at the beginning of the FYC version of "Snoke" and the fanfare for the reveal of the star destroyer (Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village @ 1:35): pretty much the same, yeah? Some sort of First Order fanfare? It also seems like the low string figure at 4:12 in the end credits has something to do with this motif.

3 hours ago, Henry Buck said:

The fanfare at the beginning of the FYC version of "Snoke" and the fanfare for the reveal of the star destroyer (Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village @ 1:35): pretty much the same, yeah? Some sort of First Order fanfare? It also seems like the low string figure at 4:12 in the end credits has something to do with this motif.

Yeah I pointed out a while back that it seems like a motif for the new Star Destroyer, depending on the shot accompanying the FYC Snoke track. Can't remember exactly what was on screen at that point.

I didn't notice the connection to those strings in the end credits though! Nice. Definitely a thematic idea that he can carry over and grow in the next 2 films.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

depending on the shot accompanying the FYC Snoke track. Can't remember exactly what was on screen at that point.

An exterior shot of the Starkiller base.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

An exterior shot of the Starkiller base.

Right okay. Guess it's a motif for the First Order then.

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I doubt Williams would write a theme for a Star Destroyer.

I'm sure it's supposed to be more of a bad guys motif/First Order motif.

Williams wrote a motif for the Death Star and with Starkiller gone, the new Star Destroyer is the main threat in fire-power. But yeah I agree now knowing which shot accompanies the FYC Snoke track.

I had a great time last night listening to ANH in relation to trying to find all of these ciphers. I played it again for the thousandth time (I never get sick of this music) and noticed the following points. 

Mos Eisley Spaceport

0:31

+

Ben Kenobi's Death

1:17  

This is the same Variation of Ben's Theme. I only just noticed this last night. It's just an embellishment really. 

X Wings Draw Fire

3:28

A tiny statement of the Death Star Motif on Trombones and Trumpets with a brief appearance of Vader on the Death Star. 

And finally. In the "Use the Force" section of The Last Battle at 4:38 there is an allusion to the Imperial Motif as Tarkin refuses the offer of an escape route out. 

I'd be fascinated if anyone else can find any other motifs woven and hidden into the score. I look forward to Mr Faleel's breakdown of Empire and Jedi. 

On 1/22/2016 at 8:27 AM, Sharky said:

Has the Battle of Hoth thematic material been addressed?

Like this?

0:10 Luke's Theme (A Section)
0:40 Imperial March Rhythm
0:54 Imperial March
1:20 Imperial March
1:42 Imperial March
3:06 Imperial March
3:13 The Rolling Thunder
3:14 Rebel Fanfare
3:27 Luke's Theme (A Section)
4:02 Imperial Walkers
4:30 Snowspeeders