The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Oooo wait a tic, there's a definite Phantom Menace vibe to the beginning of Finn's Confession.

It's from Talk of Podracing

Anybody else think Rey's(?) theme is reminiscient of Night at the Museum main theme? When I saw the film that's what kept coming to mind. I don't remember exactly why, I think it had to do with the chords. Could be wrong.

What a random inclusion...

Isn't that just a variant of Anakin's Theme though?

Strange for him to use it when The Quen confronts Nute and Rune....

CD arrived today, listened to the entire thing, just finished (I haven't seen the film yet so the following observations are just based on the OST). First of all -- this is an excellent score. I honestly cannot really see why so many people were disappointed with it. The first half of the score is almost entirely brilliant and a pure joy to listen to (some of the renditions of Rey's theme are just wonderful; her theme is definitely the best in this score, it actually reminds me a lot of Memoirs of a Geisha). The second half, while containing some spectacular moments, is not quite as great as the first, overall (although, again, there are plenty of great moments in it). I was really excited reading the descriptions of March of the Resistance, as I love Williams in fugal mode. However, I was a bit disappointed by it. The structure and orchestrations of the piece were terrific, but I found the melody not quite as good as I had hoped. For me, the most memorable (new) thematic ideas throughout the score were Rey's theme and that action motif (is it the one people are calling Finn's theme?). This score is not particularly "hummable," but I'm fine with that. I don't think that's a good way to judge this lovely score from the maestro. This score is certainly one to cherish.

Snoke > Palpatine's Teachings.

You millennial younglings fall for every gimmick in the book. "Oh my gash, rubbed gongs!"

Snoke sounds like the chorus is lighting candles in preparation for a sacrifice. But I grant you, Palpatine's Teaching sounds more EPIC!

I prefer it as well. Snoke's music is primitive, actually a bit disturbing, rather than just "top spooky bad guy music" which was what Palpatine got. Not that that wasn't appropriate, I just like the Snoke angle more.

"Snoke" seems darker and weirder than "Palpatine's Teachings" and I find it very unsettling.

As in, "It's effective" unsettling? or "It disturbs me and makes me not like it" kind unsettling?

Imperfections sometimes makes a song immortal they say.

Well, there are at least two on the album.

Rey's Theme @ 00:20 (a little delay on the 3rd beat)

The Ways of The Force @ 1:30 (a bad edit or just a wanted "burst"*?)

* English is not my first language. sorry... Sometimes I need Google translate and I don't think I have always the right word!

I just finished my first spin of the CD. I think this is my favorite non-hummable score ever. This is a lovely, lovely accomplishment. I'm proud of the Maestro.

I just finished my first spin of the CD. I think this is my favorite non-hummable score ever. This is a lovely, lovely accomplishment. I'm proud of the Maestro.

You'll hum it... YOU WILL HUM IT.

yoda-you-will-be01.jpg

I don't get this whole "non-hummable" thing. The score is perfectly hummable even after one or two listens.

I noticed a couple of edits during the opening cue after the Main Title. I figure there's some stuff we heard on the sessions video that goes in there we're missing could give it a better flow.

I prefer Snoke to Palpatine's Teachings. I can barely listen to Palpatine's Teachings as music, more like vocal sound effects. Snoke has more clearly defined notes and also has a more quasi-religious feel to it.

Anyway, too "Tibetan monks" for me! :P

Can I say here that I see the "SPOILER ALLOWED" thread name with great envy?

I can resist. I can resist. Concentrate... breathe...

star-wars-episode-i-phantom-menace-jedi-

The Ways of The Force @ 1:30 (a bad edit or just a wanted burst?)

I noticed that too, figured it was an edit. There's an earlier edit in that track @ 0:11 that's a bit worse.

What's wierd is that the comparing the film to the OST, there does not really seem to be any music missing there...

Finn's Confession is a wonderful track. On the point of hummability, I constantly find myself humming Finn's theme. Rey's is a bit harder I find myself confusing it with the theme in Jedi Steps, but once I hear it again, it brings back memories of PoA.

Does anyone think March of the Resistance has a similar quality to the end of Journey to the Island from JP? Thr bit where they arrive at the visitor center?

Does anyone think March of the Resistance has a similar quality to the end of Journey to the Island from JP? Thr bit where they arrive at the visitor center?

Yep, that bit in JTtI is a theme in JP.

Kylo Ren's theme has really grown on me since seeing the film. Hearing his music blaring over the sound system in the movie theater really makes a lasting impression and now I really appreciate how JW uses Kylo's theme to great effect. It's old school Hollywood bad guy music and has another haunted component that comes into play.

My 2c on first listen..

It doesn't sound auto-pilot but "overall" I don't hear any magic.. a bit like Tintin. Functional but not really compelling me to listen again and again like original triology or prequels.

The main problem I have when comparing to ROTS and AOTC is that in those I felt each track was entirely listenable interesting piece. With FA each track seems to be in 2 or 3 parts sometimes with direct quotes from original trilogy. Overall there seems a lack of identity moving from idea to idea to idea. This maybe intentional on JJ Abrahms part. When you go from idea to idea the whole track seems to lack focus. Again, Tintin and War horse to me sounded focused but FA doesn't.. the long "new" melodic lines are not there it's more motivic.

Also there is something wrong with the recording, the sound is flat. Brass and strings are too closely miked and acoustic is too dry IMHO, you can't fix it by adding artificial reverb it just muddys sound. Tintin had this problem aswell.

I hate to make these critisims, but I'm being honest!

My 2c on first listen..

It doesn't sound auto-pilot but "overall" I don't hear any magic.. a bit like Tintin. Functional but not really compelling me to listen again and again like original triology or prequels.

The main problem I have when comparing to ROTS and AOTC is that in those I felt each track was entirely listenable interesting piece. With FA each track seems to be in 2 or 3 parts sometimes with direct quotes from original trilogy. Overall there seems a lack of identity moving from idea to idea to idea. This maybe intentional on JJ Abrahms part. When you go from idea to idea the whole track seems to lack focus. Again, Tintin and War horse to me sounded focused but FA doesn't.. the long "new" melodic lines are not there it's more motivic.

Also there is something wrong with the recording, the sound is flat. Brass and strings are too closely miked and acoustic is too dry IMHO, you can't fix it by adding artificial reverb it just muddys sound. Tintin had this problem aswell.

I hate to make these critisims, but I'm being honest!

Same here.

I'd say this JW's least original score since Chamber of Secrets.

The Resistance March is surprisingly double edged. On some listens it feels nobly defiant, yet on others it sounds like John lost his marbles with some quirky nonsense. I like it?

I created my own 'listening experience' playlist, trimming the fat, as follows:

1. Main Title & The Attack on Jakku Village

2. The Scavenger

3. Rey Meets BB-8

4. March of the Resistance

5. Rey's Theme

6. Finn's Confession

7. Han and Leia

8. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle

9. The Abduction

10. On the Inside

11. Torn Apart

12. Scherzo for X-Wings

13.The Ways of the Force

14. Farewell & The Trip

15. The Jedi Steps & Finale

(Representing the film, it really just misses a sense of the action music accompanying the various Falcon detours that get us to Takodana, but personally I don't think it's strong enough. I'm also annoyed that the flutes fade out at the end of the "Falcon" track.)

Kylo Ren's theme has really grown on me since seeing the film. Hearing his music blaring over the sound system in the movie theater really makes a lasting impression and now I really appreciate how JW uses Kylo's theme to great effect. It's old school Hollywood bad guy music and has another haunted component that comes into play.

Indeed! My favorite instance being the blaring one in "On the Inside" with the drums thundering. The close up of Ren that accompanied it made for a bad ass moment of film and music interaction.