The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

An easy way for the OST to be better would be if he dropped The Rathtars (since its similar enough to Follow Me and The Falcon) and instead included the cue for the Resistance arriving on Maz's planet

Wouldn't Scherzo for X-Wings be another concert suite?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25881&p=1202870

I felt that the cue name would give it away as being some sort of suite..

The definition of scherzo: a vigorous, light, or playful composition, typically comprising a movement in a symphony or sonata.

I believe the End Credits in the film was very different than Finale on the OST. It should be pretty feasible to rip it from the film when the time comes, even The Jedi Steps. Would be nice to have the film version. Been checking Disney's FYC site every hour to see when they update their music page for The Force Awakens. Can't wait.

An easy way for the OST to be better would be if he dropped The Rathtars (since its similar enough to Follow Me and The Falcon) and instead included the cue for the Resistance arriving on Maz's planet

Or just edited a new version that combined them into an awesome album suite. The OST doesn't have any of those, does it? It seems like all the recordings are intact.

Yes I know, it is indeed definitely a concert arrangement, but the first minute or so is similar to the film cue. Hence why Williams placed it there on the OST. But yes, technically, its a concert arrangement, just based on a film cue, kinda like The Forest Battle.

Anwyays, "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" is a film cue. Album names in and of themselves don't tell you anything, especially by Williams.

Or just edited a new version that combined them into an awesome album suite. The OST doesn't have any of those, does it? It seems like all the recordings are intact.

Several album tracks contain 2 different cues in them, but they seem to always be 2 cues that play back to back in the film anyway (see The Scavenger and Han and Leia).

I guess he chose to put the March of the Resistance concert arrangement on there instead of a suite of film cues that use that theme

Poe and his X-Wings arriving at Maz's place combined with the Falcon crash landing on the snowy cliff could have made for a great combined action cue containing the march, Poe's theme and the Rebel (Falcon) fanfare. It would have been about 2 minutes, although it wouldn't have been chronological.

I guess the point is its hard to have an authoritative breakdown of the music the very next day after the album and film have been released. Give it time.

Poe and his X-Wings arriving at Maz's place combined with the Falcon crash landing on the snowy cliff could have made for a great combined action cue containing the march, Poe's theme and the Rebel (Falcon) fanfare. It would have been about 2 minutes, although it wouldn't have been chronological.

Yea, exactly. That would have been cool if he did that.

I still think it is extraordinary that a Star Wars OST has only a two or three minutes of highlights from the movie missing. I definitely wouldn't have predicted that given our experiences with the prequels.

Now there are probably some gems hidden away in the hour or so of recorded music not used in either album or movie, but not having those isn't as painful as hearing great music in the movie that isn't on the OST.

Oh I think it IS more "paintful" (not the word I would use)

At least we'll get what we'll hear in the film via BD rips, if not an FYC release

We don't even KNOW what's in that hour of unheard score!

So, what's the chronological order? And could anyone tell the cue titles of 1m1A in the 60 minutes featurette on YouTube?

It's hard to tell due to the low resolution, but the best I can make out is "Opening | Starry Night".

Can anyone comment if there seems to be any thematic content in the opening, soft-stringed part of "Torn Apart," specifically the first two minutes? That seemed like an excellent opportunity to do variations on some of the themes, but it seems to be athematic. Perhaps I am mistaken.

T-Rex Rescue and Finale is basically an entire action track build around the carnivore motif.

Sure, but there's a heck of a lot more than the raptors motif going on in that cue. An unchanging discordant 4 note phrase repeated sporadically for 7 minutes doesn't put T-Rex Rescue and Finale in anywhere near the same ballpark as something like Abandoned and Pursued, The Hunt, or The Asteroid Field - cues which have a strong overarching harmonic narrative. Simply put: T-Rex Rescue and Finale NEVER sounds like a concert arrangement.

I agree Steef, though I might be one of the few here who liked some of the eclectic elements of the prequels.

It's a very bare-bones SW score, but a fully functional one nonetheless, much like the later Goldsmith output, as Chaac mentioned.

It's sparse but not quite late Goldsmith sparse. There's an unusual (for Williams) sonic "patina" to this music. The string/brass predominance is definite and gives the whole thing a unique sort of atmosphere. 21st century baroque? And yet there's a lot of isolated color, very subtle stuff. Orchestrated in many ways differently than you would expect from him. There's real freshness in that aspect at least, even if compositionally there's nothing that out of the ordinary.

Today it really hit home how well performed the score is. So many wonderful little moments that are played to perfection.

It doesnt sound like the LSO, but it doesnt have to. This is just marvellously played.

Well duh! ;)

Can anyone comment if there seems to be any thematic content in the opening, soft-stringed part of "Torn Apart," specifically the first two minutes? That seemed like an excellent opportunity to do variations on some of the themes, but it seems to be athematic. Perhaps I am mistaken.

I wanna know this too. Don't you die on me, Taiko!

hopefully those are on the FYC album

When has a Williams FYC ever contained unreleased cues? (not counting A.I., which I believe I read was a manufacturing error)

Best we can hope for is a War Horse situation, where we get film takes of each cue.

The Resistance March reminds me the fugue part of Walton's "Spitfire prelude and fugue" and a bit of the german motif on IJTLC, anyway, I finally enjoy the CD, I am awaiting the expended/complete release :)

In a Giacchino score that melody would be halved in development and used to carry the entire movie.

And people on here would create threads about how fantastic it is, and how he's great.