The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

8 minutes ago, Drax said:

Filmtracks will probably spend 15 enormous paragraphs rambling on about how it offers nothing innovative, but it's fine if you want to revisit familiar territory in the composer's bag of tricks. And maybe four stars.

And to add insult to injury, he'll note the 2015 Giacchino scores' "superiority"!  After all, they have far more moments of epic tonal bombast!

I've listened to the OST a bunch of times now and seen the film twice.

While I was never disappointed with the music, as some seem to have been, the description of this score being a "grower" is definitely accurate. For me, it's gone from being a fairly solid if slightly more subdued Star Wars score to being an absolute knock-out.

Highlights for me have been Rey's theme - it's a breath of fresh air and seems unlike any other Star Wars theme to me. I also love Kylo Ren's motif, perhaps especially as it appears in the first track with the extra brass flourishes as his shuttle lands. The Jedi Steps is possibly my favourite Star Wars finale to date and I can't wait to hear what Williams might do with this theme in future.

I think the whole thing sounds amazing too. The recording and mastering is so clear without sounding harsh. Best sounding score I have heard in a very long time.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You still defend him?

I don't really enjoy his reviews anymore, because we both clearly look for different things now in the music (as evidenced by some of his "stranger" opinions). But what he does still works well enough for his target audience, so I'm not going to really engage in trash-talking him.

6 hours ago, KK. said:

When it comes to Williams or Desplat, Pope's enthusiasm is boundless, sometimes amusingly so. It's to be expected.

Hehe, I just noticed Austin Wintory sort of "called him out" on it :P

Screen_Shot_2015_12_21_at_7_11_57_PM.png

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

His tastes are even more limited then mine!

I wouldn't say that. He's definitely more open-minded than some of the old coots here.

But some of the principles he judges music by are rather outdated. But I guess if you see it as him arguing from the perspective of someone just getting into film music, it's a fair way to go, especially since that's largely the target audience for Filmtracks.

5 minutes ago, KK. said:

I don't really enjoy his reviews anymore, because we both clearly look for different things now in the music (as evidenced by some of his "stranger" opinions). But what he does still works well enough for his target audience, so I'm not going to really engage in trash-talking him.

He can be lazy and I wonder how much he actually listens. His Star Wars OT reviews all pretty much say the 1997 SEs have the best sound quality and I think mentioned that the RotJ OST had the worst. Dafuq?!

Anyone get a little Michael Kamen Die Hard/Lethal Weapon vibe in "Kylo Ren Arrives at the  Battle" around 1:20? It only lasts for about 14 seconds, but I love it!

I realized something - this is one of the few Star Wars OSTs where the first track only contains music from the opening of the film, and doesn't jump forward to other stuff midway through!

Star Wars -> Jumped to the End Credits

Empire -> Jumped to the Mynock Cave cue

Phantom -> Jumped to a later Naboo cue (oi, its been a while now, I forget what scene it is!)

Clones -> Jumped to some Kamino cues

This is only the third one after Jedi and Sith to only feature music from the opening!  And its really cool music too!

Hi, this is my first post here! So happy I`ve found the JWFan Community!

I`ve managed to read this thread and have my two cents to tell.

I watched the movie twice ( at the same day ), then first thing I`ve done was playing Rey`s Theme on the piano. I`m happy, that we have original piano cue in SW score. Ok, it is short, but still nice. Second thing was buying the soundtrack. I can`t stop hearing it! I got chills every time on flute solo in Scavenger, the whole Rey`s Theme with it elaboration along the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. I loved the March of the Resistance from the appearance in the movie ( and this night I must get it under my finger including fugue part ). I like Action/Finn`s theme alot. There`s mindblowing 11/16 ( or 6/8 + 5/8 ) meter! Sound a little like Prokofiew to me. And Torn Apart is so tragic and intimate.

I have never listened to a SW score from beginning to the end, but TFA got me. It is just perfect for me! 

I have a question though. I read, that Kylo Ren has two themes. The "evil" one ( e-d#- g#-b-d# ) and the "tragic" one ( e-e-e-e-d#-d#-c ) Is the second one not the First Order Theme? Or second Kylo`s theme is something different?

Another one question I have regarding Jedi Steps, but it can contain spoiler. Where is the spoiler thread? 

1 hour ago, klavierart said:

Hi, this is my first post here! So happy I`ve found the JWFan Community!

I`ve managed to read this thread and have my two cents to tell.

I watched the movie twice ( at the same day ), then first thing I`ve done was playing Rey`s Theme on the piano. I`m happy, that we have original piano cue in SW score. Ok, it is short, but still nice. Second thing was buying the soundtrack. I can`t stop hearing it! I got chills every time on flute solo in Scavenger, the whole Rey`s Theme with it elaboration along the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. I loved the March of the Resistance from the appearance in the movie ( and this night I must get it under my finger including fugue part ). I like Action/Finn`s theme alot. There`s mindblowing 11/16 ( or 6/8 + 5/8 ) meter! Sound a little like Prokofiew to me. And Torn Apart is so tragic and intimate.

I have never listened to a SW score from beginning to the end, but TFA got me. It is just perfect for me! 

I have a question though. I read, that Kylo Ren has two themes. The "evil" one ( e-d#- g#-b-d# ) and the "tragic" one ( e-e-e-e-d#-d#-c ) Is the second one not the First Order Theme? Or second Kylo`s theme is something different?

Another one question I have regarding Jedi Steps, but it can contain spoiler. Where is the spoiler thread? 

I feel like the second Kylo theme you mention is more like a tragic theme for the loss of Ben. I think it's played once in a scene with Han and Leia discussing him, but I can't be sure.

Also just FYI the main Kylo motif actually has a descending augmented 4th not a perfect 5th, so as in your example (g# minor), the first note would actually be d# and the second is c double sharp.

Not sure if we can talk about Spoilers here, but SPOILER!! I too believe the Kylo Ren's two themes serve very different purposes (even though they are relatively similar). His main villainous theme is clearly for his evil actions, whereas his secondary theme is a more tragic, more desperate motif that chronicles his final fall into darkness. It does play tragically in the piece 'Han and Leia' at 3:44 which I believe is the scene where Han says to Leia that "I saw him, Leia. I saw our son."

Is it possible the sad/tragic theme is Kylo Ren's theme, and the more simpler villainous one is actually a theme for the First Order?

Just now, Jay said:

Is it possible the sad/tragic theme is Kylo Ren's theme, and the more simpler villainous one is actually a theme for the First Order?

Not really. There are very specific moments where Ren arrives or does something and his main first theme plays. E.g. when he is walking alone fast down a hallway, when he arrives on Jakku and when he arrives at Maz's bar.

I think Williams (if he returns) will drop his secondary tragic theme moving forward, considering what happened with him, and his main villainous theme will take most of his weight, and will develop into a long form piece with more evil bells and whistles.

Well it's not uncommon for Williams to drop, or significantly reduce the use of themes for a new chapter of the story. We might not see some of the new themes like The Resistance March again in future instalments.

If Williams scores all 3 episodes, I expect all the TFA themes to return, at least in Episode 8.

Rey, Finn, Poe - they're all still around

The Resistance - still around

Ren's 2 themes - depends on where they take his character, I guess.

It's possible. but...

The droid theme from TESB, gone from ROTJ

Boba Fett's theme, gone after TESB

The Imperial Theme, replaced by The Imperial March after Star Wars.

Leia's Theme, severely reduced use after Star Wars, more or less replaced by 2 other themes.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's possible. but...

The droid theme from TESB, gone from ROTJ

Boba Fett's theme, gone after TESB

The Imperial Theme, replaced by The Imperial March after Star Wars.

Leia's Theme, severely reduced use after Star Wars, more or less replaced by 2 other themes.

You can add Anakin's Theme to that list... How often did it appear after TPM...?

I think Rey's, Poe's and the Resistance March are basically 100% returning themes. Finn may earn a melodic theme rather than the action motif, and Kylo Ren will continue with his main theme in a grander, more drawn out way. I think Luke will adopt a new theme (perhaps the Jedi Steps theme as his new spiritual master theme) and will rarely, if ever really go back to using the main titles for himself.

And BB-8 will adopt the Imperial March  as his ringtone.

1 minute ago, Sandor said:

You can add Anakin's Theme to that list... How often did it appear after TPM...?

I understand that fully though as it was more of a childish wonderment theme, which wouldn't have fit Ep2 and 3, though it did return in subtle moments in Ep 2.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I think Rey's, Poe's and the Resistance March are basically 100% returning themes. Finn may earn a melodic theme rather than the action motif, and Kylo Ren will continue with his main theme in a grander, more drawn out way. I think Luke will adopt a new theme (perhaps the Jedi Steps theme as his new spiritual master theme) and will rarely, if ever really go back to using the main titles for himself.

And BB-8 will adopt the Imperial March  as his ringtone.

I understand that fully though as it was more of a childish wonderment theme, which wouldn't have fit Ep2 and 3, though it did return in subtle moments in Ep 2.

As I understood, the original idea was to have the theme morph from an innocent piece into something more dark, possible even The Imperial March by the time we reach the climax of ROTS. A wonderful concept which never came to be...

14 hours ago, Bowie said:

I feel like the second Kylo theme you mention is more like a tragic theme for the loss of Ben. I think it's played once in a scene with Han and Leia discussing him, but I can't be sure.

Also just FYI the main Kylo motif actually has a descending augmented 4th not a perfect 5th, so as in your example (g# minor), the first note would actually be d# and the second is c double sharp.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Not sure if we can talk about Spoilers here, but SPOILER!! I too believe the Kylo Ren's two themes serve very different purposes (even though they are relatively similar). His main villainous theme is clearly for his evil actions, whereas his secondary theme is a more tragic, more desperate motif that chronicles his final fall into darkness. It does play tragically in the piece 'Han and Leia' at 3:44 which I believe is the scene where Han says to Leia that "I saw him, Leia. I saw our son."

I suppose, both of you are right.  Now I see. Ben = tragic theme, Ren = the evil one. For me it is even more tragic with both descending semiton first and aug. 4th ( thanks, Bowie, my bad. In the End Title both of theme from the 4.28 are in c#minor, so it is g# f## c# e g# )

So it is like I can ask here, no such big spoiler here. I feel Jedi Steps like new Old Luke or Hermit Luke theme. It is very distinctive, soft and sad. I feel nervous about second flute rendition of it. It is not a "blend", it is a clue for me. There could be strings or french horn only, but no, there Rey's flute. 

What about Snoke, do we think he will drop the voices heard here for Episode 8 and go for something more substantial when we actually see him and not through a hologram?

I still want to know the lyrics for Snoke, they could actually reveal something!

Yeah I believe Luke will have a new theme (The Jedi Steps) as his Master teacher theme and wont revert back to the main titles.

Just now, Lewya said:

What about Snoke, do we think he will drop the voices heard here for Episode 8 and go for something more substantial when we actually see him and not through a hologram?

I still want to know the lyrics for Snoke, they could actually reveal something!

I think there is a definite on purpose intention of connecting Plagueis and Snoke musically. So he will develop the sinister ancient sound.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Not sure if we can talk about Spoilers here, but SPOILER!! I too believe the Kylo Ren's two themes serve very different purposes (even though they are relatively similar). His main villainous theme is clearly for his evil actions, whereas his secondary theme is a more tragic, more desperate motif that chronicles his final fall into darkness.

Spoiler

It does play tragically in the piece 'Han and Leia' at 3:44 which I believe is the scene where Han says to Leia that "I saw him, Leia. I saw our son."

Oy! At least use spoiler tags!

"Rendezvous on Tatooine" definitely doesn't use the TESB droid theme.  The TESB droid theme doesn't appear anywhere in ROTJ.

13 minutes ago, Drax said:

Hidden Content

:o

P.S.: Great. Now, when you quote a post with spoilers in it, it just replaces the spoiler with the text "Hidden Content". This new version just keeps on getting better and better!

Hi everybody, newbie here.

John Williams is a big part of my love for SW.....but I'm not a scholar in classical music.

Question for all the soundtrack experts here

Could the theme starting at 0.41 here be the same beautiful theme starting at 0:26 of the same trailer and at 1:12 of The Jedi and Steps and Finale ?

Could the trailer version be a more intense, heroic version of the the theme vs the more sinister version heard in the official soundtrack.

I think the "The Jedi Steps" theme will be more prominent in the next 2 movies.

On 22/12/2015 at 2:52 AM, bondo said:

Anyone get a little Michael Kamen Die Hard/Lethal Weapon vibe in "Kylo Ren Arrives at the  Battle" around 1:20? It only lasts for about 14 seconds, but I love it!

I too love those 11/8 scurrying string passages. Indeed, I love the 11/8 usage throughout the score - works so well at highlighting tension and the odd meter draws your attention more to the music during the film also.