The Force Awakens SCORE Discussion (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Thor

I wonder if there is some prominent use of synth in the score? Like in Padme's Ruminations?

Couldn't hear any, but could have been buried in the sound mix.

How's the music for when Finn takes off his helmet at the beginning? ;)

No idea if that's something you would remember, but John Boyega said he was very excited about that bit.

Good question. I can't remember. I guess it was the first appearance of "Finn's Theme", but that is among the weakest themes anyway.

This is sounding not good.

I think it will be very well liked, hopefully including myself, and I think the album will give us a much better overview of the score. This is just first impressions from watching the film once (from one guy).

And we should be reminded the film mix and edits don't normally carry over to the album, which often has cues recorded separately.

So Rey's theme is as we heard it in the ABC TV spot?

Yes, but it goes on a bit longer.

hahahahaha

Correct me on this, but isn't "The Immolation Scene" from ROTS just Anakin's Theme trying to "form" and failing?

Thor - thanks so much for the insight and comments on the music. Did you catch any similarities in Rey's theme and its underlying chords with other original themes? (ala Anakin's theme having similar root as the imperial theme)

Thor - thanks so much for the insight and comments on the music. Did you catch any similarities in Rey's theme and its underlying chords with other original themes? (ala Anakin's theme having similar root as the imperial theme)

Only in a general sense, in that it fits the style and tone of the more romantic STAR WARS music. The similarity that the video above mentions passed me by, I must admit. But there were some other aspects to it that has a sort of significance.

Some more questions; Does The Force Theme get new major renditions other than the one heard in the recording session video?

Is that new Rebel theme you mentioned the same thing as The March of the Resistance? Did you also like that poster on FSM think the new march was disappointing? What was it like?

"Imperial March" only appears once, briefly, in a slow version for a particular scene.

"The Force Theme" gets quite a few workouts in the film -- sometimes just a statement of the first bar, other times at least two bars. I love the version in the "End Credits", in particular (if memory serves).

I LOVED the "rebel theme", as I call it -- one of the few musical setpieces in the film, especially its first proper introduction. So I don't really agree with that FSM poster, no. I have no idea if it's the same as the "March of the Resistance". It has a bold brass melody, and a steadfast beat that isn't just whimsical cymbal crashes and string/flute flourishes

Aren't most of you guys seeing this film tomorrow?

Thor, just wondering if those early session descriptions ended up true. These two specifically:

"One notable piece that everyone brings up is a jazzy swing/big band number that is supposedly really catchy." This one may have been replaced by Miranda's song.

"There is also a piece mentioned by multiple sources that is described as a cantilena, an operatic piece, with sustained lyrics dragged out over the melody. This piece is described as one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music John Williams have ever written for a Star Wars film and appears to be tied to the snow planet."

Thor, just wondering if those early session descriptions ended up true. These two specifically:

"One notable piece that everyone brings up is a jazzy swing/big band number that is supposedly really catchy." This one may have been replaced by Miranda's song.

"There is also a piece mentioned by multiple sources that is described as a cantilena, an operatic piece, with sustained lyrics dragged out over the melody. This piece is described as one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music John Williams have ever written for a Star Wars film and appears to be tied to the snow planet."

Me thinks its fake

Me thinks its fake

I didn't hear a jazzy swing number, I'm afraid (unless you mean the cantina song by Miranda etc.).

Hmm....really? Could be, but then it must have been drowned in the sound mix.

This may be a silly question, but was the music from the official trailer (the special rendition of han and leia's theme, the force theme etc.) in the movie?

No, not that I can recall. But there were some other neat versions of the "Force" theme. Especially one showdown scene in the third act of the movie.

I forgot to ask, do we get to hear Han and Leias theme on choir? Or the Force Theme?

Nope.

I forgot to ask, do we get to hear Han and Leias theme on choir? Or the Force Theme?

Nope.

Damn. There seems to be very little choir then (unlike the prequels), just some choir for Snoke then it seems. Wonder what kind of lyrics he gets in Sanskrit... Maybe something like the Maul chant..