The United States Army Field Band Premieres Force Awakens Music Live

Jay

I'm not sure if its "Asteroid Field" level material, but that's a great performance! I wonder how much time they had with the arrangement.

I really like this tempo.

Yeah, funny how listening to the original after this it sounds sooo lethargic (to be expected really) but I think the speed really works better for the style of writing. But of course Williams is a bit beholden to the pacing of the scene.

I really like this tempo.

Yeah, funny how listening to the original after this it sounds sooo lethargic (to be expected really) but I think the speed really works better for the style of writing. But of course Williams is a bit beholden to the pacing of the scene.

The kind of writing of this piece demands a lighter tempo, otherwise, the long sustained notes of Luke's Theme slow down the movement, if only at a psychological level. I like that the conductor here took that decision.

I'm not sure if its "Asteroid Field" level material, but that's a great performance! I wonder how much time they had with the arrangement.

I do not understand these sorts of comparisons. the asteroid field is one of the best film cues ever composed. of course a given piece is not going to measure up to such a standard.

The Field Band actually released a produced video of this live performance. Not the best audio quality ever, but that room where they performed is notoriously poor, acoustically.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153261645616088&id=130380711087

The Field Band actually released a produced video of this live performance. Not the best audio quality ever, but that room where they performed is notoriously poor, acoustically.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153261645616088&id=130380711087

Thanks! It's now also on YouTube:

BTW I love this shot :lol:

post-3-0-22294100-1450496280.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On December 20, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Jay said:

YouTube seriously took your video down? How lame!

Seems to be back now.  I got the takedown notice and everything from them.  Weird.

Thanks for the info on it all Adrian, it was awesome!

• 2 months later...

It would have been nice to hear the concert version of Jedi steps, but this was great.  I really like the extension of Poe's theme in the finale. 

Really nice performance. I'm going to see the Richmond Symphony play a John Williams program next January and I really hope they at least include Rey's Theme.