What does everyone think of 'March of the Resistance'?

DarthDementous

The trumpets that herald Ren's arrival in the opening track are fucking spectacular. Those were literally the words that went through my head in the cinema when that moment happened. Bad-fucking-ass!

You said "The trumpets that herald Ren's arrival in the opening track are fucking spectacular" out loud in the theater?
I did specify those words were in my head. The music in the opening act is flawless Williams Star Wars scoring. I love, love, love the trumpet blasts that accompany his 5 note motif.

ANYONE who says his motif is unmemorable is an idiot. I had it ingrained in my head from that moment onwards because it was such an iconic musical flourish.

It's great in film! Listening to it now, it's grown on me. It's one of his more refined marches, though it certainly pulls a lot from his past stuff.

The theme reminds me of some of JW's music for NBC News (not the Mission theme) and his theme for the NBC Sunday Night Football but it is more fugal in progression.

It is really an extensive reworking of his Meet the Press theme. Like I said, best part of the soundtrack.

I love it over that shot of the X-Wings flying over the water. Really gets the adrenaline pumping.

That statement is one of the most balls out badass things Williams has written. You wouldn't call his music badass typically, it is too refined for that, but in this case it truly is badass.

This is what I wrote about the theme in another thread.

In the film proper, the two themes that pop the most are Rey and March Of The Resistance. The latter is absolutely badass, like sick badass. Its one of the most masculine and military themes written by Williams. When the X wings come from the resistance and the theme plays, I was like... wow look the swagger of the music for the heroes. Its superb.

I love it over that shot of the X-Wings flying over the water. Really gets the adrenaline pumping.

That statement is one of the most balls out badass things Williams has written. You wouldn't call his music badass typically, it is too refined for that, but in this case it truly is badass.

And that's why Williams decided to leave it out of the OST!

I thought that portion was tracked from the concert suite?

And that's why Williams decided to leave it out of the OST!

I thought that portion was tracked from the concert suite?

I don't recall the exact cue, but that scene is definitely scored. I didn't think it was just the suite edited into the film.

I just love part from 0:43 to 0:52 and i was missing another statement of that theme with french horns later in the piece, especially after woodwind part in 1:46 to 1:54. To find out "how would it be" I made an edited version of the March. Nothing spectacular as I am not proficient at such things. Treat it as a curiosity:

It's not bad for a fugue... but god it sounds just like the NBC Sunday night football theme in parts.

Sounds like something from Indiana Jones than Star Wars.

Orchestration - I think there is too much doubling,, probably too much trumpet horn and strings... In the 70's he wouldn't double so much.....that way you get that Bach sound.

It really is missing the first half of the melody. It detours away from itself too quickly. The descending notes at 0:20-21 need to continue firstly, and fall away to a lower emphatic "bum BA!" then go back and repeat the phrase continuing off where it does currently.

Usually when a great composer does something that makes you scratch your head and declare it "wrong," you hear it over and over, it gets stuck in your head, and you start to wonder why you didn't get it in the first place.

I reckon that'll be how many experience both this piece and the score as a whole.

Usually when a great composer does something that makes you scratch your head and declare it "wrong," you hear it over and over, it gets stuck in your head, and you start to wonder why you didn't get it in the first place.

I reckon that'll be how many experience both this piece and the score as a whole.

Absolutely agree, but in this case I think the orchestration could be more interesting. If you double horns tpt strings it gets a bit tiring on the ear. I find it weird that he didn't hire an orchestrator maybe there was ample time... Nuances like that really do differentiate JW from all the Remote Control composers.

I really found nothing 'hard to get' about this score. It's actually very straight and the few set pieces, like the one talked about here, are more like standing signposts while the rest moves along like a brisk journey (of Rey i suppose, haven' seen the movie).

In that respect i guess there's a distinct of Lucasian fuzziness on the screen.

I love this march. It's one of the pieces that I can't get out of my head right now... Including Rey's and Ren's theme.

Same. The first time I heard the score only Rey's theme was memorable. Now, after a couple more listens, I also have the resistance theme and Ren's (primary) theme stuck in my head.

When I first heard the March of the Resistance, I liked the fugal structure but I wasn't a big fan of the melody. Now I like everything about the piece.

Totally. I'm reminded of the Han/Princess theme in that regard. When you hear it dry, just as music, it doesn't necessarily sound like a love theme. But then you listen to it more and get the entire scope of what the theme represents, and the nature of their relationship. Through his choice of intervals, the theme does so much more than just cover as a representation of basic love.

Love it, especially from 2:01 to the end, being the bit from 2:13 to 2:17 particularly powerful. March of the resistance and, by extension, the whole album, has some of the depth, warmth, and charm from the old days, something that the music from the prequels lacks in my opinion.

2 hours ago, KK. said:

"The Resistance" from the FYC album = best rendition of this march. That building opening ostinato gives it just the drive it needs. Awesome stuff.

It's nice to finally have that part as it's played out during that scene in the movie.

On 20 December 2015 at 4:52 PM, Bowie said:

It really is missing the first half of the melody. It detours away from itself too quickly. The descending notes at 0:20-21 need to continue firstly, and fall away to a lower emphatic "bum BA!" then go back and repeat the phrase continuing off where it does currently.

On 20 December 2015 at 4:56 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

For those interested, this is what I was referring to by an additional statement of the theme before it ventures off. 

gzUjatBh.jpg

As it's currently written it still feels unfinished as a melody.

I see where you're coming from, but I think there's enough going on in those original 4 bars that it does not need a structure like you proposed. Williams is painting a sort of picture of a group of people preparing for battle, the idea is that it's supposed to sound 'militaristic' but a bit rushed and unorganized at the same time (hence the uneven time signature and sporadic modulations, for example). This is certainly not a typical march you would hear playing during a parade. When I hear this particular piece I sort of imagine that I'm walking around a Resistance base preparing for battle, and in one place I spot a group of people who are preparing a figher jet for takeoff, then I look somewhere else and I see another group of people putting on their weapons, I look somewhere else and I see another group of people...etc. Order and disorder at the same time.

lol well my laptop is out for the count at the moment so I had to resort to more traditional methods (if taking a photo and uploading from one's phone can be considered traditional).