Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

11 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

You know, it's not bad.  It's somewhat reminiscent of TMP which is always a good thing.  But when it starts to get wilder it's just the usual Giacchino shtick....

Goofy action is the best sort of action!

Star Trek would be cool as an R-rated, hyper-violent thriller, exploring the dark reaches of the universe but unwittingly coming across an alien planet inhabited by sadistic, murderous creatures that feast on human flesh.

Just sayin'.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Star Trek would be cool as an R-rated, hyper-violent thriller, exploring the dark reaches of the universe but unwittingly coming across an alien planet inhabited by sadistic, murderous creatures that feast on human flesh.

Just sayin'.

Didn't they already make that movie? It was called "Alien", I believe. :P

Ah yes, the old "what's wrong with a little fun?" argument.  As if fun and goofy are the same thing. 

The Golden Age of JWFan is truly ending it seems!

- Alex

13 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

There was a Golden Age? And this isn't it? Please enlighten me!

You of all people should know, Cadet Boelen. A poster cannot cheat quality. 
EDIT: Y'ouch, that was forced. Wish I could take this one back. 

41 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Please enlighten me!

No. 

You seem, based on recent posts, too inclined to introduce jagged and contentious qualities to conversations where opinions that don't gel with your own are thrown around. 

I'm content to avoid that now that I know. 

No worries. My posts over the past few days have been purely in jest.

Often I see a lot of seemingly quite silly discussions and arguments for argument's sake going on here, but generally don't bother to respond.

Even though I much prefer insightful discussion, positive feedback and interesting news,

as opposed to what sometimes appears as pointless negativity and stating the same thing in different threads over and over.

That's really boring to read through!

But since my attempts at sensible posts earlier this week clearly did not work, I wondered what the exact opposite was like.

Now I know. As an outsider just reading that stuff, it can be quite annoying at times. But being involved is hilarious. :P

Anyway... playtime is over. I'll stop being silly again. :sarcasm:

I'm seeing the film Thursday night at 7.... and maybe I won't have heard the OST before hand!  

Same thing happened a few weeks ago when I saw The BFG on that Thursday night at 7, and the OST for that only leaked a few hours beforehand....

Nice. Loving that new theme. I hope it plays the same purpose as he did with the other two films; by having the Kirk/Enterprise theme as the overarching theme, but having Spock's theme (in Trek 09) and Khan's theme (in Into Darkness) as the main important focus.

Spock's Theme was the main important focus of the ST09 score?  How?

And in STID, I would say Marcus' Theme is used more often than Khan's

Trek 09 was emotionally about Spock (ironic for a Vulcan) but the loss of his mother and planet and entire opening about his childhood struggles, and Nero wanting revenge against him and the inclusion of old spock etc. The first film was more about Spock than Kirk, and his theme was more developed across the film.

Into Darkness was all about Khan and whether he was good or bad etc. His theme had the biggest journey also from soft piano to mystery, to villainous to heroic to that fantastic battle of themes against Spocks theme that Giacchino did in 'San Fran Hustle'

3 hours ago, libraloco said:

Another clip! It sounds like the same melody as the choir clip, but with the orchestra this time. This sounds gorgeous!

Sounds John Powell-eque.  I like it.  

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Did Instagram extend the number of seconds they allow for videos?  Last I heard it was limited to 15 seconds.

Yes, I believe it's now limited to 60 seconds (which is fortunate for us)

14 minutes ago, Nic Cage Fugue said:

That new theme is quite beautiful. Reminds me of some of the more strident LOST themes. Thanks for posting.

And hi!

Agreed! And welcome to the forums! :)

20 minutes ago, Nic Cage Fugue said:

That new theme is quite beautiful. Reminds me of some of the more strident LOST themes. Thanks for posting.

And hi!

Welcome to the next level of consciousness. 

I reckon it might well be the first.  Powell, Desplat, and Giacchino himself (for Doctor Strange) are the only other big contenders.  Not weak competition at all, but a Bourne score might not really have the heft to carry the whole year, and I'm being cautions about Rogue One.

25 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I reckon it might well be the first.  Powell, Desplat, and Giacchino himself (for Doctor Strange) are the only other big contenders.  Not weak competition at all, but a Bourne score might not really have the heft to carry the whole year, and I'm being cautions about Rogue One.

Well, I know you're not much of a BFG fan, but as a big fan of that score I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the best score of 2016 in my book. 

Instagram should remove the video time limit cap for verified accounts

Avoiding listening to the clips to go into the film pure. So many others here always recommend that so I figured I'd try it for this film

Obviously I've seen a billion films where I hadn't heard it's ost CD beforehand.

But generally when a composer I love has a new album come out, I listen to it immediately, which is typically before the film's opened.

Yeah, we all do that. But then, I think, especially with composers you like the first album/clip experience can be often bit of a letdown. At least that's how I often feel after my first listens. And given the early response to The Force Awakens last year, it seems like expectations can be really bit of a mood spoiler. But watching the film first and having that context will make the using relatable straight away. Sure, there might be some editing/sequencing issues but it's still a better way to experience it -- in context. I mean, how many times the scores "improve" after seeing the film? Apparently The BFG (which I won't be seeing anyway) got better for many people after watching Spielberg's film.

Karol

22 hours ago, libraloco said:

Another clip! It sounds like the same melody as the choir clip, but with the orchestra this time. This sounds gorgeous!

According to the live stream on Facebook with Giacchino preparing with the orchestra, this theme represents "what the 5-year mission means." They played the theme in full, too--there's another climax that happens right when this clip cuts off. It sounds great!! I can't wait to hear it on the soundtrack!

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Avoiding listening to the clips to go into the film pure. So many others here always recommend that so I figured I'd try it for this film

Tell us what you think of going in like that afterwards, and if you think it positively improved the experience for you. If you wouldn't mind, that is.

I doubt it will affect the impact of the film at all for me, but it could impact how I feel about the score

Like I can't imagine the shock I would have had if I saw STID first and heard all the big blaring instances of Marcus' Theme, and then heard the OST and the theme only appeared one time in a subdued setting....  The other way around, I only knew about Khan's theme after hearing the OST and then going to see the film I was like "wait a minute, why is there this whole other theme here that wasn't on the CD?  Weird."

Seeing Interstellar having not heard the score made it such a more magical experience.  Everything was a revelation, not just the film itself.  We should all try to preserve that full experience for ourselves!