Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

... Says the guy listening to instagram videos of the latest Star Trek score :P

1 hour ago, libraloco said:

According to the live stream on Facebook with Giacchino preparing with the orchestra, this theme represents "what the 5-year mission means." They played the theme in full, too--there's another climax that happens right when this clip cuts off. It sounds great!! I can't wait to hear it on the soundtrack!

There was a live stream and I missed it? :( Is a replay available?

EDIT: Oh, this must be it! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153800324053716&id=7774903715

25 minutes ago, Will said:

There was a live stream and I missed it? :( Is a replay available?

EDIT: Oh, this must be it! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153800324053716&id=7774903715

That's the one! The piece starts around 9:00 but doesn't really get going until around 10:15-12:00. It also appears from 8:00-8:45.

31 minutes ago, Will said:

Nice!  I have a feeling Giacchino is wrong about STB being the first movie premiered with a live orchestra; not as embarrassing as Sam Smith thinking he was the first openly gay Oscar winner though :P

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nice!  I have a feeling Giacchino is wrong about STB being the first movie premiered with a live orchestra; not as embarrassing as Sam Smith thinking he was the first openly gay Oscar winner though :P

Yes, apparently a long time ago every movie was premiered that way, although it's possible Beyond is the first in several decades.

Just now, Will said:

Yes, apparently a long time ago every movie was premiered that way, although it's possible Beyond is the first in several decades.

Either way it's certainly cool as shit and I wish I could see it the first time this way!

By the way, that video is awesome. A must watch for any film score fan.

In terms of the music, everything in the first half or so of the video is terrific and everything after that is boring. 

Yea its a cool event, wish I could be there

All the cool stuff happens in London or California...

About 10:30 in, Giacchino stops and says "Actually, this is a fun cue, you might wanna watch this" and he was not lying.  Sounds really cool.

EDIT:

34 minutes ago, libraloco said:

That's the one! The piece starts around 9:00 but doesn't really get going until around 10:15-12:00. It also appears from 8:00-8:45.

And I just realized that's what you were talking about here.  I agree, great stuff!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

All the cool stuff happens in London or California...

Except for two Film Nights each year... ;)

Man, I love that 5 year mission theme. It feels so Giacchino and so Star Trek. It gives me the same joy that I get from listening to Goldsmith's various trek main themes. I definitely can see Beyond becoming my favourite score of his 3.

Photos from last night of the setup in San Diego:

So cool!

So for the actual premiere they will remove the giant tent so everyone can see the orchestra.

I wonder what time this starts. I haven't been able to find that info.

5 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Seeing Interstellar having not heard the score made it such a more magical experience.  Everything was a revelation, not just the film itself.  We should all try to preserve that full experience for ourselves!

I went into the IMAX at the Smithsonian completely blind to what I was about to see or hear and that theater experience is possibly the greatest of my life.

just got back, I liked it

more than Into Darkness (the movie that is, cant really compare scores since STID I heard score first)

some neat stuff in there though, a lot of nice choral sessions

The main villain has his own theme, which took me a while to notice

There's lovely music for the reveals of the spacebase Yorktown,

the crashing of the Enterprise and the reveal of Enterprise-A at the end of the movie

and I hope those are all on the CD

based on the track titles, they should be

also the end credits are just the same old creditmusic from the previous movies (remixed again a little), the Rihanna song and what I think is part of the Yorktown piece

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

also the end credits are just the same old creditmusic from the previous movies (remixed again a little), the Rihanna song and what I think is part of the Yorktown piece

:(

That would explain why the last track isn't the usual 8 minute theme suite.  I certainly don't mind the end credits being the same arrangement of the classic TOS music with his Trek theme added like in 09 and STID.  There's a certain other major sci-fi franchise that begins with 'Star' that uses the same end credits music every time as well...

I'm seeing the movie this evening, can't wait!

yeah going by tracktitles the album has no suites at all (Maybe Yorktown is a suite) and covers most of the beginning act and final act, and some pieces from the middle

edit: and I am pretty sure that earlier linked clip of the rehearsals is Yorktowns theme

also there's some Beastie Boys in the movie for the fans

@Disco Stu I don't have a problem with Giacchino using the same TOS arrangements at the beginning and end of the credits, but I'm a little annoyed with him keeping the last few minutes of the credits, the part with his theme, the same. There was some really terrific core material in 2009 that unfortunately even in STID was by far the strongest element in the score. Whereas in the second Star Wars it wouldn't have been so clear cut to say the ANH themes were the core and the best part -- I mean, we had the Imperial March! Hopefully this credits regurgitation in Beyond is not emblematic of continued reliance on those 2009 ideas to such a great degree.

Both Horner Trek scores used the exact same end credits, all the Goldsmith Trek scores from V on used the same ending arrangement too.

It's probably only the problem because Giacchino has a nice habit of composing end credits suites for many of his films. And the first score had a very good one.

Karol

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There's a certain other major sci-fi franchise that begins with 'Star' that uses the same end credits music every time as well...

Not really.

wasnt Star Trek Into Darkness' end credits not just the remix of To Boldly Go's beginning, London Calling, a segment from his Harrison suite, and the 2009 Main Theme?

the credits here (to my recollection) only repeat the start and the very end (the quick classic theme with the drum outro). I didnt hear the 2009 main theme this time

1 minute ago, MedigoScan said:

wasnt Star Trek Into Darkness' end credits not just the remix of To Boldly Go's beginning, London Calling, a segment from his Harrison suite, and the 2009 Main Theme?

the credits here (to my recollection) only repeat the start and the very end (the quick classic theme with the drum outro). I didnt hear the 2009 main theme this time

Really? Wow.

12 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

Not really.

I'm not talking about when it gets to the suite of new themes.  The performance of the main theme/rebel fanfare is superficially pretty much identical across all 7.

What I find really interesting about this score is that it actually quotes the B-section of the main theme in the score. It's the one that can be heard towards in first film's end credits suite.

Karol

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not talking about when it gets to the suite of new themes.  The performance of the main theme/rebel fanfare is superficially pretty much identical across all 7.

Aside from ROTS all the endings are different

In ESB the statement of the B-secrion of Luke's theme was replaced with Yoda's theme thru to the end

ROTJ also omits the B section and abruptly goes into the Parade of t Ewoks

In TPM it goes into that screechy picolo thing. 

AOTC is tracked

ROTS is basically a shorter Re-recording of the ANH suite credits

TFA omits some of the Rolling Thunder and Rebel Fanfare.

1 hour ago, Fennel Ka said:

Aside from ROTS all the endings are different

In ESB the statement of the B-secrion of Luke's theme was replaced with Yoda's theme thru to the end

ROTJ also omits the B section and abruptly goes into the Parade of t Ewoks

In TPM it goes into that screechy picolo thing. 

AOTC is tracked

ROTS is basically a shorter Re-recording of the ANH suite credits

TFA omits some of the Rolling Thunder and Rebel Fanfare.

TPM also added this cool little tag :P (at least I don't think it was in the OT)

Just out of curiosity, what is "Star Trek Main Theme"? In the last one, it was the 2009 theme but it seems too long to be that.

It's the final statement from the original end credits. Same as STID, I think. Bit of a waste of space, if you ask me. But I can see why it's there.

Karol