Michael Giacchino - STAR TREK BEYOND (2016)

Jay

I dont know about you, but I really enjoy his action material stuff for the 5th and 6th tracks

knowing the context helps

off the top of my head

- the music for Kirks 'comedy scene' with the aliens

-some dialogue music like when Kirk and Bones drink Chekovs booze
-maybe some stuff in Yorktown, when the alien lady shows up
- maybe some stuff in the battle of the Enterprise, that sequence was very long, but the soundtrack does give it 8 minutes of attention
- a LOT of stuff in the middle up until the gang reunites, mostly involving Krall and the action sequence in the destroyed enterprise. Pity I liked that part
- the battle scenes at yorktown with the swarm, before they destroy most of the swarm

I just can't get over how good Crash Decisions is!  Action cue of the year.

it was the musical climax of the movie for me certainly (well second one)

I like the recurring theme in it,

which i think was for the Franklin

36 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

How can you hear the score when it isn't released for another week?

Also it releases digitally tomorrow. Physically next week.

52 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

How can you hear the score when it isn't released for another week?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Krall's theme is indeed obvious now that I've seen the film.  I had noticed that theme when listening, but thought it was another deconstructed variant of the main theme.  It's 5 notes and reminds me a bit of the first 5 notes of the main theme.

So the new themes are the Five Year Mission Theme, Krall's Theme, Jaylah's Theme, the Franklin Theme... and another one I noticed that seemed to maybe just be an action theme?  Any others?

I noticed some important unreleased cues

When Spock talks to Bones about Spock Prime, a really nice new variant of Spock's Theme is used.  It's great!  It's also more clearly Spock's Theme than the really altered variants that appear on the OST.

Krall's Theme had more appearances in the film than the few on the OST

I remember at least one action cue with a cool rhythm I didn't remember from the OST.

I believe there was a cool version of the Five Year Mission theme at the end of the movie that wasn't on the OST... I could be wrong about that though

In general a lot of music from the middle of the film seems to be missing from the OST

Overall its a good OST that covers most of the highlights, certainly covers all the new material very well.

The end credits in the final film was the same opening as always, be re-orchestrated, then Rihanna song, then the Yorktown cue, then the Courage fanfare ending like the first film's final moment I believe.  The final track on the OST isn't used.  I wonder if he wrote an unused middle end credits cue like on STID.  I love how ST09's end credits sutie integrated the villain's theme into it, which is rare for end credits suites.  Would be cool if he did that here,

5 hours ago, alan1984 said:

So that's definitely Ilia's Theme at the end of Crash Decisions, yeah?! :D

That's Spock's Theme.

~

Up for sale now in the US; You can also check these out to hear samples if you are waiting for the physical CD before listening to the whole thing

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bab3m7gaxwst2cvtnbf4xso7g44

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IC9VE1E

https://itunes.apple.com/in/album/id1133123160

~

Varese has uploaded some kind of video with some music too

Sheet music I see:

1m2 We Come In Pieces

1m5-6 To Thine Own Death Be True

1m7 We Make A Good Team

2m7 Dance Of The Nebula

2m8D Hitting The Saucer Hard

And we already knew 1m3 is Thank Your Lucky Stardate from the iggy

I've just started listening to it. It's wonderful. I'm only up to 'Night on the Yorktown,' and it already feels like one of his best scores. That 5 year mission theme is gorgeous and he's already done lots of new things with his main theme in just the first few pieces. Great stuff. As I'm only up to 'Night on the Yorktown,' does anyone know what that lovely moment is at 3:20 - 3:55 in that piece? 

Edit: still making my way through and holy crap his action material is brilliant. 'Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard' just wow. What he does with the B Theme of his Main Theme is stunning.

I love how he incorporates the various elements of the main theme in the action music. It sounds great!

Still getting to grips with the different themes - what is the 5 years mission theme?

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

The one from Thank Your Lucky Stardate (1:35) and Night On The Yorktown, etc

I had a feeling that was it.

It's a gorgeous theme.

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

3:03-3:10 in 'Motorcycles of Relief and 1:52-1:59 in 'Mocking Jaylah' Sounds like a nod to Horner's Wrath of Khan Main Theme. It feels similar.

Haven't heard OST yet, but Giacchino said in that live stream that he had incorporated subtle musical nods that true fans might notice.

Just the main body of his theme. The moment in Mocking Jaylah that I pointed out, sounds like it could reference this part 0:51-0:55 in the below video. Probably me just being nostalgic.

Yeah most likely. It just feels Hornerish, as does 3:03 in 'Motorcycles of Relief.' Just makes me smile.

Does anyone know what 3:20 - 3:50 in 'Night on the Yorktown' is yet? I might be missing something, but is it any particular theme or just a lovely solo moment?

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

3:03-3:10 in 'Motorcycles of Relief and 1:52-1:59 in 'Mocking Jaylah' Sounds like a nod to Horner's Wrath of Khan Main Theme. It feels similar.

I do not hear even a remote resemblance!

Pictures from the recording sessions

http://scoringsessions.com/2016/07/22/michael-giacchino-scores-star-trek-beyond/

http://scoringsessions.com/sessions/24545

Visible cue names and lengths

1m1 Trick Or Treaty 0:44
1m2 We Come In Pieces 1:07
1m3 Thank Your Lucky Star Date 2:24
1m3 Alt Ins 1 0:30
1m3 Alt Ins 2 0:54
1m4 Night On The Yorktown 5:??
1m4 Ins
1m5-6 To Thine Own Death Be True
1m7 We Make A Good Team
2m7 The Dance of the Nebula
2m9
3m10

I agree with both. I have a fondness for how Into Darkness was recorded - it definitely sounded a lot cleaner than 2009 - but the recording for this sounds better in quite a few cases. I'm actually a little torn as to which version of "Star Trek Main Theme" I prefer - the Into Darkness version or the Beyond version. It is intersting that Giacchino chose to slow down a passage of the theme though.

Does the brassy theme in Crash Decisions (which also appears towards the end of A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy on flutes) represent something or is it just a minor action motif. Anyway, it is absolutely great and Crash Decisions is definitely one of the best cues of the year.

I definitely hear a lot of Horner homage, which is nice.  Can't say I'm getting any "best action cue of the year" vibe from Crash Decisions though... not even best action cue of the score.

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

Does the brassy theme in Crash Decisions (which also appears towards the end of A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy on flutes) represent something or is it just a minor action motif. Anyway, it is absolutely great and Crash Decisions is definitely one of the best cues of the year.

I thought it stood for the Franklin, the other major starfleet ship in the movie

but I dont remember the context for the Vulcan Mineralogy segment

also MC had some more decent action material that was left off from the OST, like the middle section with Kirk and Chekov

So does anyone have a basic knowledge of the new themes and their placements throughout the score?

I'm still trying to figure out what 3:20 - 3:52 in 'Night on the Yorktown' is and whether it recurs elsewhere in the score.

I'm seeing the film tomorrow, so I am yet to fully absorb all the material until I know its proper context.