"Minority Report Score"-Spielberg comments

"Minority Report" reunites Spielberg with five-time Academy Award®-winning composer John Williams, with whom the director has collaborated on nineteen films over nearly three decades. For "Minority Report," Williams creates what Spielberg calls his "first black and white score" - a classic suspense score with little tonality. "I think all of John's previous movie work has been in 'color'," Spielberg explains, "but this score is more experimental. You feel it more than you hear it."

-From the official site: http://www.minorityreport.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. i really cannot wait for this score. it sounds like it's going to be very rhythmic and different for Williams. Spielberg's comments were definitely interesting, especially the "feeling the score more than hearing it" bit. i'm very excited for it!

why do so many people have a problem with Goldsmith? i think he is an amazing composer

Hey awesome!!! Can I judge a film score based on one comment just like you, Simon??? I'd love to be cool like that...

:music:

i'm glad not everyone is ripping him apart.

Ted- who likes both Goldsmith and Zimmer

why do so many people have a problem with Goldsmith? i think he is an amazing composer

He used to be an amazing composer.

K.M.

Hey awesome!!! Can I judge a film score based on one comment just like you, Simon???  I'd love to be cool like that...

:)

No. But when Spielberg says 'little tonality' - that disturbs me.

Williams has done some great little tonality stuff, so why does it disturb you?

Since we don't know what it sounds like yet, why must we argue about it now? Can't we wait til it's released and the argue about it?

~Harry :)

Minority Report is going to be one of the very best soundtracks (and hopefully movies) of the summer. It is almost the only film of the summer that is not a sequel or spin-off to another movie.

Anyhow, I think we can expect something very tense from Williams in this summer.

Minority Report is going to be one of the very best soundtracks (and hopefully movies) of the summer.

Wow, you heard it? Cool!

/Irony off

Williams has done some great little tonality stuff, so why does it disturb you?

Like what? A whole atonal score? Please enlighten me.

I like Goldsmith! :)  

Justin -Who unofficially likes Zimmer more. :lookaround:

With a screen name like John Zimmer I would say the you officially like Zimmer more.

Joe, who thinks Goldsmith is his second favorite composer, and the composer of the greatest piece of film music ever in Enterprise.

I still find the lack of news other than this ambiguous statement disturbing.

2 weeks until the soundtrack is released and we have no track titles.

The darkside is blocking our ability to see the future.

Hey, I officially LOVE Zimmer's music! I just heard his music from Spirit. My God, that main title piece called Homeland is really amazing stuff. If Williams had written the exact same piece, note-for-note, in the exact same arrangement we would all drool here.

But ofcourse now that it's Zimmer's creation it will undoubtly be labelled as 'meaningless' or 'lacking'.

I'm not taking anything away from Williams with these statements. Don't get me wrong; Williams is ofcourse king of the hill; he is THA MAN!, but I'm so glad I can enjoy the work of other composers too. Like Hans Zimmer.

No matter how you feel about him, you can't deny that the man has a gift for creating wonderful melodies. Driving from Driving Miss Daisy, every melody from The Lion King, the theme from Crimson Tide, the God-motif from The Prince Of Egypt, the love theme from Mission Impossible 2, As Good As It Gets,...

He CAN do it.

Bye,

Roald - hoping this won't turn into a Hans Zimmer flame war...

Sounds like it's going to be very GOLDSMITH. Boring. Sad.

Actually, ever since I saw the first trailer, I was hoping Williams would do a Goldsmith on this one. Something rhythmic, organic, minimalistic. I can't wait to hear it!

Marian - who likes some Zimmer stuff, but other than that officially dislikes MV.

Marian - who likes some Zimmer stuff, but other than that officially dislikes MV.

(Though Chicken Run is absolutely amazing, as is the film)

Marian - making an important correction to his previous statement.

I don't like Zimmer a lot, although there are some things he has done that is not bad, but Spirit? I went and saw that and the score was worse than horrible. It was... I have no words! I was dumbfounded. But that's the thing about music.... We all have our different opinions and that's a good thing! I might hate it, but others liked it.

Ocelot

Minority Report looks like a great movie and should open #1 that weekend unless Lilo and Stitch draws the kids by the truckloads.

Well, Chicken Run isn't the only good Media Ventures score out there. anyone heard Antz? The Colony Theme (the whistled one) is still one the great themes from the '90's. I love the score for Armageddon, Twister, etc. Not all directly Media Ventures, but still...

I think that Hans Zimmer (and the Media Ventures) have become the black sheep of film music. The problem is that everyone seems so overly opionated about it.

I don't really see why. I'd like to believe that Zimmer is bringing film music to a wider audience. His scores for The Lion King and Gladiator have sold millions. They recieved mainstream attention. I remember people talking about the music after seeing The Rock. Zimmer isn't hurting the industry; he's popularising it like Williams has done before him.

Zimmer is a wonderful composer. You may prefer old-school film scoring, but there isn't a rule that says all film composers must be classically trained, that they must write for traditional instruments, etc. Nowhere is it stated that a film score can't be driven by rock chords or electric guitars.

In the end it all comes back to personal taste. And from there Hans Zimmer isn't any better or worse than Jerry Goldsmith or Korngold himself.

It all depends on how YOU define a good film score.

Bye,

Roald - who really liked the score in K-PAX, but concluded that it was totally devoid of any traditional element...

Sounds like it's going to be very GOLDSMITH. Boring. Sad.

Actually, ever since I saw the first trailer, I was hoping Williams would do a Goldsmith on this one. Something rhythmic, organic, minimalistic. I can't wait to hear it!

So, as an admirer of John Williams' work, you hope he creates something that sounds like other composers - makes sense to me.... :mrgreen:

Well, what's wrong with that? I don't want him to write Goldsmith Goldsmith. I want him to write a Goldsmith score with a Williams touch. Would be something new. :music:

Well, Chicken Run isn't the only good Media Ventures score out there. anyone heard Antz? The Colony Theme (the whistled one) is still one the great themes from the '90's. I love the score for Armageddon, Twister, etc. Not all directly Media Ventures, but still...

Antz had some nice parts, but overall felt too MV-ish for me. Armageddon was perfect for the film, which isn't a compliment at all.

Marian - who still considers that the worst film ever made.

:mrgreen: Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

True. Or, to make it clear once and forever: Something that has has all the cool stuff Goldsmith does while still being clearly Williams.

Marian - who likes both composers VERY much.

This isn't entirely relevant, but recently, Goldsmith's adventure scores have been very tonal -- just check out The Mummy and The Thirteenth Warrior.

In fact, in terms of lyricism (not tonality), Goldsmith's adventures scores are whole lot more melodic and hummable than Williams's latest.

So, as an admirer of John Williams' work, you hope he creates something that sounds like other composers - makes sense to me

Of course, one wants to hear Williams do it better :mrgreen:

In fact, in terms of lyricism (not tonality), Goldsmith's adventures scores are whole lot more melodic and hummable than Williams's latest.

Yeah, right :sarcasm:

So, as an admirer of John Williams' work, you hope he creates something that sounds like other composers - makes sense to me

Of course, one wants to hear Williams do it better :)

Yeah, right :sarcasm:

Um, I was being serious. Try humming "Zam the Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant" or "Jango's Escape" vs. humming, say, "The Fire Dragon" from Goldsmith's Thirteenth Warrior" or the action cues underscoring Mulan's heroic maneuvers in Mulan or "The Drones Attack" from Star Trek: Insurrection. I'm not trying to attack Williams's style in any way; I'm just saying that Goldsmith's action music tends to be more melodic and way easier to hum/whistle/etc.

Yes, but adventure scores aren't only action and Williams currently has better themes than Goldsmith.

I'm just saying that Goldsmith's action music tends to be more melodic and way easier to hum/whistle/etc.

Does this statement include music from Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, and Alien?

Bruckhorn, who likes his Goldsmith pushing the envelope...