Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

I'm gonna call it and say yes!

Listened to TFA again. This isnt music for a goodbye, for closure, for handing over the baton to a new generation.

John Williams means to finish what he started with this.

If he will stay healthy, then he will finish the trilogy!

He's never worked with Rian Johnson before. Have they even met?

if he doesn't like his personality, he won't work with him. Episode 7 took 12 months to score. Would you want to spend a year working with someone you don't like at 84?

If the directors of these two movies are not idiots, I guess they will ask for John Williams.

Oh, I think Kathleen Kennedy has more say in who scores Episode 8 than Rian Johnson does.

John Williams will definitely get asked.

It's just a big commitment, and I'm not sure if its one he's willing to take again at this stage in his life, especially with someone he's completely unfamiliar with.

If the directors of these two movies are not idiots, I guess they will ask for John Williams.

Oh, I think Kathleen Kennedy has more say in who scores Episode 8 than Rian Johnson does.

Oh I'm sure.

And she and JW go way back. I feel Williams is determined to score them all, Kennedy wants him too, It is simply a matter of health etc.

But he genuinly seems to be Ok now!

Listened to TFA again. This isnt music for a goodbye, for closure, for handing over the baton to a new generation.

I totally agree.

He's never worked with Rian Johnson before. Have they even met?

if he doesn't like his personality, he won't work with him. Episode 7 took 12 months to score. Would you want to spend a year working with someone you don't like at 84?

Johnson comes across similarly to JJ on Twitter, a nerdy, excited, affable presence. I don't think he has any sort of reputation for being difficult to work with.

I very much hope he will do both 8 and 9, but of course it's not just a matter of his will. It could depend on several factors. Other than health first and foremost and establishing a collaboration with new very young directors (but this could be a plus for him and maybe even refreshing), I think it has mostly to do with schedule and other commitments he might have at the same time (new Spielberg films, concerts, etc). For example, the staggered schedule he had on Ep7 could have been a double-edged sword. As he said in the Tavis Smiley interview, he prefers to have a fairly completed film to work his usual modus operandi, but he surely appreciated the luxury of reworking and maybe even improving on things he already wrote the months before. Maybe the next films will have a more linear post-production process and his workflow will be the same he always had.

Maybe the next films will have a more linear post-production process and his workflow will be the same he always had.

I hope so!

As he said in the Tavis Smiley interview, he prefers to have a fairly completed film to work his usual modus operandi, but he surely appreciated the luxury of reworking and maybe even improving on things he already wrote the months before. Maybe the next films will have a more linear post-production process and his workflow will be the same he always had.

He also mentioned that this result seemed specific to how JJ prefers to edit. Rian could be more traditional.

I think the only thing stopping him from scoring 8 and 9 is his health. Even a schedule conflict with a Spielberg movie wouldn't cause him to abandon the franchise.

He said himself in an interview that scoring TFA gave him a renewed vitality.

I want the answer to be yes but of course who can know with his advanced age. But speaking of 8 and 9, I want a director to really push JW into new territory the way Alfonso Cuaron seemed to do with POA which resulted in a fantastic, fresh, and complex score so unlike what had come before but still fitting with the film and stellar on it's own. That kind of tone shift would be great for this new trilogy I think and would mirror the shift we hear from the ANH score to the ESB score.

Said it in the other thread already.... I bloody hope so! I'm really enjoying his new score. It's different to what I expected, and yet so familiar.

I don't think Rian Johnson would dare not to ask Williams. Who wants to make a Star Wars film without John Williams? Where's fun in that?

Karol

Seriously, if I were a director working on Star Wars working with JW would be like half of the appeal. And time and time again he has proven adaptable and just flat out better than any composer out there. There's nothing he can't do to enhance a film musically. And he seems to be a joy to work with going from what everyone says.

Said it in the other thread already.... I bloody hope so! I'm really enjoying his new score. It's different to what I expected, and yet so familiar.

I don't think Rian Johnson would dare not to ask Williams. Who wants to make a Star Wars film without John Williams? Where's fun in that?

Karol

Yeah, I think Johnson is probably dying for a Williams score as much as Abrams was (well, maybe a little less...hard to compete with JJ's fanboy-ism!)

Desplat is an intelligent bloke and a fantastic musician. Can he be John Williams? Nope, not really. But he can give us a clever score that plays in that sonic world, I'm sure he will honour the maestro in his upcoming one. That being direct theme references, or even just some more general style. He said in several interviews that Star Wars was one score that made him want to do this job in the first place. It would have been idiotic to think he wouldn't want to do his absolutely best on this one. And Disney will want him to get close to that as well, given how the new film is doing some massive box office business.

Karol

Absolutely! Is Abrams producing Episode 8 as well? If so, he'll definitely have a say on it, too. I think the gig is Williams if he wants it.

The spinoff films give the opportunity to hear different stylistic choices for the universe and I welcome that. I think Desplat is a wonderful choice to give such an opportunity, and he certainly has the chops to bring something special to the table.

If he will stay healthy, then he will finish the trilogy!

I'm certain. And I absolutely hope he does.

Should he be unable to do it, perhaps he'll suggest Dudamel...