Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score episodes 8 and 9?

A year or two from now?  If Williams is scoring Episode 8, he'll have to begin work as soon as he's done with The BFG.  Or actually, probably as soon as he returns to LA after the Boston concerts in May or the Tanglewood concert in August.  The film opens in 16 months and it took him a year to write Episode 7's score.

7 hours ago, king mark said:

I think as long as he's able to he'll score them .The big question is how his health will be a year or 2 from now. 84 is starting to be really old

84 is the new 74!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

A year or two from now?  If Williams is scoring Episode 8, he'll have to begin work as soon as he's done with The BFG.  Or actually, probably as soon as he returns to LA after the Boston concerts in May or the Tanglewood concert in August.  The film opens in 16 months and it took him a year to write Episode 7's score.

Not familiar with Rian Johnson's editing process, but they're already shooting the film as we speak, so I imagine preliminary talks between the director and composer should be right around the corner.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Williams already started working on BFG, as it was stated by himself here, so it's likel the score will be recorded somewhere between March and April, presumably. After that, he has a round of concerts to do in Philadelphia and Boston.

Other than preliminary shooting with Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley at Skellig Michael done last October, Episode VIII main photography hasn't started yet, as the Pinewood stages are still busy with Rogue One sets. Word on the street is that they're aiming to roll cameras this spring until summer. I don't think Williams will start any writing before seeing some footage. It's still unknown if this film's post-production method will be the same as used by JJ Baby for TFA, but it's safe to assume the film will not be spotted before October/ November, so it's likely Williams will start writing the score around that time.

I wonder how much Williams is aware of those stories that JJ's been spinning.

If he doesn't call Johnson "baby" then it could only be interpreted as a complete rejection of him as a person, everything he stands for, and his ability as a filmmaker, let alone what it ultimately says about the new film and direction of the franchise.

Hey,

Now that Disney and Lucasfilm hace dropped the news that Star Wars Ep 8 has been pushed back to Dec 2017 which is also the month spielbergs next movie after The BFG is planned for release called Ready Player One. Do you think its likely JW will score it? Or do you think he will commit to Ready Player One intead? :(

"Today, Disney and Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release in summer 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017.

The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere outside the traditional summer blockbuster window and smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861.3 million and the third biggest global release ever with $1,886.7 billion.

• 1 month later...

For cryin' out loud, give the po' kid a break, dammit! He's 14! Remember when you were 14? I remember when I was 14. I was a right cocky bastard.

JWfaners are suposed to build-up fellow posters, not to tear them down.

I will say this, dude, however: your grammar needs a bit of work doing to it.

1 hour ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Will JW conduct and wrote 8 and 9

Nobody knows, Disney hasn't announced anything and his official resume hasn't even been updated to include The BFG yet.

http://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/WILLIAMS_JOHN.pdf

The filming has begun, so normally the composer has been choosen.

Do we have to hire bothans if we want infos on this @$//^^&  forum?

;-)

Maybe I'm a worry wart, but I think it's concerning that Williams hasn't been announced, yet.  Williams expressed interest in TFA very early on, but I haven't heard him talk about Episode VIII, yet.  Furthermore, nobody is asking him about Episode VIII!  Is it a forbidden question??

I'm guessing as far as Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson are concerned, the job is his if he wants it.  And as far as Johnny is concerned, he's probably waiting until after The BFG is done before deciding if he's going to do it - maybe he won't even decide until he's done traveling for all the concerts he has this year.

It doesn't matter yet; The film opens December 2017!  He won't start writing it until Spring 2017 at the earliest.  I doubt even if a teaser trailer for it is attached to Rogue One this December, it won't have any new music in it.

I agree.
I doubt very much Kennedy would consider having anyone else over Williams at this point if Williams is willing and able to do it. And I also doubt Johnson has anywhere near the clout as a director to demand otherwise if he wanted to.

For myself I am just going to assume that Williams will score Episode 8 and 9. He certainly announced that this was his intention. Health may interfere, but I think thats the only thing that would stop him from doing it.

At this point, no news is actually good news since it's assumed Williams will do it.  No doubt Kennedy and Johnson already know he's on board.  I agree with Jay that we can't forget all of the concerts he has planned this Spring in Philly and Boston, including later this Summer, plus he's still deep into scoring BFG right now.

I say it's a given until the point of no return should he be unable to continue due to health reasons.

Maybe... I'm guessing... I doubt...  I say... :sarcasm:

Chewie, prepare to make the jump to hyperspace.

We must find some bothans!

He signed on for TFA quite early but really didn't start writing until about a year before release (and that was only for a trailer).

As already mentioned, there's no rush to announce anything. JW doesn't need to write anything for an entire year unless they want him scoring the trailers again.