Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

BLUMENKOHL

Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Rey's Theme ? John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

• YES! Sweeping, malleable, chameleon, fresh, beautiful, and perfect!
    • NO! It's terrible!
    • Maybe, it's too early to tell, but it keeps growing on me!
    • I'm a Communist and believe all themes are equal, though Rey's Theme is more equal than other themes.
    • I don't have any opinion yet

Typical new-Williams-release overreaction. No, it is not.

It doesn't grab immediate attention, it lacks the long lined Williams punch, and is just uninteresting in the score except for the concert Theme itself and the finale Piece.

Go back to the Tolkien subforum!

It doesn't grab immediate attention, it lacks the long lined Williams punch, and is just uninteresting in the score except for the concert Theme itself and the finale Piece.

Funny, because as shortchanged as the BotFA soundtrack was in some ways, it's vastly more original than TFA.

Funny. I almost was responding to gggyver's post but then realized why to bother, what an unmusical and cold bloke he is. And how tired I am of that endless Tolkien shit. fuck!

For me, Rey's theme is Williams' best SW theme for sure, this soon. I'm not a big "theme fan", I love different atmospheres, orchestrations etc. in music. Hummable themes are just not enough for me. And of course the context they are written for.

NO, but it's pretty good

I prefer it to any of the Harry Potter themes.

Anyone who thinks Williams has lost his touch has no clue. What a transcendent, emotive, intellectually and heartfelt written theme. Not one other composer in Hollywood could've written such a layered and complex piece for a modern film.

This is the worst I've heard from Williams since Anakin's Theme.

There are no clear points to stick the theme on and the arrangement is practically non-existent.

The "AB" form exists for a reason and that's to keep everything in proper working order. It also calls for repetition, to reinforce the theme, so that it becomes memorable, without the lack of contrast, so that it doesn't sound like one big riff on an "A" part.

I was expecting the music to spell out the scene in the movie ( I haven't seen it yet) like it did in the past with STAR WARS, which is still the best way to "play it".

This is the worst I've heard from Williams since Anakin's Theme.

There are no clear points to stick the theme on and the arrangement is practically non-existent.

The "AB" form exists for a reason and that's to keep everything in proper working order. It also calls for repetition, to reinforce the theme, so that it becomes memorable, without the lack of contrast, so that it doesn't sound like one big riff on an "A" part.

I was expecting the music to spell out the scene in the movie ( I haven't seen it yet) like it did in the past with STAR WARS, which is still the best way to "play it".

u3lWw.gif

It also calls for repetition, to reinforce the theme, so that it becomes memorable, without the lack of contrast, so that it doesn't sound like one big riff on an "A" part.

Yeah, because the Raiders March totally doesn't do that...

i like Reys theme but he is just going through the motions, you can tell when he's out of ideas when he just uses the old trick of the trade changes key usually up a half step.. I like the Artificial Intelligence sounding horn statement in the middle.

It fits the film ok but harmonically it's bland compared to Across the Stars, or say Anakins Theme.

Does anyone notice how much it sounds like Jane Eyre?! ;)

I would say Across the Stars is Williams going through the motions more than Rey's theme. He captured Rey's character perfectly. I can't help but be reminded of Hook when I hear Across the Stars. I still love it, though.

They're all great examples of Williams perfectly capturing what the filmmakers in both instances failed to. He scores what they're MEANT to be, not what they ARE.

Lucas' inept direction needs no explanation, but Spielberg really failed with both Mutt and Spalko. You get the sense of what these people are meant to be but they just never reach it.

KOCS has something similar with Mutt's Theme and Irina's theme. Which don't really fit the characters.

The hoe-down scherzo for Mutt is one of the more outlandish concoctions - but Williams has often written themes that seem a bit out-of-synch with their movies. Which of course works great for the albums.

Seriously, how cool is this section of the finale when he plays the Force theme and Rey's theme off of each other?

7:26 - 7:46

Where IS the "FINALE?"

I don't HEAR it!

"Communist" as in OLD Russia and China do NOT believe that "everything is equal".

Funny, because as shortchanged as the BotFA soundtrack was in some ways, it's vastly more original than TFA.

What is BOTFA?

It fits the film ok but harmonically it's bland compared to Across the Stars, or say Anakins Theme.

Does anyone notice how much it sounds like Jane Eyre?! ;)

Yes, "Across the Stars" sounds very similar to Jane Eyre.

It also calls for repetition, to reinforce the theme, so that it becomes memorable, without the lack of contrast, so that it doesn't sound like one big riff on an "A" part.

Yeah, because the Raiders March totally doesn't do that...

RAIDERS MARCH has an intro, an A part and a B part and an outro.

Wait... Gkkkvyer and Sky38 don't like it?! Who would've thought...

Duplicate accounts.

Nope!

Thankfully it's all over the score. It definitely didn't get short shrift.

The Kardashian's are all over the news, and they don't get "short shrift."

It doesn't mean that they are worth a f*ck, though........

Thankfully it's all over the score. It definitely didn't get short shrift.

The Kardashian's are all over the news, and they don't get "short shrift."

It doesn't mean that they are worth a f*ck, though........

Okay that was funny.

I don't know about the best - the idea would have never occurred to me without this thread, but certainly I feel the flute solo at the end of The Scavenger is up there with Williams' most beautiful moments.

The rendition of the statement at the very end before the 'Luke's Theme Jingle' (which very much feels similar to Giacchino's ending to his Trek score End Credits) where it plays the last half of her theme is such a great moment. I voted it as one of his best themes, but there's no option to vote it as just that and not the fascist yes or no answer.

On 12/21/2015 at 7:34 PM, mrbellamy said:

Yes, "Across the Stars" sounds very similar to Jane Eyre.

Not even CLOSE!

Just like those other people, who say that REY'S THEME sounds like DOUBLE TROUBLE (from Harry Potter)

14 hours ago, loert423 said:

One of my favourite things about the score is the way Rey's theme subtly hints at the Force theme. A perfect example of foreshadowing through music.

Quite fittingly enough, MY version of REY'S THEME uses the first two notes of Ben's Theme.

Oh, btw, there WAS a large body of Jedi *absent* for TFA, because it should have done 300 mil, instead of "just" 238 mil.