Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

BLUMENKOHL

Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. Rey's Theme ? John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

• YES! Sweeping, malleable, chameleon, fresh, beautiful, and perfect!
    • NO! It's terrible!
    • Maybe, it's too early to tell, but it keeps growing on me!
    • I'm a Communist and believe all themes are equal, though Rey's Theme is more equal than other themes.
    • I don't have any opinion yet

6 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I'm still having a hard time imagining Rey's theme existing in the Harry Potter world as many people have claimed.  It doesn't work for any of the Harry Potter characters.  Williams couldn't have made a better theme for Rey as it fits perfectly in the film and within the Star Wars universe.

I get the general comparison because of the bells and the flutes dancing around in her theme. It reminds people of whimsy and magic and light fantasy/adventure. Also her intro motif is a little bit "Double Trouble". ;)

14 hours ago, Demodex said:

Every theme from the prequels other than Anakin's is better than Rey's. 

Humor, it's a difficult concept.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think he should die for those words!

now i know whose painful limb rendering death we were talking about the other day. 

Rey's theme: more of background texture ideas ripped from his previous soundtracks, not so much a genius theme.

This being called one of John Williams's best themes yet I thought was a joke. (?)

We can respect the composer in general. As my favorite composer, and the reason he's so great, I'd say I have a good top 100 themes and not sure yet if I would add Rey's theme in there.

I believe many people could compose something very similar to Rey's theme. The music does not stand out as particular visionary.

It is not really the same standard as most of his genius themes: in melodic structure it is very messy and more difficult to follow, especially rhythmically pretty one-tone and bland, except there is a light in the dark: a very simple up-and-down a third I can accept as a good starting point for a theme. But, seriously. Judgment, standards? Not anywhere as catchy and wondrous as most of his stuff.

Most likely reason for people pushing this to such praise is the hype of newness and seeing good in anything, especially when it's the new STAR WARS. I can understand that, trust me. This this inborn desire for certain people to love new things and think of "old" as an insult.

Going to wait for the hype to die down though and for people to be real and take off their rose-tinted glasses.

I think it's definitely more the love of Star Wars, the passion for this new movie and Rey's character that gets people enjoying this new soundtrack and listening over and over. I can respect that. But I can't attribute this to being anywhere near his best work, that's really (really) silly imo. Everyone's entitled to their taste, okay, but if I had to guess, most of this is temporary hype.

5 minutes ago, Cantus Venti said:

I think it's definitely more the love of Star Wars, the passion for this new movie and Rey's character that gets people enjoying this new soundtrack and listening over and over. I can respect that. But I can't attribute this to being anywhere near his best work, that's really (really) silly imo. Everyone's entitled to their taste, but I think it's just temporary hype.

Ok

It's in my top 10 Williams themes.

12 minutes ago, Cantus Venti said:

Never say something so harsh. Sure, Rey's theme won't be standing any great test of time and will be pretty easily forgotten, but it's still Williams.

Still too soon to say, but I wouldn't say it would be easily forgotten due to the popularity of Rey's character.  In fact, I'd argue part of her popularity is because of her theme.  Also, not only does it appeal to Star Wars fan but Harry Potter fans seem to be taken by it, too. ;)

Hmm well, I believe the theme will be easily forgotten actually, just not the character. (Actually the theme is already easily forgotten. I don't hear any film geeks humming it or remembering it.)

19 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

In fact, I'd argue part of her popularity is because of her theme. 

Oh please. Maybe Jar Jar just needed a better theme and he'd be beloved by movie critics!

And it's weird that Han is so popular considering he doesn't even have a theme!

27 minutes ago, Cantus Venti said:

Hmm well, I believe the theme will be easily forgotten actually, but not the character. (Actually the theme is already easily forgotten. I don't hear any film geeks humming it or remembering it.)

To me it's not only melodically and rhythmically unmemorable, but a bit too flat and simplistic and pretty typical-sounding as far as modern film music goes. There is a small hint of Williams sophistication in the overall orchestration and development, but nothing very new or unique.

Nearly 3 million views (listens in this case) and counting.  Not bad for an unmemorable theme.

Sure. I mean a million people on earth go to rewatch a video an average of 3 times from the brand new Star Wars movie. Not too surprising to me. An exponentially incredibly higher amount of people go on daily to listen to terrible pop music. There are over 7 billion people on earth. So some have definitely heard of Star Wars.

I guess the complexity comes from the gorgeous orchestrations; no other working composer matches his mastery of the orchestra.

The theme is indeed relatively short and simple, but so are The Imperial March, Leia's Theme and the Force Theme. It's what he does with them in orchestrations and tonality that makes them so memorable.

I'd agree that John Williams is the master of film music. I would argue a lot of it is the catchiness of his melodies, along with the style and rhythm he puts them to definitely, but the melody seems to come paramount. Rey's Theme's like I said, is simplistic, not simple like his best works, but more flat and rhythmically one-tone and typical-sounding. I hear almost like a JW random melody generator that uses recycled tones to form this melody from an algorithm, and it turns out unfocused-sounding and very incomplete. I don't hear a flash of inspiration in this music, like a complete picture of a motif that will be sung through the ages, like how his best music usually comes across. Nothing too memorable or visionary about it. A great rhythmic structure or sensible melody is just not there to me. I hear the makings of a potential good melody with the up-and-down a third at the beginning of it.

Actually, taking that up-and-down a third to an interesting level would be Hook's theme. A great theme, but it had so many more sensible notes and harmonies, like the IV7 also used in Close Encounter's theme.

I have the same thoughts myself. I agree with everything you said aside from you not liking my analogy for what the music indeed sounds like, JW does know what he's doing a lot of the time. It is still not one of his best tracks. With the lack of great content it offers in comparison to the hundred better ideas he's come up with, can he come up with better music for the next movie, if that is what you're saying? Sure. Most definitely. I don't believe a theme needs to be scattered or aimless to give a character who exudes any of these qualities a chance at wonderfully fitting thematic music. The music of TFA came across very muted and a loss of great potential. The movie somehow rose above this fact. JW's music for the original trilogy went far beyond the film.

While I sharply disagree with Cantus, I don't feel like people simply responding with "ok" in this thread and on the forum in general is really productive.  It's dismissive to the opinions of others.  

I await the series of "ok"'s that this comment attracts.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's simply a way to state you disagree and are rather puzzled by the persons comments.

Then say that instead.  "Ok" is just dismissive, like you don't even have the time to acknowledge someone else's thoughts.  Maybe you had a different intention, but that's how it comes off.

Indeed. A lot of people didn't "get" Rey's Theme at first. So it's certainly not a case of it being a Star Wars hype.

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

Then say that instead.  "Ok" is just dismissive, like you don't even have the time to acknowledge someone else's thoughts.  Maybe you had a different intention, but that's how it comes off.

That's how it comes off to you! I'm not responsible for the way you interpret my comments. Especially since they weren't even directed at you.

This Cantu guy was far more dismissive of people here then my "ok" ever was.

And who the hell are you to tell me how to formulate my opinion anyway?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This Cantu guy was far more dismissive of people here then my "ok" ever was.

Yeah, writing off the positive reaction to the theme as being the product of "rose-tinted glasses" was far more dismissive than saying "Ok"

3 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

You just keep digging that hole.

What hole? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Yeah, writing off the positive reaction to the theme as being the product of "rose-tinted glasses" was far more dismissive than saying "Ok"

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Well, once again, just say that instead.  I am not really interested in calling out anyone or bickering with them, not that you were, Mr. Big.  I was merely commenting on something I have seen on this forum for discussion that is not conducive to discussion.  It's the type of echo chamber tactics that I think deters a lot of people from coming here.  I have commented in the past how that type of stuff is why I myself am so on-and-off with this site myself.  I certainly can't imagine that Cantus will feel compelled to continue to share his/her opinions, however difficult to interpret they are, after having them written off like that.

You are taking my comments as much more directive than I mean them.  I am not telling anyone how to interact.  I am saying "ok" comments are dismissive.  Continue to use them for all I care.

3 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I am saying "ok" comments are dismissive.

Yes they are. And what exactly is your problem with that?

Cantus was extremely dismissive to people who love Rey's Theme, perhaps you should address that too?

Look, I don't know you, judging from your post count you probably havent been here very long. But if "ok" bothers you, then I really don't know how you are going to get through life.

Welcome to JWFan anyway. It's a good thing that great tracks like Rey's Theme have brought new members like you in our midst.

There are only a handful of people to which I am able to assign an actual identity that separates them from the brown greyish murky stew of posts here though. So many people, so many opinions, all so indistinct and bland.

But I noticed you today, so well done!